Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely science post thread

Enormous strands of galaxies in the cosmic web appear to be spinning
14 June 2021
Some of the largest structures in the universe appear to be rotating. The filaments of galaxies forming the cosmic web that stretches between galaxy clusters seem to be spinning, which could help us figure out why galaxies themselves – and everything else in space – rotate.

How rotation is generated in space is a long-standing problem in astrophysics. “Not only are the galaxies spinning, but also the stars within the galaxies, and the Earth is spinning, and the Earth around the sun and the moon around the Earth. Pretty much the whole universe is spinning,” says Noam Libeskind at the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam in Germany. “We don’t really know why, and one way to try to answer that is to figure out where the spinning stops.”

Previous research has suggested that clusters of galaxies may be the end of the road for spinning, but Libeskind and his colleagues have found that isn’t the case. They used data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey to examine the colossal filaments of galaxies that make up the cosmic web, which stretch across hundreds of millions of light years, and found that they are rotating.
"where the spinning stops" in relation to what? Intergalactic lagrange points?

Sunset from space

E5ZClB7XoAUp5rX

Long-term gene–culture coevolution and the human evolutionary transition
royalsocietypublishing.org 02 June 2021
It has been suggested that the human species may be undergoing an evolutionary transition in individuality (ETI). But there is disagreement about how to apply the ETI framework to our species, and whether culture is implicated as either cause or consequence. Long-term gene–culture coevolution (GCC) is also poorly understood. Some have argued that culture steers human evolution, while others proposed that genes hold culture on a leash.

We review the literature and evidence on long-term GCC in humans and find a set of common themes. First, culture appears to hold greater adaptive potential than genetic inheritance and is probably driving human evolution. The evolutionary impact of culture occurs mainly through culturally organized groups, which have come to dominate human affairs in recent millennia. Second, the role of culture appears to be growing, increasingly bypassing genetic evolution and weakening genetic adaptive potential.

Taken together, these findings suggest that human long-term GCC is characterized by an evolutionary transition in inheritance (from genes to culture) which entails a transition in individuality (from genetic individual to cultural group). Thus, research on GCC should focus on the possibility of an ongoing transition in the human inheritance system.

Can someone post a link to an authoritative article on dowsing, aka water divining whether for or against ? I have a zero tolerance to any and all nutjobbery beliefs, but over the years I have seen various non-nutjob programmes that seem to show the technique is actually used by serious companies or surveyors as a reliable method to locate water underground.

The final straw being Jeremy Clarkson, who let’s face it is the last person on Earth likely to be sympathetic to pseudoscience hippie beliefs, ecstatically claiming in Clarkson’s Farm that the two sticks he was holding in his hands were really moving on their own accord as he walked on a field where a water pipe ran under.

I still think it must be bullshit, but after seeing so many reports from unlikely sources claiming it really works, I have to wonder. Wikipedia still describes it as pseudoscience. Is there actually anything to it?

Last edited:

A sceptical site

Been discussed here a couple of years back

You should do a diploma with the people below and tell us if it works.

Last edited:
A stupid article written by someone who is ignorant of modern taxonomy.

"The German title of Coccia’s book translates as “The Roots of the World,” and the book really does cover this. It upends our view of the living world, putting plants at the top of the hierarchy with humans down at the bottom. I had been giving a great deal of thought to this myself. Ranking the natural world and scoring species according to their importance or their superiority seemed to me outdated. It distorts our view of nature and makes all the other species around us seem more primitive and somehow unfinished. For some time now, I have not been comfortable with viewing humans as the crown of creation, separating animals into higher and lower life-forms, and treating plants as something on the side, definitively banished to a lower level."

Well good news, dear author, because modern biological science does not rank organisms according to any kind of arbitrary hierarchy. Taxonomy is based on cladistics, which represent real familial relations within Earthly biology, rather than recycling the old medieval notion of a "Great Chain of Being".

"After our first cup of coffee, we were soon deep into our main topic: trees and plants in general. Coccia argued that our biological classifications are not grounded in science. They are strongly influenced by theology and are dominated by two ideas: the supremacy of the human race and the world as a place humans must bend to their will. And then there is our centuries-old compulsion to categorize everything. When you combine these concepts, you get a ranking system that puts humankind at the top, animals in the middle, and plants way down at the bottom."

It seems that Coccia is confusing the public's perception of "evolutionary levels" with taxonomic classification, and has managed to pass on this misconception to the article author.

"I listened, fascinated by what he had to say. Here was a man of my own heart. I would prefer it, I told Coccia, if science categorized species one beside the other. That would still allow an order, a system of sorting, without imposing any kind of a hierarchy."

This already exists. It's called cladistics. Where the fuck are these ignoramuses coming from?

"František Baluška is also very good at making inconceivable connections. Baluška, a plant cell biologist at University of Bonn, has for some time now been of the opinion that plants are intelligent—after all, they can process information and make decisions. But do plants have consciousness? That takes the discussion to a whole different level. If we could prove that plants have consciousness, we would have to radically change the way we interact with them, because we’d find ourselves facing the same kinds of issues that we face with factory farming in conventional agriculture"

Didn't this kind of thing used to be the subject of satirical pisstaking? cf. Neil from The Young Ones and "vegetable rights".

Look, it's one thing to enthuse about how we're discovering more interesting things about how plants interact with the rest of the world. The south American vine that can seemingly imitate other things based on visual cue alone is certainly intriguing. But this article is shit, it's a massive leap to go from there to wittering about plant consciousness and assuming that modern biologists still use pre-scientific models of classifying organisms.

If it is possible, can anyone explain in layman terms what health implications might arise from very fast space travel regarding acceleration & G forces?

I’m going to ignore science fiction scenarios, like jumping to hyperspace or Warp speed. Let’s say in the near future we come up with a solar wind craft that might eventually reach 10% of the speed of light. Or a craft propelled by successive nuclear detonations fired behind it. Even if we ever made such propulsion technologically viable, could the human body stand the resulting forces in microgravity? Or perhaps because of microgravity it would be survivable?

If it is possible, can anyone explain in layman terms what health implications might arise from very fast space travel regarding acceleration & G forces?

I’m going to ignore science fiction scenarios, like jumping to hyperspace or Warp speed. Let’s say in the near future we come up with a solar wind craft that might eventually reach 10% of the speed of light. Or a craft propelled by successive nuclear detonations fired behind it. Even if we ever made such propulsion technologically viable, could the human body stand the resulting forces in microgravity? Or perhaps because of microgravity it would be survivable?

One of the best chances of getting a probe to Alpha Centauri would be a light sail, so no heavy rockets or fuel to carry. I think humans currently lack the required technology to send a probe to our nearest star, so I suspect the chances of project "Breakthrough Starshot" succeding is zero. But it has calculated the g force acceleration...

average acceleration on the order of 100 km/s2 (10,000 g)

3g is perhaps a limit humans could cope with :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuclear bombs, now assuming a government was happy for 1000's of nuclear bombs to be sent into low earth orbit. You can then explore the solar system...

Since weight is no limitation, an Orion craft can be extremely robust. An uncrewed craft could tolerate very large accelerations, perhaps 100 g. A human-crewed Orion, however, must use some sort of damping system behind the pusher plate to smooth the near instantaneous acceleration to a level that humans can comfortably withstand – typically about 2 to 4 g.

There's also a calculation for a trip to Alpha Centauri, but its so slow its better to use this machine for trips within the solar system..

"Energy Limited"
Orion
"Momentum Limited"
Orion
Ship diameter (meters)20,000 m100 m
Mass of empty ship (tonnes)10,000,000 t (incl.5,000,000 t copper hemisphere)100,000 t (incl. 50,000 t structure+payload)
+Number of bombs = total bomb mass (each 1 Mt bomb weighs 1 tonne)30,000,000300,000
=Departure mass (tonnes)40,000,000 t400,000 t
Maximum velocity (kilometers per second)1000 km/s (=0.33% of the speed of light)10,000 km/s (=3.3% of the speed of light)
Mean acceleration (Earth gravities)0.00003 g (accelerate for 100 years)1 g (accelerate for 10 days)
Time to Alpha Centauri (one way, no slow down)1330 years133 years
Estimated cost1 year of U.S. GNP (1968), $3.67 Trillion0.1 year of U.S. GNP $0.367 Trillion

(Alternatively perhaps, manufacture 1000s of nuclear bombs on the moon and extract the raw materials from the moon, then send the finished bombs into earth orbit using a linear accelerator. :))

One of the best chances of getting a probe to Alpha Centauri would be a light sail, so no heavy rockets or fuel to carry. I think humans currently lack the required technology to send a probe to our nearest star, so I suspect the chances of project "Breakthrough Starshot" succeding is zero. But it has calculated the g force acceleration...

3g is perhaps a limit humans could cope with :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuclear bombs, now assuming a government was happy for 1000's of nuclear bombs to be sent into low earth orbit. You can then explore the solar system...

There's also a calculation for a trip to Alpha Centauri, but its so slow its better to use this machine for trips within the solar system..

"Energy Limited"
Orion
"Momentum Limited"
Orion
Ship diameter (meters)20,000 m100 m
Mass of empty ship (tonnes)10,000,000 t (incl.5,000,000 t copper hemisphere)100,000 t (incl. 50,000 t structure+payload)
+Number of bombs = total bomb mass (each 1 Mt bomb weighs 1 tonne)30,000,000300,000
=Departure mass (tonnes)40,000,000 t400,000 t
Maximum velocity (kilometers per second)1000 km/s (=0.33% of the speed of light)10,000 km/s (=3.3% of the speed of light)
Mean acceleration (Earth gravities)0.00003 g (accelerate for 100 years)1 g (accelerate for 10 days)
Time to Alpha Centauri (one way, no slow down)1330 years133 years
Estimated cost1 year of U.S. GNP (1968), $3.67 Trillion0.1 year of U.S. GNP $0.367 Trillion

(Alternatively perhaps, manufacture 1000s of nuclear bombs on the moon and extract the raw materials from the moon, then send the finished bombs into earth orbit using a linear accelerator. :))
I've always been fascinated by the idea of the Orion drive, though I don't think anyone's going to ever want to actually do it...

11 November 2021
The atomic composition of this particular perovskite – which primarily contains calcium, silicon and oxygen – shows it could only have formed under the extreme conditions experienced in the lower mantle, where the pressure is more than 200,000 times that found at Earth’s surface. Under surface conditions, calcium silicate is instead typically found as a white mineral called wollastonite that has needle-like crystals.

Tschauner and his colleagues named the new calcium silicate mineral davemaoite in honour of deep-Earth scientist Ho-Kwang “Dave” Mao at the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington DC.

Back
Top Bottom