Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The lonely science post thread

A sceptical site

Been discussed here a couple of years back

You should do a diploma with the people below and tell us if it works.

We've had a few of those threads.

Some time after the most recent one my Dad used his rods to work out what was up with the drainage pipes at the back of my house.
No reverence for science, some people.

Not sure if this article deserves its own thread, but I thought it was interesting. I didn't realise how subtle the connection between horse and rider was.

This is really impressive

They accomplish this with exquisite sensitivity: the average horse can detect less pressure against her skin than even a human fingertip can.

Not sure if this article deserves its own thread, but I thought it was interesting. I didn't realise how subtle the connection between horse and rider was.

We’ve had some unnuanced discussions on here about whether horse riding is cruel, and whether horses suffer when being ridden.

Would be kind of interesting to see what people taking that line think of this article.

We’ve had some unnuanced discussions on here about whether horse riding is cruel, and whether horses suffer when being ridden.

I think this article on horse psychology is relevant:

Every time people use horses, they exercise psychology, because their strength is no match to that of horses. If we don't use superior psychology, we may find horses using us to achieve objectives that are not consistent with the intended goal. Such a situation results in owner dissatisfaction and a spoiled horse whose value may dangerously approach those packed in cans for dog and cat food.

Modern horse psychology attempts to anticipate probable behavior of horses under different conditions and establish those conditions that encourage responses consistent with goals of the horse handler.

The idea that people who train horses use pure force to get them to suppress their instinctive reactions, give themselves thinking time, and perform complex unnatural manoeuvers, is at best a gross over-simplification and at worst a mendacious misrepresentation in service of an agenda. I mean even with smaller animals like dogs, kicking the shit out of them doesn't produce a Lassie, you just get a broken and abused creature.

Would be kind of interesting to see what people taking that line think of this article.

I think if a horse can sense and respond to less than a fingertip touch then anyone claiming it's necessary to whack them on the arse with a whip is clearly just making excuses for being a fucking deviant.

I think if a horse can sense and respond to less than a fingertip touch then anyone claiming it's necessary to whack them on the arse with a whip is clearly just making excuses for being a fucking deviant.

Yeah, that’s a reasonable point. I was thinking more of the discussion about whether riding a horse at all was an act of cruelty.

Short film showing the launch of a uncrewed freighter to the international space station, the docking stage is not shown.

What I thought was good is that you can see colours at the edge of the atmosphere, this article explains what the different colours represent.

This is interesting - the time it takes for a ball to drop on various solar system bodies under gravity.

the old Hayden planetarium had scales which told your weight on other planets

163143_194038340613517_7743556_n.jpg

handy chart

165690_194038407280177_8232508_n.jpg

creeps I loved that place

(not me, btw)

Really interesting video on 'how electricity actually works' as follow up from they guy's first video, which asked how long a light bulb would light up after a switch was closed in a circuit with light-second long wires (explained right at the beginning).

A lot of scientists/engineers apparently disagreed so he's actually taken measurements from a circuit with wires tens of metres long.

Yeah, you can do an incredible amount of complex engineering with no idea of how electricity actually works.

I had a smart meter installed on Friday, and apparently I have used minus £99999 pounds this year so far.

Still haven’t found any generators in the house..

the old Hayden planetarium had scales which told your weight on other planets

163143_194038340613517_7743556_n.jpg

handy chart

165690_194038407280177_8232508_n.jpg

creeps I loved that place

(not me, btw)
One way to lose weight, use the wrong column. ;)

Yeah, you can do an incredible amount of complex engineering with no idea of how electricity actually works.

I had a smart meter installed on Friday, and apparently I have used minus £99999 pounds this year so far.

Still haven’t found any generators in the house..
At 30p per kWh that would be around 3kW since Friday. :hmm: Even if you had a generator in the house it wouldn't record on the meter as they only record in one direction. :hmm: :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom