Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The job hunting support thread

council i work for, the only people i've seen wearing tie and jacket are chief exec / director level.
I’m not one of them!
only council interview i have done in person since covid, i did shirt and tie but no jacket (although it was summer) and i did get offered the job.
cheers, waiting for my mate who has worked for two councils recently to let me know. If it was the summer I’d have no hesitation doing short and tie and no jacket, and I know it shouldn’t make any difference but it gives me something to panic about for the next 12 days or so!

I’m not one of them!

cheers, waiting for my mate who has worked for two councils recently to let me know. If it was the summer I’d have no hesitation doing short and tie and no jacket, and I know it shouldn’t make any difference but it gives me something to panic about for the next 12 days or so!

Charity shop jacket that will go with a decent pair of trousers may be an answer if you can find one and maybe take it to a cleaners in time?

I'm aware that my weddings, funerals and court appearances interviews suit seemed to have shrunk after lockdown - i invested in a smartish jacket from m+s sale a little while back when a couple of interviews were on the horizon (one didn't happen, the other led to an offer i decided i could refuse so not sure it was worth it...)

I think interview attire is much more relaxed nowadays than it used to be, unless you're being interviewed for a job with a law firm.

I reckon you'll be fine wearing shirt and tie, although even a tie might not be necessary. Can you check their website and/or LinkedIn to see if they have photos of the team so you can get some clues from their dress sense?

My interview for the job in Lebanon is now on Friday.
Oh.

Unfortunately, it seems like when I was getting ready, doing last minute prep, having my job interview, the foreign secretary was discussing preparations to evacuate Brits from Lebanon. There's no evacuation order yet, but...

ETA: First interview with HR chap seemed to go okay. I should hear soon whether I'm through to a second-round interview with one of the two big bosses. I'm not minded to withdraw at this stage, things might calm down in a couple of months.

Last edited:
How much research do you do:

(a) in the first instance, after seeing the job ad and before/while completing your job application; and

(b) prior to an interview?

I'm just wondering how unusual I am, and how much research and preparation other people do.

I've always kind of assumed that everyone would have a good look around the company website and also Google the company to have a quick glance through any news over the past year or so, but from some reactions I've got, interviewers seeming surprised that I know stuff about their company/products, it makes me think maybe other interviewees either haven't bothered or haven't been as thorough.

Example 1: During the course of the interview, I was asked how much I knew about the company and was able to give some general background info, and at one point I was asked how I'd describe the products to someone and because I'd read up on them, and bearing in mind some general knowledge I have about the product category, I was able to make some general comparisons about the type of product, and also mentioned some of their specific ingredients.

The interviewer seemed surprised that I'd done what I considered to be basic general research about the company and products.

Example 2: During the course of an interview for a previous job, one of the interview panel was giving a general overview about the company and said something about how they were coming up for the company's tenth anniversary the next year, in May or June... Now I'd done my research, read their website, so I was able to pipe up 'April, it will be the tenth anniversary next April'. (And I saw one of the other panellists smile at my interjection.)

Again, they seemed pleasantly surprised that I'd done what I considered to be basic general research about the company and its services.

So do other people read the company's website and learn about their products/services? Or do you think that's something you'd learn about in detail if/when you got the job? Would you have been able to mention stuff you'd learned about the company's history, or its products/services? Isn't that to be taken for granted that candidates have done that level of research?

Here's where I think I am unusual (arguably excessive?), going back to those two examples:

Example 1: During the same interview as Example 1, above, I mentioned to the interviewer that I'd managed to track down their FMCG products, buy some of them and try them. And I think he was pleasantly surprised by that.

Example 2: During the same interview, as Example 2, above, I referred to the pre-interview writing task that had been set and mentioned how I hadn't just done online research about the place I'd written about (their client), I'd not only gone the extra mile, I'd gone the extra 30 miles, because I'd hopped on a train and visited it.

I figure that maybe not every candidate would be that proactive - especially when people might be applying for lots of jobs and don't have the time and/or resources - but surely everyone reads all about the company and what they do before an interview?

How much research do you do:

(a) in the first instance, after seeing the job ad and before/while completing your job application; and

(b) prior to an interview?

I'm just wondering how unusual I am, and how much research and preparation other people do.

I've always kind of assumed that everyone would have a good look around the company website and also Google the company to have a quick glance through any news over the past year or so, but from some reactions I've got, interviewers seeming surprised that I know stuff about their company/products, it makes me think maybe other interviewees either haven't bothered or haven't been as thorough.

Example 1: During the course of the interview, I was asked how much I knew about the company and was able to give some general background info, and at one point I was asked how I'd describe the products to someone and because I'd read up on them, and bearing in mind some general knowledge I have about the product category, I was able to make some general comparisons about the type of product, and also mentioned some of their specific ingredients.

The interviewer seemed surprised that I'd done what I considered to be basic general research about the company and products.

Example 2: During the course of an interview for a previous job, one of the interview panel was giving a general overview about the company and said something about how they were coming up for the company's tenth anniversary the next year, in May or June... Now I'd done my research, read their website, so I was able to pipe up 'April, it will be the tenth anniversary next April'. (And I saw one of the other panellists smile at my interjection.)

Again, they seemed pleasantly surprised that I'd done what I considered to be basic general research about the company and its services.

So do other people read the company's website and learn about their products/services? Or do you think that's something you'd learn about in detail if/when you got the job? Would you have been able to mention stuff you'd learned about the company's history, or its products/services? Isn't that to be taken for granted that candidates have done that level of research?

Here's where I think I am unusual (arguably excessive?), going back to those two examples:

Example 1: During the same interview as Example 1, above, I mentioned to the interviewer that I'd managed to track down their FMCG products, buy some of them and try them. And I think he was pleasantly surprised by that.

Example 2: During the same interview, as Example 2, above, I referred to the pre-interview writing task that had been set and mentioned how I hadn't just done online research about the place I'd written about (their client), I'd not only gone the extra mile, I'd gone the extra 30 miles, because I'd hopped on a train and visited it.

I figure that maybe not every candidate would be that proactive - especially when people might be applying for lots of jobs and don't have the time and/or resources - but surely everyone reads all about the company and what they do before an interview?
Yes, that all sounds completely normal.

Yes, that all sounds completely normal.
Thanks for the reassurance. Weird how interviewers seem surprised to know I've done some research!

(I was a bit worried my autism (and possible ADHD) was kicking in and I was overdoing stuff, and maybe coming across as too much! I can sometimes often overthink things!)

Back
Top Bottom