Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Never read him

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Good kids books

:)

Although the dark tower is amusing enough if you read most of his books

:)

Dark Tower is gash and proof positive that being good in one genre does not automatically mean you'll be good in another

Old Koontz is similar, but to my mind never quite had the same level of ideas. His best was one I can't remember the name of but it got adapted into a tv film with Alicia Silverstone as the daughter of b movie stalwart Jeff Goldblum. Was V. creepy and the final battle between good and bad was in a deserted theme park
too vague.

yes, you can. do you think people are born with certain tastes? or that they get developed over time?

yes yes, alright smartarse, they get developed over time. and my tastes developed away from Stephen King. So what? this is a thread asking people's opinions on Stephen King, not a Stephen King love-in where I probably wouldn't have bothered posting.

DotCommunist said:
Dark Tower is gash and proof positive that being good in one genre does not automatically mean you'll be good in another

I tried to read/like Dark Tower but gave up part way through.

i thought that the dark tower series, of which i haven't read the most recent only the first seven, was pretty good.

but did anyone on this thread really turn to king for anything more than a spot of horror or fantasy?

He has produced a long list of enjoyable yarns. I also recommend On Writing.

He is quite similar to Neil Gaiman in the way he gets an old phrase or word and plays about with it enough to make it into a story.

because he's so dull. he goes on and on and on and i think to myself there's a good story in here but i can't be bothered anymore and then i put the book down and nothing of value was lost. reading stephen king makes me wish i could punch him in the face. i really don't get how anyone can enjoy that turgid prose, the boring characters, etc etc. even at his best he needs a good editor.
i think what you mean here isn't that king is dull, but that YOU find him dull, which is a rather different thing. if instead of your assertion that 'he's so dull', that his writing is 'turgid prose', you had prefaced your statements with 'in my view' i might have more respect for your position. but you clearly believe that your opinion is universally correct, given the lack of qualification. you shouldn't have bothered posting imo given that you don't believe anyone else's better opinion of him is comprehensible.

i thought that the dark tower series, of which i haven't read the most recent only the first seven, was pretty good.

but did anyone on this thread really turn to king for anything more than a spot of horror or fantasy?
Some people aren't happy unless every book they read "subverts the genre", "is a hilarious send up" or "pushes the limits of the novel". It must be very tiring for them.

I enjoy reading his books on the whole. Not great art but good, solid writing and genuinely scary at times.

His later ones I've found a bit turgid but I'd still pick him for a 'good read'

Dans Macarbe is a good breakdown of how to write horror. Well, not 'how to write horror' but 'How I stephen King approach the genre'

useful in a way but more interesting than useful. To see the way a writers mind works when he's in the genre vinegars

Dans Macarbe is a good breakdown of how to write horror. Well, not 'how to write horror' but 'How I stephen King approach the genre'

useful in a way but more interesting than useful. To see the way a writers mind works when he's in the genre vinegars

That's On Writing. Danse Macabre is his take on the history of horror genre in general in books, TV, comics and film. It's very readable and interesting.

I read them only when there is nothing left to read, including the internet. I do not see the attraction of his books.

Idiots. All the best dystopian fiction from the last 20/30 years owes a massive debt to The Stand. End of story.

Idiots. All the best dystopian fiction from the last 20/30 years owes a massive debt to The Stand. End of story.

Dystopia has roots older than King by centuries. Fucking centuries! Revelation of St John the Divine? Paradise Lost? John fucking Wyndham was writing bourgeois dystopias when King was but a gleam in the milkmans eye

Is The Stand even dystopian ? It's more a mixture of apocalyptic fiction, religious horror and fantasy. Dystopian fiction suggests a future under a controlling regime that is within the realms of science fiction, rather than that of Christian mythology where part of the world is ruled by the devil or a demon.

I'm sure it does Dot. Not what I said though, is it.

And Reno. No, that is not an accurate definition of dystopian fiction. At all.

Old Koontz is similar, but to my mind never quite had the same level of ideas. His best was one I can't remember the name of but it got adapted into a tv film with Alicia Silverstone as the daughter of b movie stalwart Jeff Goldblum. Was V. creepy and the final battle between good and bad was in a deserted theme park

Hideaway. There is also his Demon Seed, made into a film in the late 1970s.

Is The Stand even dystopian ? It's more a mixture of apocalyptic fiction, religious horror and fantasy. Dystopian fiction suggests a future under a controlling regime that is within the realms of science fiction, rather than that of Christian mythology where part of the world is ruled by the devil or a demon.

The stand also has one of the concrete examples of the Magical Wise Black Lady beloved of american fictions

I'm sure it does Dot. Not what I said though, is it.

And Reno. No, that is not an accurate definition of dystopian fiction. At all.

No you sy=suggested that the BEST dystopian fiction owes a debt to the stand and I'm saying 'bollocks does it' because although its probably my favourite stephen king story it in no way holds such a grand influence as to suggest other authors have followed in his footsteps. To quote the great lit theorist roy walker, your assertion 'is good, but its not right'

an effortless victory over the forces of people who state their opinions as fact on threads asking people's opinion. i like you pickman's, but i can see why so many people want you dead.
It's one thing to state your opinion, it's another to say you won't entertain anyone else's whose view is contrary to yours. But that's what you do above. I never said this was a victory, you did, it's not a fucking game.

Back
Top Bottom