Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Generic Tennis Thread

It is indeed hard, but going with Djokovic.

I normally detest narratives about people being 'hard-working' but Djokovic deserves it more, and apart from the anti-vax nonsense (which admittedly is hard to get past!) he seems like a decent guy, at least he's not an arrogant bully like Kyrgios.

People go on about Kyrgios's amazing shots and talent but Djokovic also has those, although he's not as flashy.

Terrible shame about Nadal, though.

ETA - I've just realised I'm totally discounting Norrie, which is perhaps unfair, but I can't see him getting past Djokovic. You never know though - we might have the men's final that absolutely no-one expected! :D

I'm going for Djokovic because I always miss the tennis so I'm not that familiar with anyone else, and I think he's ok (not aware of any terrible stories apart from the anti-vax stuff).

First time I've watched wheelchair tennis today. Very enjoyable, and an epic tussle to boot.

Like how Hewitt was spiky about getting more matches on show courts. No anodyne isn't it all lovely interview from him.

Bit of a cruise in the end.

Can't see past Djokovic in the final. He's got the gears to go through. Interesting that Djokovic has never taken a set off Kyrgios, though.

Interesting that Djokovic has never taken a set off Kyrgios, though.
Yes, very! Just looked up their head to head and they've never met in a slam. I wonder if Djokovic's likely superior fitness will prevail if it goes to more than three sets.

It would have been good to see a new slam winner who's not a complete knob. I've never liked Kyrgios since that on-court comment he made about Wawrinka's then-girlfriend, but the Tsitsipas match, the spitting and the recent DV allegations have taken the dislike to a new level.

Had Djokovic been playing someone like Fritz or de Minaur in the final I'd have been really rooting for them...but as it is, I'll be cheering on Novax.

Glad Djokovic won.. I'm not team Norrie.

Final is a tough call in terms of who to support. I know it's wrong to support Kyrgios.. but I might. :hmm:

Steep learning curve for me with wheelchair tennis, but doubles is where it's at. Amazing rallies. I like that it's not serve-dominated. Quite a day for Alfie Hewitt.

Agreed, haven't paid much attention to it til today, but it was an excellent and tense match! Why are they paid so little compared to able bodied athletes😡

And now there’s someone on court with a working class accent!!!
I've just found out via another website that it's a guy called Steve Brown, who was a wheelchair rugby player for GB and played at the 2012 Paralympics.

I once saw him at a work thing as a motivational speaker - he was fantastic and truly inspirational (have seen a couple of other motivational speakers and would not apply those adjectives to either!).

It does kind of make a mockery of Wimbledon's decision to ban Russian players that the winner of the women's title is Moscow born, learned her tennis there and only changed federation from Russia a couple of years ago.

Medvedev, the world no.1, who hasn't lived in Russia for something like 10 years, lives in France but is banned because of some psycho in the Kremlin. I think Wimbledon are the only tournament to take this stance?

It does kind of make a mockery of Wimbledon's decision to ban Russian players that the winner of the women's title is Moscow born, learned her tennis there and only changed federation from Russia a couple of years ago.

Medvedev, the world no.1, who hasn't lived in Russia for something like 10 years, lives in France but is banned because of some psycho in the Kremlin. I think Wimbledon are the only tournament to take this stance?
They are.

Must admit I had to laugh at Kate Middleton presenting the trophy to a Russian (nothing against Rybakina - she played well all tournament, made a decision to represent Kazakhstan for career development purposes, and seems decent).

I wasn't sure about the Russian/Belarusian ban at first (as I support Ukraine against the Russian invasion, as I'm sure most on here do) and there were some good arguments put forward by Ukrainian tennis players. As time's gone on it looks silly, and there are rumours that it was government-influenced, which makes it even worse.

In a classic case of two wrongs not making a right, the ATP/WTA decided not to award points, while the players will lose last year's points.

While the experience, prize money and exposure is nice for them, the loss of points is not good news (I feel especially bad for Tatjana Maria who is 34 and unlikely to get another such good run).

They are.

Must admit I had to laugh at Kate Middleton presenting the trophy to a Russian (nothing against Rybakina - she played well all tournament, made a decision to represent Kazakhstan for career development purposes, and seems decent).

I wasn't sure about the Russian/Belarusian ban at first (as I support Ukraine against the Russian invasion, as I'm sure most on here do) and there were some good arguments put forward by Ukrainian tennis players. As time's gone on it looks silly, and there are rumours that it was government-influenced, which makes it even worse.

In a classic case of two wrongs not making a right, the ATP/WTA decided not to award points, while the players will lose last year's points.

While the experience, prize money and exposure is nice for them, the loss of points is not good news (I feel especially bad for Tatjana Maria who is 34 and unlikely to get another such good run).

I just did a google of her and I do feel for her. It must be very hard for her, as it is for many Russians right now who are pariahs because of something completely outside their control.

The Kazakhs seem to have offered her more money than the American universities so she chose them but spends barely any time there, doesn't speak the language and apparently still lives in Moscow. I don't blame her for doing it, her career wont be long. But it makes Wimbledon look pretty stupid.

I am watching....squinting my eyes so I can't see the score anyway...although the pic on iplayer shows who won :rolleyes:

I don't think I can watch the whole thing, I hate the commentary, sounds like horse racing.

They are.

I wasn't sure at first, but in the end I don't support Wimbledon's unilateral action. It comes across to me as arrogant to have acted alone like this. And given that it was a unilateral action, I think taking the points away was the only thing the federations could do - they represent the interests of the banned players, who haven't broken any of their rules, as well as those competing. If tournaments ban some of their member players from competing but not others, I don't see what choice they have.

And as was noted earlier in the thread, even players who bravely made anti-war statements like Rublev were banned.

Kyrgios should have won that game. He's in danger of inploding now. I don't like Djokovic, he's a prick but not entertaining like the other guy. Mrs SI calls him "bad boy" and I think finds him quite a dish

Back
Top Bottom