Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely science post thread

The point is what happens when you cut the engine.

The gravitational pull does decrease with distance, so if you travel far enough, your 2000kph will be the escape velocity from that distance and you won't fall back.

How far would you have to travel? I make it about 2.5 million km (several times the distance to the Moon), which would take about 50 days at that speed.

(using back of fag packet, Escape Velocity and Earth)

ve = sqrt(2GM/d)
so distance = 2GM/v^2

2 * 6.67*10^-11 * 5.972*10^24 / (2000 * 1000 / 3600)^2
2581193952.00000000000005164452 (distance in meters)
last / (2000 * 1000 * 24)
53.77487400000000000000 (time to travel that distance in days)
Ah, that suddenly makes a lot of sense, in particular when considering your first sentence. Cheers! :)

An interesting looking beast

barreleye fish with it's eyes visible through it's transparent head's eyes visible through it's transparent head

Fish with 2 brains. :hmm:

A Gamma Ray Burst from 2.4 million light years away, causes electrical currents in the earth that were picked up by an amateur.

Klekociuk's unusual "ham rig" uses Earth itself as a giant antenna. In his back garden there are two metal spikes stuck into the ground 75 meters apart. They are connected to a receiver via buried wires. In recent years amateur radio operators have been experimenting with this weird kind of antenna to detect VLF radio signals circling our planet in the Earth-ionosphere waveguide. Earth's crust forms one of the waveguide's walls, allowing Earth Probe Antennas to detect distant transmitters.
Pretty impressive.

Partial solar eclipse today, visible from the UK, but only around 10-20% or so in extent. Maximum in about 10 minutes (roughly noon). Will be over by 2pm.
Partial solar eclipse, 25 October, 2022.

"Blue aurora" seen from Sweden last Wednesday (early evening).

1667743534591.png
Most likely this 'cloud' is actually the remnants of the exhaust from a Russian SLBM (RSM-56 Bulava) test launch that day, from the Barents to the Kura test range:

New SI unit prefixes agreed - ronna/ronto and quetta/quecto (1e±27/30). Chosen for uniqueness and avoidance of confusion ie clarity in the SI family of units (R/r/Q/q). One Earth mass is now ~6 Rg, or order of one ronnagram.

Last edited:
We have an informal toilet roll system in our house for when a roll is close to running out. The next roll is left in readiness on top of the adjacent radiator. Our elder daughter has given us a row. Having done a fire safety course at work, she says all that’s needed for a conflagration is heat, oxygen and fuel. She believes the requirements are fulfilled by this habit.

Back me up: I have left a box of matches on the radiator to troll her. This is scientifically fine.

We have an informal toilet roll system in our house for when a roll is close to running out. The next roll is left in readiness on top of the adjacent radiator. Our elder daughter has given us a row. Having done a fire safety course at work, she says all that’s needed for a conflagration is heat, oxygen and fuel. She believes the requirements are fulfilled by this habit.

Back me up: I have left a box of matches on the radiator to troll her. This is scientifically fine.
Paging dessiato

“Heat” is ill-defined and represents both a suitable temperature and an ignition source.

You have all the potential bits required once you’ve added the matches.

Back
Top Bottom