Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The job hunting support thread

So i did a first phone interview for a job which is paying twice what I currently earn. The HR lady then casually drops in, after a 45 min chat that it's 5 days in the office. Er, no.

Then I get a call from an agency about the same job, I realised what job it was and cut her off - its the 5 day a week thing. She said she's been hearing that from everyone shes tried to put forward and thats why the salary is so high (it's 90k which is astronomical for my line of work but no, I could do days a week max). Nobody wants it. It's bizarre that some employers are ruling out a huge chunk of the talent pool just to have bums on seats in the office. I work better in a dressing gown with a glass of wine strategically placed beside me.

So i did a first phone interview for a job which is paying twice what I currently earn. The HR lady then casually drops in, after a 45 min chat that it's 5 days in the office. Er, no.

Then I get a call from an agency about the same job, I realised what job it was and cut her off - its the 5 day a week thing. She said she's been hearing that from everyone shes tried to put forward and thats why the salary is so high (it's 90k which is astronomical for my line of work but no, I could do days a week max). Nobody wants it. It's bizarre that some employers are ruling out a huge chunk of the talent pool just to have bums on seats in the office. I work better in a dressing gown with a glass of wine strategically placed beside me.
I was contacted recently about a job that was paying a lot. Again, it was five days a week in the office, non-negotiable. I currently go into the office one day a week and don't even have to do that if i don't feel like it.

So once you factor in an extra eight to ten hours a week in travel (and the fact that it's working in a sector where they'll expect v long hours anyway), it looks a lot less attractive.

They've since been back in touch twice suggesting six months in, they might be prepared to discuss one day WFH. I think they're really struggling to find people, with both the right experience and who're prepared to be in the office full-time and they just don't understand why. 🤷‍♀️

(I'm also not looking for a job right now.)

I was contacted recently about a job that was paying a lot. Again, it was five days a week in the office, non-negotiable. I currently go into the office one day a week and don't even have to do that if i don't feel like it.

So once you factor in an extra eight to ten hours a week in travel (and the fact that it's working in a sector where they'll expect v long hours anyway), it looks a lot less attractive.

They've since been back in touch twice suggesting six months in, they might be prepared to discuss one day WFH. I think they're really struggling to find people, with both the right experience and who're prepared to be in the office full-time and they just don't understand why. 🤷‍♀️

(I'm also not looking for a job right now.)

It's so surreal when you consider that only a few years ago everyone was doing 5 days a week, dealing with the fucking commute, small talk with colleagues you hate, and I don't think I'd ever worked from home pre-covid actually. Now I absolutely refuse to. It fills me with dread.

I have a :hmm:

Something's been advertised in one of the directions of work I can do / have done - there's actually a salary in the advert, and it's a chunk more than i'm on now or what i last did this job on. for some reason it's the sort of job where there seems to be a tradition of not saying how much you're on / not knowing how much anyone is on, so this is a rarity (and it also might piss a few people off when they see it.)

It's based in East London, but somewhere that's easy enough to get to from SE London. Would mean moving house of course, as (I assume) they would want me to be there a bit more often than current employers want me to go there (generally one or two days a month now, but it's a pain in the tail those one or two days.)

Organisation is one that I have some doubts about - a few years ago, would have been an instant 'no' from me. organisation has since been taken over and senior management is different, and they are making noises about being different and caring / cuddly. I'm not entirely convinced, although aware other bits of the organisation I have some dealings with (not the same bit that has the vacancy) seem to be fairly stable in terms of people - they used to be very 'hire and fire' / 'manager of the month' (as a job title not an award) which seems to have come to an end.

Current job comes with public sector pension scheme so the potential pay rise would partly be at cost of either crap pension when i retire, or putting a lot more away.

Current job is reasonably unchallenging a lot of the time (but has its moments), I'm not really ambitious any more - only real ambition is to try and stay in a job until i can retire, which is going to be about 13 years away on current state pension age.

I'm not entirely convinced that current job is going to survive the round of cuts that seems inevitable whoever wins the election. It would probably take until some time next spring to happen if it does, but I've not been there long enough for it to be worth waiting for redundancy, and I am at an age where I wonder if everything I see is a last chance. If there is another round of austerity and public sector cuts then there will be more people looking for fewer jobs then (like it was in the post-2010 era when i got made redundant and had a few years of temporary / casual type jobs.)

I could do with moving somewhere nearer to aged parent in SE London, although last time I talked about that it didn't go down well for reasons unknown.

Meh.

I'm aware my advice to anyone else posting similar would be to keep options open and put an application in. I'm just not sure I've got the energy...

(There's an outside chance one or two people will be able to join the dots and know exactly what job i mean and where, but would rather not go in to any more detail here.)

The application asks you for all your qualifications from GCSE level. But the employment section just asks for previous employment. For jobs you have to list your salary. How far back should I go? I had a lot of short term catering jobs when I was younger, I have no idea of my salary 25 years ago.

The application asks you for all your qualifications from GCSE level. But the employment section just asks for previous employment. For jobs you have to list your salary. How far back should I go? I had a lot of short term catering jobs when I was younger, I have no idea of my salary 25 years ago.

I’ve started to just cut things out over ten years ago (my career history means that’s more like 15) - if they want to know more they can ask. On a CV I’d write “more details upon request” and on some app forms but it depends how much of a pita the app form is

Can depend, but last 5 to 10 years is probably reasonable - unless there's something from longer ago that would be a good 'selling point' for what you're applying for. some now specifically just ask for last x years (in part possibly to reduce age discrimination)

The idea of trying to give exact dates and pay for something 30+ years ago is bloody ludicrous. (I have done one once that insisted on it, so I included a line like 'exact dates and salary are to the best of my memory')

I've also condensed a year or two of various temporary things in to one entry rather than trying to list each thing as a separate entry, and have summarised stuff more than x years ago with 'previous jobs included A, B and C' - that way you're not concealing anything, and they could always ask for more info if they want.

I've never had any quibbles about that sort of thing, and can't remember being asked for more information.

Civil service ones especially are a total fucking ball ache in what they ask and the amount of detail they ask.

I’ve also noticed some forms start asking about parental jobs and education these days and fuck me I do not know.

The application form is a massive pita.

assuming it's an online one, a couple of other thoughts (may be stating the obvious)

it's worth saving the online job advert and any documents, e.g. job description - they may disappear off the internet after the closing date and it's usueful to be able to refer back to them if you get an interview (especially if you're doing a few applications, so you can remember which one's which)

also, if it's the sort of application that needs long answers / personal statement, i tend to construct them in word (or similar) - which will do a word count for you - then copy - paste them, and again refer back to them before an interview - and potentially recycle them for future applications.

I’ve also noticed some forms start asking about parental jobs and education these days and fuck me I do not know.

:hmm:

what the heck's that got to do with them and what the heck's that got to do with the application process?

and how the heck is someone who was adopted supposed to answer that?

(or are they asking that in the theoretically separate equalities info bit? - even so, hmm.)

you could always say your dad was a toolmaker

:p

it's worth saving the online job advert and any documents, e.g. job description - they may disappear off the internet after the closing date and it's usueful to be able to refer back to them if you get an interview (especially if you're doing a few applications, so you can remember which one's which)
Definitely do this especially if they use oracle, those seem to vanish the same day they send out interviews. Which has got me twice recently. One I only got the thing from them the day before the interview. That was fun. Especially when people here helped and found multiple older versions, which didn't resemble each other or what I was given at the end.

It's data collection show they employ people from a range of backgrounds or that they don't and is this a large problem. Wouldn't worry too much just have a best guess. It's not trying to trip you up.

Civil service ones especially are a total fucking ball ache in what they ask and the amount of detail they ask.

The parental stuff is because the civil service (and other arms length government bodies) have introduced class, or 'social mobility' alongside the EA protected characteristics. Not a bad thing actually as I think on one of my teams I was the only person who hadn't been to private school and wasn't called Olly or Chloe*.

(*Slight exaggeration for comic effect, but only slight)

Interview went surprisingly well, only got the job description the day before, despite all the help people were finding job specs they were different again to those. Way more into detail on the details of that area, which I have done before so I had some useful specifics to add. I generated from chatgpt/copilot and online sources a huge bank of questions and nothing like any of them came up lol despite it being a standard.

Some day I am going to remember to record the bloody things to transcription to find out what I was asked and work on answering them better.
When I'm in or just coming out of interviews, I often think Question A threw me a bit, wasn't expecting that, or I didn't answer Question B very well, I need more examples of X, when I get home I'll write those down so that I can work on them...

...and then by the time I get home, I've forgotten. Should just send myself a text or something.

The parental stuff is because the civil service (and other arms length government bodies) have introduced class, or 'social mobility' alongside the EA protected characteristics. Not a bad thing actually as I think on one of my teams I was the only person who hadn't been to private school and wasn't called Olly or Chloe*.

Yeah I know it’s labelled as social mobility. Still a pain to fill out :facepalm:

If it's in the equalities stuff, then

it should not form part of the recruitment decision or be seen by the interview panel / hiring manager, it should be kept separate and only HR (or equivalent) would know that bit and which applicant it's about - broadly speaking it's illegal for organisations to operate any sort of quota / positive discrimination system.

(reasonable adjustments on disability grounds for interviews is different - that does need to be known before interview.)

i can see the point that in theory, if organisation only gets applicants from a small chunk of the population, or if there's a big difference in demographics between applications and hires, then it might identify a problem somewhere, but I do wonder how much is just box ticking rather than actually doing anything about discrimination, and also do wonder if it can be abused.

it should also be optional to answer them - i tend to go 'prefer not to say' on all of it, as my trust in employers / HR people is not great.

i've read somewhere that civil service now ask that you don't include your name or detail of what school / university you went to in the application, just what qualifications you've got (again presumably in theory to avoid risk of bias towards private school / oxbridge)

If it's in the equalities stuff, then

it should not form part of the recruitment decision or be seen by the interview panel / hiring manager, it should be kept separate and only HR (or equivalent) would know that bit and which applicant it's about - broadly speaking it's illegal for organisations to operate any sort of quota / positive discrimination system.

(reasonable adjustments on disability grounds for interviews is different - that does need to be known before interview.)

i can see the point that in theory, if organisation only gets applicants from a small chunk of the population, or if there's a big difference in demographics between applications and hires, then it might identify a problem somewhere, but I do wonder how much is just box ticking rather than actually doing anything about discrimination, and also do wonder if it can be abused.

it should also be optional to answer them - i tend to go 'prefer not to say' on all of it, as my trust in employers / HR people is not great.

i've read somewhere that civil service now ask that you don't include your name or detail of what school / university you went to in the application, just what qualifications you've got (again presumably in theory to avoid risk of bias towards private school / oxbridge)

The panel don’t see the answers for any of the EA questions including the class one. And you can answer ‘prefer not to say’ for all of them. Also you can’t put the name of any school or university in the text of your answers.

BBC also ask question(s) along those lines, there might be questions about parental education level and about parental work, eg manual, managerial, professional, etc.

The personal statement is 4000 characters max. Am I right in thinking that’s not very many? Can you get word to count characters?

I would have thought so, but I don't have MS Word at home. I use Libre Office which seems to do it automatically at the bottom of the page.

This suggests you can but have to ask it nicely, and it may vary from one version of Word to another.

When I'm in or just coming out of interviews, I often think Question A threw me a bit, wasn't expecting that, or I didn't answer Question B very well, I need more examples of X, when I get home I'll write those down so that I can work on them...

...and then by the time I get home, I've forgotten. Should just send myself a text or something.
Got rejected but I have an inbox full of those, bizarrely just found an apprenticeship role for my profession which pays the same as the last role I went for. Cannot do it of course as its miles away but its bonkers, I have 6 years experience and the end qualification for that and can't get roles close to that figure. Did better in the stock market this year than on working, probably why cap gains are going right down. Should have bought more Nvidia and apple when I had the chance.

I'm aware my advice to anyone else posting similar would be to keep options open and put an application in. I'm just not sure I've got the energy...

On the basis that I realised I'd regret it if I didn't apply, I have - unusual online application, just name, address and such, upload CV, tick a box to confirm right to work in UK and that's it. No covering letter or personal statement or anything.

Well, I've...
  • had tests and an interview with the civil service and have passed, so am now on a 6 month reserve list for a job due to 'an unprecedented number of high quality applicants"
  • have just been informed that I have an interview for a Cybersecurity role
:thumbs:
  • Didnae get the cyber job, however
  • After an 8 month-post-redundacy 'rest', I started in my new role as a Civil Servant today
Keep on going, urbs

Sadly landing back on the thread before planned.

I'm a part timer.

As always, my job A is amazing but shit pay.

Job B I started a few months back was amazing with slightly less shit pay, useful as career development (as long as I didn't stick around longer than the fixed term contract). Its now turned into a living nightmare due to a new colleague. I don't care if I can "win" over them, I'm too old for this shit and I want out.

Can't bring myself to go back to my old Job B. As bad as the situation currently is, this job is still better than the last job.

I'm due to complete an important qualification by 2025 so was planning on holding back with the job search until then, but its no longer an option.

Currently focusing on things that are a "step up" from current job B. In theory I need something I can just coast in for 6 months but realistically, thats not how the world works. Got an application in today for something that would be a step up but its difficult to figure out what my chances are. Also applied for something extra at Job A I haven't heard back about yet.

Wondering if current job B will sort its shit out before I get an offer, but even if it does, now we're at this point I can't keep hanging around there

On the basis that I realised I'd regret it if I didn't apply, I have - unusual online application, just name, address and such, upload CV, tick a box to confirm right to work in UK and that's it. No covering letter or personal statement or anything.

Theres a fair amount like that, pretty much any easy apply on linkedin is just that. Submit CV and presumably it shows your linkedin profile too.

Have applied to the local boatyard, role is a step down and in office but its a place I actually like, is a 5 minute walk and should be an absolute breeze. Plus they have almost no turnover and the guy who started the company is CEO and has expanded to another site now but still works on the yachts too. Like that the management actually know how shit works on the floor. They also have a big thing about trying to get locals in.

Wish any of it was something my Son could do. He's very well suited to having an outcome from work that isn't tapping at a computer to produce it, despite being extremely proficient with them. Very reluctant to take on anything that requires training which is limiting options and not being mobile is another. There is literally money sat there waiting for him to get a CBT and a motorbike but he is weirdly reluctant. Have looked at ebikes but it seems I made more effort than he did. Not sure where to go there.
Daughter is now managing a sweet shop somehow, not sure how as she has no retail experience but does has cheffing and cleaning? She doesn't seem to know either but appears to be going well and she's happy so great.

edit - linked in just sent me suggestions saying I would be a top candidate for the role I applied for yesterday and indeed sent it as a suggested job.

So when I read the job description for my dream job it was very shoddily written which put me off and also contained large elements of not my dream job so I didn’t apply.

I’ve seen another job I reckon I would like and have a chance of getting so I’m going to apply for that this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom