Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely science post thread

New mission planned for 2026 to study domes on the Moon.

Over the course of 10 Earth days (one lunar day), Lunar-VISE will explore the summit of one of the Gruithuisen Domes. These domes are suspected to have been formed by a sticky magma rich in silica, similar in composition to granite. On Earth, formations like these need oceans of liquid water and plate tectonics to form, but without these key ingredients on the Moon, lunar scientists have been left to wonder how these domes formed and evolved over time.

This has to be my top headline of the week:

Topped even by this one

Topped even by this one

I prefer the first one because it wouldn’t have occurred to me to assume they don’t have anuses, but “I am on ur face fuckin’ mah honeyz” has a bit more immediate ick value.

Moles of red blood cells and coins and stuff feels a bit too abstracted to mean anything (to me). :confused:

And how did they miss doing a mole of moles? That seems bloody obvious.
I always think of a mole as
star nosed mole

I've known about the Apollo computer errors for sometime , 1201 and 1202. I didn't know that the programmer Don Eyles thought the landing should be aborted. But Eyles was not consulted because there was no time, the astronaunts needed an imediate answer to decide if the landing should continue so the flight controller in huston said Go.

To give you a modern perspective, airbus aircraft use a fly by wire system, so when the pilot moves the controls, the computer receives this informative and decides how to move the flight control surfaces. BUT this system cannot fail because bad things will happen. (there is an alternative option to vary the engine power, but its not a great alternative and tricky to land using this method).
I believe there are 3 computers in the flight control system, so if one fails the other 2 can take over..

1660420911119.png

Apollo implemented a fly by wire system using one computer, by modern standards using a tiny amount of computer processing power and memory.

Last edited:
Could someone explain to an idiot in basic terms escape velocity? I know what it means, but why can’t a rocket or any other vessel or craft travel into space at a lower speed regardless of fuel efficiency, provided it has enough fuel/ energy? To my simple mind it seems even weirder considering gravity is stronger the closer something is to the surface of the planet.

If a rocket has no trouble taking off and climbing vertically from sea level at a speed much lower than the required escape velocity, when both gravity and atmosphere are at their most impending, why couldn’t it continue its progress upwards at a steady speed of 2,000 kph? Surely with every second travelled the gravity pull and air resistance decreases?

Could someone explain to an idiot in basic terms escape velocity? I know what it means, but why can’t a rocket or any other vessel or craft travel into space at a lower speed regardless of fuel efficiency, provided it has enough fuel/ energy? To my simple mind it seems even weirder considering gravity is stronger the closer something is to the surface of the planet.

If a rocket has no trouble taking off and climbing vertically from sea level at a speed much lower than the required escape velocity, when both gravity and atmosphere are at their most impending, why couldn’t it continue its progress upwards at a steady speed of 2,000 kph? Surely with every second travelled the gravity pull and air resistance decreases?

Escape velocity is more like the speed you would need to hoof a football at to get it properly into space (as opposed to falling back down, or winding up in a high orbit or whatever).

Doesn’t apply to bodies with continual propulsion.

Was explained to me similarly to what I think you’ve had at one time, and it confused me too.

why couldn’t it continue its progress upwards at a steady speed of 2,000 kph? Surely with every second travelled the gravity pull and air resistance decreases?
The point is what happens when you cut the engine.

The gravitational pull does decrease with distance, so if you travel far enough, your 2000kph will be the escape velocity from that distance and you won't fall back.

How far would you have to travel? I make it about 2.5 million km (several times the distance to the Moon), which would take about 50 days at that speed.

(using back of fag packet, Escape Velocity and Earth)

ve = sqrt(2GM/d)
so distance = 2GM/v^2

2 * 6.67*10^-11 * 5.972*10^24 / (2000 * 1000 / 3600)^2
2581193952.00000000000005164452 (distance in meters)
last / (2000 * 1000 * 24)
53.77487400000000000000 (time to travel that distance in days)

If an unpowered object with no friction (and ignoring other objects) is travelling at escape velocity it should trace a parabola I would think.

Back
Top Bottom