Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Thanks, I was a bit wary of roots, one of the reasons the edging has been retained to help keep things level if I go down the planter route (ha ha). Never thought of growing edible stuff, that’s an idea
The shingle & membrane are possibly there to protect the bottom of your wall from damp. I'd not interfere with it or plant in that zone unless you're happy there's not a potential damp risk in that area. Specifically I'd see if I could see where the damp-proof course is. Does it step up with the slope? If there's anywhere that it's less than 2 or 3 bricks above the ground level, I'd be cautious.

Containers. All of my gardening is in containers because I don't have any ground to plant in, just a couple of small roof terraces.

Over time there's a kind of turnover of soil, maybe from when I dig out a dead plant or when I get a new one with some soil in the pot and dig a hole to put it in. Or when I completely empty & renew a container or whatever. Anyway, I tend to have a bucket or two of soil maybe mixed up with weeds I've pulled up or things I've pruned off.

In a proper garden this would all just get chucked on a compost heap but I keep it because it's not easy to dispose of, and also because getting new soil in is expensive and a hassle.

Sometimes I make use of it to top up containers but I'm never sure if this is a bad idea. It often sits in the buckets over winter and gets waterlogged until the first day of spring I start trying to get things back into order.

Hence this post today.

What should I actually be doing with this stuff? In the past I've read advice to sterilise it by sticking it in the oven. One time I did actually do that but it was some soil where I'd discovered the roots of something were all rotten and covered in some kind of mould.

If I use this winter's waterlogged waste bucket soil to top up my containers in general am I risking bad things?
Could you get one of those small compost bins where you regularly turn it? I'm wondering what to do with old soil myself tbh, I was thinking take it to the park and put it on top of soil there but I'm not sure.

Containers. All of my gardening is in containers because I don't have any ground to plant in, just a couple of small roof terraces.

Over time there's a kind of turnover of soil, maybe from when I dig out a dead plant or when I get a new one with some soil in the pot and dig a hole to put it in. Or when I completely empty & renew a container or whatever. Anyway, I tend to have a bucket or two of soil maybe mixed up with weeds I've pulled up or things I've pruned off.

In a proper garden this would all just get chucked on a compost heap but I keep it because it's not easy to dispose of, and also because getting new soil in is expensive and a hassle.

Sometimes I make use of it to top up containers but I'm never sure if this is a bad idea. It often sits in the buckets over winter and gets waterlogged until the first day of spring I start trying to get things back into order.

Hence this post today.

What should I actually be doing with this stuff? In the past I've read advice to sterilise it by sticking it in the oven. One time I did actually do that but it was some soil where I'd discovered the roots of something were all rotten and covered in some kind of mould.

If I use this winter's waterlogged waste bucket soil to top up my containers in general am I risking bad things?
I'm not sure about the waterlogged soil in the bucket. I would have thought that any aerobic processes which would normally keep the 'soil' healthy have stopped with all the water. Whether the contents in the bucket is useless now, is another matter. Water meadows flourish with new growth when they're not flooded so perhaps using the soil wouldn't be too problematic. I would suggest you might want to add in some fresh stuff to it. Hopefully, someone who knows more about soil biology will be along with a more scientific answer.

In the long term, have you considered something like a mini hot composter? It wouldn't take up much more space than your bucket and has the advantage of composting kitchen scraps too.

Something like this HOTBIN Mini (100ltr)

It has a footprint of just 45cm x 45cm so wouldn't take up too much space. I know they say there's an art in getting the right balance of stuff to add to get great compost out but I add spent soil to mine along with shredded confidential papers, kitchen scraps, lawn clippings and weeds and it seems to produce compost without too many problems. It doesn't produce loads but it sounds as though you don't need a huge amount.

ETA: Sort of what cesare was suggesting.

Have been potting on a few seedlings. The sweet peas are doing really well - up to about a foot high. This is the height where I don't know how to stake them. They're too small for bamboo stakes but are flopping everywhere so need something. :(

I'm not sure about the waterlogged soil in the bucket. I would have thought that any aerobic processes which would normally keep the 'soil' healthy have stopped with all the water. Whether the contents in the bucket is useless now, is another matter. Water meadows flourish with new growth when they're not flooded so perhaps using the soil wouldn't be too problematic. I would suggest you might want to add in some fresh stuff to it. Hopefully, someone who knows more about soil biology will be along with a more scientific answer.

In the long term, have you considered something like a mini hot composter? It wouldn't take up much more space than your bucket and has the advantage of composting kitchen scraps too.

Something like this HOTBIN Mini (100ltr)

It has a footprint of just 45cm x 45cm so wouldn't take up too much space. I know they say there's an art in getting the right balance of stuff to add to get great compost out but I add spent soil to mine along with shredded confidential papers, kitchen scraps, lawn clippings and weeds and it seems to produce compost without too many problems. It doesn't produce loads but it sounds as though you don't need a huge amount.

ETA: Sort of what cesare was suggesting.
Yeah I've considered that sort of thing but never really looked into it properly. Even at that size it's quite a lot of land-take in what I have available, space that could otherwise be filled with greenery. Maybe I should reconsider though.

Yeah I've considered that sort of thing but never really looked into it properly. Even at that size it's quite a lot of land-take in what I have available, space that could otherwise be filled with greenery. Maybe I should reconsider though.
You could somewhat disguise it with container climbers either side and some trellis/metal arch/obelisk?

Have been potting on a few seedlings. The sweet peas are doing really well - up to about a foot high. This is the height where I don't know how to stake them. They're too small for bamboo stakes but are flopping everywhere so need something. :(
Pea sticks?
Edit - when you say potting on, do you mean into their final positions or not yet?

What volume of soil are you talking about in, say, a month or a year teuchter?
Not much at all really, it's a bucketful or two that might exist an any one time and maybe two or three times a year I have a session of planting/digging stuff up where there might be a turnover of that kind of quantity.

The shingle & membrane are possibly there to protect the bottom of your wall from damp. I'd not interfere with it or plant in that zone unless you're happy there's not a potential damp risk in that area. Specifically I'd see if I could see where the damp-proof course is. Does it step up with the slope? If there's anywhere that it's less than 2 or 3 bricks above the ground level, I'd be cautious.
Thats not actually my wall, it’s the neighbours wall, my house is offset from next door and the footprint of my house is the other side of the planter in the picture. But take your point, my mate who is RICS qualified suggested low level ground cover rather than anything which will form deep roots

Not much at all really, it's a bucketful or two that might exist an any one time and maybe two or three times a year I have a session of planting/digging stuff up where there might be a turnover of that kind of quantity.
I'd just dump it on a public flowerbed somewhere and buy a small bag of potting mix occasionally in that case tbh, if you're that limited for space.

Sowed my Cosmos seeds, because they bloomed their hearts out last year. Already some shoots in 7 days.

Divided Russian sage...the silver stemmed blue one. Moved a primrose, but think I've killed it. The lavender is definitely dead, but that's tradition.

Tying in the roses, they're all doing great. Tulips and alliums poking up. Found a random potato vine plant that's romping towards a trellis, so it can continue with thanks. The red Robins are dazzling. A clematis, that has neither thrived nor died for 2 years, just sits there poking a couple of inches out of the soil looking arsey, is still alive.

Was just about to turf last years compost out of three pots, saw tiny shoots appearing, looked back on photos from last year and happy to know the Balloon flowers have survived. That's three less pots to fill.

Love this time of year.

have spent the past few days building a little lean-to/greenhouse. made mainly from 2 by 4 and some UV resistant polyethylene. feeling pretty pleased with how its turned out, though the plastic is a little easier to tear than I was hoping. fortunately the areas pretty well protected, just got to hope that the horde of neighbourhood cats don't decide to use it as a trampoline!

PXL_20240407_175750674.jpg

I'd just dump it on a public flowerbed somewhere and buy a small bag of potting mix occasionally in that case tbh, if you're that limited for space.
Because re-using it might cause problems? Or do you mean just to get it out of the way.

Because re-using it might cause problems? Or do you mean just to get it out of the way.
Because storing it when space is that limited, and putting any thought into what's fine to reuse and what might contain weed roots or seeds / pests / fungal spores / other potentially bad shit, seems like a massive ballache compared to just replacing such small amounts.

have spent the past few days building a little lean-to/greenhouse. made mainly from 2 by 4 and some UV resistant polyethylene. feeling pretty pleased with how its turned out, though the plastic is a little easier to tear than I was hoping. fortunately the areas pretty well protected, just got to hope that the horde of neighbourhood cats don't decide to use it as a trampoline!

View attachment 419012
I am trying to get rid of a trampoline, net support snapped and its not being used, huge pain in the arse. Wondering if I can repurpose lol.

Do have 15 corrugated plastic sheets I ordered with some project in mind that could make an interesting greenhouse or something if I can get round to processing scrap wood into useful bits. Looks nice, was thinking about a bunch of gravel for ours to just follow the desire lines and stop us getting muddy bits.

I am trying to get rid of a trampoline, net support snapped and its not being used, huge pain in the arse. Wondering if I can repurpose lol.

Do have 15 corrugated plastic sheets I ordered with some project in mind that could make an interesting greenhouse or something if I can get round to processing scrap wood into useful bits. Looks nice, was thinking about a bunch of gravel for ours to just follow the desire lines and stop us getting muddy bits.
the gravel was a nightmare. I stupidly didn't realise that 'delivery' meant dumping a ton of gravel in the road and leaving me to it. took 3 and a bit hours of back and forth with a wheelie bin to move it all.

the gravel was a nightmare. I stupidly didn't realise that 'delivery' meant dumping a ton of gravel in the road and leaving me to it. took 3 and a bit hours of back and forth with a wheelie bin to move it all.
When I've had bulk deliveries of gravel it's come in those tonne bags and fortunately I have a strip of land at the roadside for them to be dropped from the delivery lorry.

Sometimes you can get the driver to drop it into your garden if there’s access but often they can’t due to insurance, probably more luck with a local place.

theres definitely no access to our garden. not sure what i was assuming would happen and didn't think it thru at all!

There is loads to do and I have a bad back :mad:

Also the snails have discovered my grow table and it's now a snail nursery :mad: Wondering whether to keep hand picking them or turf all the compost out and start again 🤔

There is loads to do and I have a bad back :mad:

Also the snails have discovered my grow table and it's now a snail nursery :mad: Wondering whether to keep hand picking them or turf all the compost out and start again 🤔
Hunt and kill - search out the hibernaculums in daylight and do anight patrol with a torch - within a week, you will have dealt with themollusc acopalypse...says this furious gatrdener who has lost all the salvia,ranunculous,habranthus, iberisand delphinium seedlings because I was too slow off the mark.

I go and toss the collected slugs and snails onto the building site - once council land, now sold off to a developer - the brother in law of the head of the council's planning dept...Berlusconi levels of corruption in my town.

Yeah I do an evening murder circuit with a pair of scissors at this time of year. Just keep killing until you hardly see any.

Don't know if its good or bad, but my compost bin is literally heaving with wood lice. Im not adverse at all, just never seen so many in one place. When I lift the lid, it's a grey twitching orgy of copulating shimmery-ness.
I've got to tip it over and get the good stuff out soon, but saddened to break up the party.

Back
Top Bottom