Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Generic Tennis Thread

I’ve been to four or five Wimbledons over the last fifteen years but due to various circumstances I have never seen Nadal play live. Have Centre Court tickets for tomorrow and am over the moon to see he’s second on Centre tomorrow. Quite probably his last ever Wimbledon appearance as well. Get in :)

I’ve been to four or five Wimbledons over the last fifteen years but due to various circumstances I have never seen Nadal play live. Have Centre Court tickets for tomorrow and am over the moon to see he’s second on Centre tomorrow. Quite probably his last ever Wimbledon appearance as well. Get in :)
Nice one! Hope he wins.

Finally made it to a live tennis tournament when we went to Eastbourne last week. Managed to see Tiafoe, Bublik, Watson, Dart, etc.

Two of the men's potential quarter-finalists out today - Hurkacz (to Davidovich-Fokina) and Cilic (to covid, I believe).

Nice one! Hope he wins.

Finally made it to a live tennis tournament when we went to Eastbourne last week. Managed to see Tiafoe, Bublik, Watson, Dart, etc.

Two of the men's potential quarter-finalists out today - Hurkacz (to Davidovich-Fokina) and Cilic (to covid, I believe).
Was in Eastbourne last Friday myself. Nice tournament to attend, a million times better value than the massive ripoff that is Queens imo.

If you haven’t been already I’d also recommend Surbiton. Not as high profile but you still to see the not just top 100 players, but also former grand slam winners who might be coming back from injury, or just in their twilight years. A couple of weeks ago I watched Murray, as well as several former top-10 & grand slam winner women- all for £30.

Was in Eastbourne last Friday myself. Nice tournament to attend, a million times better value than the massive ripoff that is Queens imo.

If you haven’t been already I’d also recommend Surbiton. Not as high profile but you still to see the not just top 100 players, but also former grand slam winners who might be coming back from injury, or just in their twilight years. A couple of weeks ago I watched Murray, as well as several former top-10 & grand slam winner women- all for £30.
Yes, Eastbourne is great - well-organised and you see some top players fairly close up. We're already thinking we'll go next year. And thanks for the recommendation of Surbiton - that's another one to think about.

Enjoy tomorrow and Vamos!

I bet this was awesome to watch in the crowd - It was pretty exciting watching it on the TV. Shame no 5th set but Nadal looked to move into another gear at the end.

Just watched the Williams game.... nobody told me the tie-break rule had changed. Mighty confusing when it got to 8:6.

ETA: In fact, I started getting confused when they said there was going to be a tie-break.. didn't they use to play out the final set..

Last edited:
Just watched the Williams game.... nobody told me the tie-break rule had changed. Mighty confusing when it got to 8:6.

ETA: In fact, I started getting confused when they said there was going to be a tie-break.. didn't they use to play out the final set..
I believe it was the legendary match between John Isner and Nicholas Mahut in 2010 (which took place over three days and which Isner won 70 - 68 :eek: :D in the final set) that put paid to playing game after game.

The first to 10 is a new thing this year.

I bet this was awesome to watch in the crowd - It was pretty exciting watching it on the TV. Shame no 5th set but Nadal looked to move into another gear at the end.
As a massive fan and wired to always fear the worst, I didn’t enjoy sets 3 and most of 4 very much! My mate was laughing at my nerves and pessimism. Huge credit to his opponent, he played great and at times better than Nadal. But seeing as it had a happy ending for me, yes fantastic entertainment and much better than a safe but boring straight sets demolition.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a pint of lager costs about the same as most non-Wetherspoon pubs in London: £6.10.

Food offerings were crap though: overpriced and they’d run out of most hot food by early evening.

How do Wimbledon tickets work T & P ? Did your centre court ticket allow you to watch both matches?
Yes, if you get your hands on a Centre ticket (or for the other show courts, 1, 2 and 3), you can go in and out as you please throughout the day and can watch all three scheduled matches.

Reactions: MBV
Did you get yours through 2020 ballot?
No, bought it online a few weeks ago (well, my mate did) directly from All England Club. For the last decade or so they have been putting additional tickets on sale a few weeks before the tournament begins. You just need to be subscribed to their newsletters, because that's how they announce when a batch of tickets is released. If you go online as soon as possible after the newsletter is sent, you will more likely than not land some tickets.

Thank you! So you don't have to be in a club for that? I try the ballot and Ticketmaster but no luck. Have been on court 1 and centre before through queue previous years and online ticket thing last year .

Thank you! So you don't have to be in a club for that? I try the ballot and Ticketmaster but no luck. Have been on court 1 and centre before through queue previous years and online ticket thing last year .
No, just need to be registered with the All England Club. and whereas more show court tickets for this year are unlikely, they have been known to release them in past tournaments with one day notice for the following day’s play, so I’d say you should absolutely register an account with them. And general grounds admission tickets being made available are even more likely. They certainly have in previous years. I distinctly remember articles in the press about people who’d queued on the day for six hours for a ground ticket complaining about finding out other people had managed to buy tickets online the night before.

Watson and Juvan both playing some beautifuGreat that l creative tennis just now :eek: That was really fascinating.
Great that Watson is into the fourth round. I think Katie Boulter has a good chance of making the fourth round too, although Harmony Tan, who beat Serena Williams, will not be an easy opponent - saw a bit of the Williams match and Tan was very crafty against a much more powerful opponent.

Tennis first world problems: three matches I really want to see (Nadal v. Sonego, Kyrgios v. Tsitsipas, the return of Kyle Edmund in mixed doubles) are all on at more or less the same time. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom