Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Been out in the garden today, finally started digging out the bare patch of soil where I store my bins to put down a plastic shed base thingy. I’m not in great physical shape and using a spade etc to dig up soil takes it out of me.

Anyway after a few hours I’ve managed to more or less do what I want. It isn’t flat, but then my garden isn’t flat, and it definitely slopes the right way most of the time :hmm: And now my gate will stop catching on the grass as it had been

View attachment 407430
View attachment 407431
Bins will be on the top bit, the lower tier which is by far the least flat will have some form of planter on, to screen the bins. Can probably get that flat with plant feet. Concrete chunks found around the garden to border the two. Managed to lose the spare soil in the lawn on a bit where it dipped a bit.

To be filled with gravel next weekend, it will be cheaper using my mates Wickes trade discount so will wait till then rather than nipping to Homebase.
I did this back in January (getting it a bit more level later on thanks to a suggestion from iona :) )

I later chucked gravel on it

IMG_9756.jpeg
Annoyingly some grass coming through now as I didn’t apply a membrane

Now the lower tier is being used for its intended purpose which is to (eventually) obscure my bins, having just planted some jasmine

IMG_0749.jpeg

Just need to wait for it to spread :)

Anyway nice to make some progress. I’m never sure if my ideas will work out or not, but I’m feeling quite positive about this one

Next job is to tackle the lower “rice paddy tiers” of my sloping garden - probably in a few weeks time.

Been rummaging and trying to tidy in the garden. Would anyone in South London like a reasonable sized, purple flowered Hebe?

This kind of thing Veronica 'Autumn Glory' - hebe 'Autmn Glory'

I have a couple that I took as cuttings and grew on but no space:
IMG_20240412_182613.jpg

Much loved by bees and other insects in flower, evergreen. Pretty easy going and sturdy (I haven't killed them!). I can deliver if you're not too far away!

I did this back in January (getting it a bit more level later on thanks to a suggestion from iona :) )

I later chucked gravel on it

View attachment 419679
Annoyingly some grass coming through now as I didn’t apply a membrane

Now the lower tier is being used for its intended purpose which is to (eventually) obscure my bins, having just planted some jasmine

View attachment 419680

Just need to wait for it to spread :)

Anyway nice to make some progress. I’m never sure if my ideas will work out or not, but I’m feeling quite positive about this one

Next job is to tackle the lower “rice paddy tiers” of my sloping garden - probably in a few weeks time.
That looks pretty good to me!

I'm hoping the urban gardening hive mind can help: I have a lovely red Acer, it is clear it has been grafted onto some green acer root stock, the green is now sprouting from the root, other than just being handy with the secateurs to snip off any of the host is there anything else I should be doing?

I'm hoping the urban gardening hive mind can help: I have a lovely red Acer, it is clear it has been grafted onto some green acer root stock, the green is now sprouting from the root, other than just being handy with the secateurs to snip off any of the host is there anything else I should be doing?
I think that's about it really, the root stocks tend to be more robust/fast growing iirc so may need to be kept at bay

Things I've been doing.

PXL_20240413_103506261.jpg

Constructing an obelisk. Needs a coat of Hammerite before it can be used.

PXL_20240413_103534190.jpg

New plum tree. Nice to see blossom on it. The last plum tree I had was a dud that never even blossomed.

PXL_20240413_103617171.jpg

Growing the tallest fritillaria I've seen.

PXL_20240413_103600074.jpg

Transferring forget me nots I had in a pot to the garden. They are doing very well.

This is extremely hopeful:

Have noted before but I used to love seeing elms when I was at uni in the 70s, gorgeous lopsided shape.

1713093046037.png

I got some elms from some bloke in Scotland 20 years ago. They're doing well but they've not reached the 20 feet when the beetles apparently start killing them - certainly seems true because there are loads of elms along our road and they do die when they hit that height. Mine are only about 12 - 15 foot high yet, not sure whether they'll have the proper elms shape that these new ones have though.

My dahlia bulbs are sprouting so going to take some cuttings. I don't have rooting powder though...does anyone know if it's necessary?? Or might they take any way?

View attachment 420199

Check the nick of my shed.
That's actually less wonky than mine is lol.

Got one raised bed raised again, few wheelbarrows of topsoil/home compost mix and 200l of more compost I'd bought before and its levelled up at the top. Dropped like crazy. One next to it has gone down from 80% full to about 10% somehow.

Planted rainbow carrots, nantes carrots, onions and french radishes. Sod whatever I'm supposed to plant. Loads of room left and anything planted has to be better than nothing. Tho I was more sensible this time and not throw huge amounts in like it was grass seed.

Few celery basically ready to pick soonish, those grew somehow from crowns(?) Top thing of what I'd bought anyway lol. Have strawberries, tomatoes and raspberries to go in to get me started on the trellis.

Other one joined to planted bed I'm adding basil, peppers more celery (covering holy trinity and mire poix) then maybe daikon/sweet potatoes to see how it goes and something from the random pile of seeds

Then I need to setup the next one, well two joined again. Sort out a proper compost pile and trim everything back plus look for something to shield the wind a bit thats cheap and grows reasonably quickly in a hedge lol. Was thinking maybe sprout a loaf of juniper seeds then stick em down the row. When it's like 80ft to cover I'm not buying mature plants and there's no huge hurry. I'd just like less wind from that direction and zeus won't answer my sacrifice of all the cuts and stings I got clearing it up.

My dahlia bulbs are sprouting so going to take some cuttings. I don't have rooting powder though...does anyone know if it's necessary?? Or might they take any way?
You can try honey instead of rooting powder but rooting powder would be better.

How to make more dahlias​

• Select strong, healthy shoots about 7.5cm (3in) long and remove them with a small sliver of the parent tuber. Use a clean, sharp knife.
  • Lay the cutting on a hard surface and remove the lower leaves flush with the stem. Neatly trim the base of the cutting to remove untidy ends that could rot in the compost.
  • Dip the bottom of each cutting into hormone rooting powder and insert three cuttings, 2.5cm (1in) deep, into a pot.

Aftercare​

• Put cuttings in a propagator or put a clear plastic bag over the pot and secure with an elastic band.
  • In about three weeks the cuttings will have formed roots. Split the root ball apart carefully and pot each cutting individually into a 7.5cm (3in) pot.
  • Feed weekly and plant out after the last frosts. If cuttings are kept well fed and watered they should flower in the same year.

Holy crap thats large, looks like Heligan or something, we have Gunnera and bamboo by the pond but clumping so not spread past 6m or so. Ours suddenly popped up, want to split the whatever it above root thing. Taking up way too much space.

You can try honey instead of rooting powder but rooting powder would be better.
I decided to just buy some rooting powder in the end as the dahlias weren't quite big enough to chop bits off. Now I am eyeing up other plants...I have two delphiniums which I think you can do shoot cuttings from and could do with another rosemary closer to the backdoor.

Planted a bunch of stuff out today, well the two right beds, made a thing in excel for designing it so expect some stupidly involved timelines and things to be attached to it over time. Season, growing time, temps, whatever. Seeing what bed it works in etc. 434428039_953160416347900_8789538432621701754_n.png

edit second after posting this I am thinking of temp tracking and direction and duration of sun, plus that I need a drip system setup and markers for when the things will be too big on the climber side so I can harvest some bamboo to use.

Anyone know anything about battery cylinder mowers? lol. Mine has just, stopped, battery is full, it almost starts but then just sort of cuts out immediately. Have picked out everything that could be blocking it and kinda stuck. Am getting a free replacement but it would be nice to get it going instead of landfilling it, wondering if I could just get it fixed on the warranty too....

Anyone know anything about battery cylinder mowers? lol. Mine has just, stopped, battery is full, it almost starts but then just sort of cuts out immediately. Have picked out everything that could be blocking it and kinda stuck. Am getting a free replacement but it would be nice to get it going instead of landfilling it, wondering if I could just get it fixed on the warranty too....
Is there a safety cut out on it somewhere that is gummed up?

Back
Top Bottom