Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

The gastropods love thyme. They always eat mine before I get the chance
Really? I wouldn't have thought they'd be keen and they seem to avoid mine. Woody aromatics aren't usually their favourite meal.

Winter savoury is my favourite herb and I'd just got the thyme softening the edge of the path in a romantic way :mad:

Possibly it was just too wet for them this winter.

Is there a safety cut out on it somewhere that is gummed up?
It's barely 6 months old, theres a must be inserted safety key for it to operate but the contacts are shiny and it and the battery have been stored indoors. I read the manual and all it says about maintenance on this is it may stop if the blades are obstructed. Which is has done before hitting something but then that was easily removed. I've had the thing upside down and pulled out even bits of dried grass plus I can rotate the blades myself with some effort but the motor refuses to except to immediately cut out and let you try again.

Its this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-3414200-Li-Solo-Cordless-Cylinder/dp/B083X3ZBDK?th=1

Tho I now notice it says it should be able to work without the battery too and the wheels won't move forward currently so theres my starting point I think.

Been rummaging and trying to tidy in the garden. Would anyone in South London like a reasonable sized, purple flowered Hebe?

This kind of thing Veronica 'Autumn Glory' - hebe 'Autmn Glory'

I have a couple that I took as cuttings and grew on but no space:
View attachment 419681

Much loved by bees and other insects in flower, evergreen. Pretty easy going and sturdy (I haven't killed them!). I can deliver if you're not too far away!
Is this still available? Would like to take up your kind offer if it is.

New house with gardens back and front . Will post some pics soon

Have some basic ideàs of a design. Basically I want to grow as much food as I can, but i still want it to look like a garden not an allotment with a few flowering shrubs and some edible flowers or companion planting.

Soil looks to be heavy clay. To save back ache I want mostly raised beds. In the mean time I'm using old recyvling boxes as containers , picking up 6 from Freecycle this weekend. Have started planting seeds for herbs salad and veg.

its quite exciting and daunting at the same time.

New house with gardens back and front . Will post some pics soon

Have some basic ideàs of a design. Basically I want to grow as much food as I can, but i still want it to look like a garden not an allotment with a few flowering shrubs and some edible flowers or companion planting.

Soil looks to be heavy clay. To save back ache I want mostly raised beds. In the mean time I'm using old recyvling boxes as containers , picking up 6 from Freecycle this weekend. Have started planting seeds for herbs salad and veg.

its quite exciting and daunting at the same time.
Have you looked at the Potager style of gardening? It's supposed to be a way of mixing veg and ornamentals so it looks decorative.

The closest I got to it was planting lollo rosso and bianco lettuces and letting self-seeded poppies grow around the outside. It looked good for a while but once I started picking the lettuces and the poppies grew taller it got a bit out of hand.

There was supposed to be black kale in the mix too but the pigeons and slugs put paid to that!

Ooh yes! One or two?
How tall do hebe s grow? If taller than a meter maybe just one. If smaller maybe two?

Mostly want to grow food plants, lots of food, with just a few pretty shrubs at the end of back garden. With smaller low growing things and flowers in the front.

Going to have to actually use the propagator I bought now. If only so I stop looking at it and wondering why I haven't. Planted loads of seeds out but it takes too long at the beginning so cutting the reeds back, mowed again now they sent me basically a spare one and its set really high with the roller on. Cleared around the pond, some gunnera weird directions.

Wanting to replace shed but it will take time, is there anything I could stick up just to be waterproof thats fairly large and inexpensive or could also be used as a greenhouse/similar afterwards? At least 2m square. I have like 10 corrugated plastic roof sheets which also need a purpose,

Going to have to actually use the propagator I bought now. If only so I stop looking at it and wondering why I haven't. Planted loads of seeds out but it takes too long at the beginning so cutting the reeds back, mowed again now they sent me basically a spare one and its set really high with the roller on. Cleared around the pond, some gunnera weird directions.

Wanting to replace shed but it will take time, is there anything I could stick up just to be waterproof thats fairly large and inexpensive or could also be used as a greenhouse/similar afterwards? At least 2m square. I have like 10 corrugated plastic roof sheets which also need a purpose,
Clear plastic roof sheets?

Got it mowed, did loads of nettle removal down the hedges (left side down 120ft or so past a hedge you can't see) Stuck the third bed in place at top but it needs filling properly, think the hugelkultur is going to be dismantled and used as the base with homemade compost and smaller bits of sticks I'd stick in the hedge otherwise.

Have a huge load of whatever the Reed things are by pond growing behind shed. Think I'm shifting that all to the hedge and trying to get it going, ditch by hedge needs shoveling out again. Have got some 6ft x 2ft strips now I could transplant onto the hedge. Want to increase resistance to wind mainly, it grows like 5ft elsewhere. Been increasing the height by adding all larger trimmings there for years. Now need to get some things growing there.

I've a tree top right slightly out of shot, neighbours want it gone if possible. It's like 30ft tall, there's a tree in a house to the left that's a problem and would give me a few more hours a day of sunlight. But it has a TPO that needs removing and it cutting in half. They did it for like 7 others on the row. Should have done it before but it was on someone else's land and didn't think it would matter, it does.

Dudes a basically anything with tools especially including family, grounds keepers, estate managers, fisherman, lumber, all kinds of stuff, they saw me trimming a tree with a handsaw, hurdled the fence holding a chain saw and cut it up for me. While they were having a bbq lol. Both carers for complex needs mental health patients and on overnights often so idk how you best that for purposeful work. I can't, best I did was help the payments for such things proceed compliantly Lol. Noisy fuckers when they have a party but they know everyone and we'll big deal. Don't complain about me playing games or us being generally loud. Big deal. Fence should cut off some of the grandkids noise and mowing every 3 days wirh the new mower is great at 38mm. Highlights everything that is not grass or clover, so many dandelions and cow parsley to remove every year but whatever it'll turn into something and we have blue flowers and those three cornered garlic or whatever it is all white down the hedge.

Need to get some more colour in and sort out the third bed, peppers and tomatoes next on agenda. May add another bed in the space by the left one above it. Can see where the sun is at 3pm tho, basically growing in the worst area but that's the bit we don't use so makes sense. May setup something at the front, just need to sort that out next, may bung some pics up if anyone can help lol.20240428_165108.jpg

All the hard work on my lawn over the last 4 years looks like it's finally going to pay off this year. Hardly any weed grass, just beautiful fescues and other desirable grasses.

Still some poa at the top end in the shade, but I'm on top of it and slowly winning the battle. Just have to keep on getting those seed heads off before they fall on the soil.

IMG_20240428_152329.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240428_152350.jpg
    IMG_20240428_152350.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 8
Beginning to think a rotavator would be very useful for the huge drainage ditch I dig out every year, mix of heavy clay soil and 4sqm of agricultural run off. Not getting younger but I can use machinery and investing in saving my back more now seems like the sensible choice now while it has longer to pay off. Especially with a bad back, will see how long that takes given I decided to replace the shed 5 years ago and still waiting on finances...
Something appears to have sprouted, chart says it should be onions, google lens says its radishes, which I did plant but not there I thought, damned stoned gardening.

Beginning to think a rotavator would be very useful for the huge drainage ditch I dig out every year, mix of heavy clay soil and 4sqm of agricultural run off. Not getting younger but I can use machinery and investing in saving my back more now seems like the sensible choice now while it has longer to pay off. Especially with a bad back, will see how long that takes given I decided to replace the shed 5 years ago and still waiting on finances...
Something appears to have sprouted, chart says it should be onions, google lens says its radishes, which I did plant but not there I thought, damned stoned gardening.
Google lens is not that good with leaf ID

Yeh I figured it probably wouldn't be, its not bad with grown stuff tho. Just I happened to put French Radishes in the next section, or thought I did.....
That's what those little white lane markers are for ;) . Still I am sure you will be able to tell before it's ready to eat.:D

Back
Top Bottom