Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

I use rat poison left in long wooden tunnel trap things that only the rats will go into.
I had an electric zapper thing on the same idea, somehow they just ignored the bait completely but its worth trying again or adapting somehow. Looked at bucket traps with the rotating lure but it seems more mean than I am prepared to do v instant.

Cleared the tent which should absolutely not have been left there for the 3rd year, everytime I put it up its SO takes it down, then they don't and the tent gets fucked, its kinda annoying but well life. Won't be on there this year unless I get something sorted anyway then its back of the list of restocking priority stuff. Since where it went sits so low I am considering that as a pond location, if it sits and drains there then taking the side water if flooding happens seems sort of sensible and cheaper than a french drain, especially since it would then need to get up to get over the driveway which makes no sense. Maybe some kind of solar pump with a filter that just chucks some of it out at a certain level. Maybe a project with a rasp pi and some poly to detect levels v using the pump and a lipo battery in there with a battery backup pack to deal with lack of solar power for some time. If it powers a VR set for 8 hours a pump seems a oppportunity for a fountain near the (above ground 8x4ft with heating) pool I am looking to put a deck around but havent been able to heat in years. Weirdly my water is capped and my oil is cheap so cheaper to refill every day we want it somehow. No outside tap tho which doesn't help.

Filled 6 wheelbarrows with cowbell or whatever they are plants, spread some of the oldest compost about, mulch over the bare areas, transplanted grass to dead areas from an area I am unsure about but creates a lot of grass with no effort. The hedge to next door is getting higher, keep adding 3 feet and gaining 1 but its been a few years now. Thinking about willow on it to block wind, Sycamores, holly and the single Oak are not helping much and quick solution means more garden is usable.

Want to stick up a fence to next door but they just buried a dog on the fence line, their side of course. Also idk where the actual line is and the council don't either, despite it being their property. OS guy had no idea, planning people had no idea, eventually suggesting I contact the owner....

Nearly moved all the transplant grass before the next raised bed goes in, that should fix the holes except where the tent was. Hugelkultur may get moved since I get so many apples from another location and plastic sheets work well. Could turn that into a huge pile of new compost in a otherwise squishy area. Also need to chop down some bits of trampoline, how do you get rid of one? lol. Idk the value of whatever it is strap wise.

Could get a 4ft raised bed up, like 4m x 3ft roughly. Stil unsure what to plant, have a ridiculous amount of seeds and just need a day to clear out and add bits then start again. Also order chicken wire. With a max height of 3ft for most of it suggestions based on this? Looking to do peas and tomatoes on frames once I made some. Onions, celery, carrots, swede, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, potatoes, chilies, fresh peas (SO would eat just these if available), sweet corn, any fresh herbs (have a massive one for rosemary), chives. Then raspberries (have basket since I know its a spread issue), starwberies andI would love cherries but the tree takes too long (is too expensive). Thats our main consumption so mades more sense to me to grow those and I have a lot of seeds to go to the local community garden. Squash has been a huge one, its very large and tastes nice, most of the rest are less hassle than usual it seems. Working out the months is more complex but I can get more beds if required. Also working on free sources of usable wood/whatever locally doing what we can with what is available.

I had an electric zapper thing on the same idea, somehow they just ignored the bait completely
Yeah we use the good shit here that you can only buy with the right licence, luckily a neighbour has one. Rats go mad for it. (I don't like to use poison usually but the place is overrun with them otherwise, including indoors)

You can sow peas now and if you go for a dwarf variety you'll get peas slightly sooner and also don't need to worry much about support, just poke some sticks into the ground. If you have rodent issues you might want to sow them indoors and then plant out once they've germinated.

Celery can be sown now too, and you'll want to do onions asap if you're growing from seed rather than sets. Probably best starting both indoors. Tomatoes and chillies also now or soon but they need warmth to germinate and they'll need to be indoors for a while yet after. If you're growing them in raised beds with low covers that rules out indeterminate (cordon type) tomatoes - try a very short bush or properly dwarf type instead. Some of the dwarf ones tend to want to trail so they'll either need supports or might do better in pots. Real Seeds do a dwarf tomato that's specially adapted to the lower light levels you'll get on a sunny windowsill or conservatory, which always does well for me (I still have loads of home saved seed if anyone wants some posted....)

Squash not quite yet, and if you're limited space-wise I'd go try to go for bush rather than trailing types. Bushes will eventually start to sprawl but not to the same extent.

Carrots can be direct sown undercover (fleece or clear plastic covered beds) from now too. I put black plastic down last week to warm the soil up a bit before I start sowing mine.

The Lidl cold frame. TopCat is vindicated though as the cover split in the left hand corner while putting it on the frame.

PXL_20240321_181411782.jpg

After strategically moving some of the foxgloves I've sowed some broad beans in it, on the theory that I might be able to productively overlap them with the inevitable courgettes/squashes and runners.

So not strictly gardening but the Amaryllis that my Mum was bought for Christmas has finally bloomed. We thought it was a blind bulb and my sister even went back to Marks to tell them and they gave her a credit note. :oops: I've never known one to flower so late.
We've had to help it out a bit with a stick and piece of string to keep it upright. :D
20240326_082156.jpg

Also going to attempt to repot a horse chestnut tree which we've had for around 20 years. There's a lot of sentimentality wrapped up with it because it was my brother's who passed away but it needs doing because some rogue bluebells have got into the pot and are taking over.
I'm a bit nervous about doing it.

Last edited:
That's interesting - how deep is that pot and how often do you water it? (At first sight I thought it was just a bowl and you'd done something like bonsai-ing the roots :eek: )

Yeah, it is just a bowl. My sister found a seedling around 20 years ago and planted it in that bowl and then my brother cared for it. We don't want it to get any bigger but the damn bluebells were multiplying.
We make sure it has plenty of water in the summer but it looks after itself during other times of the year.

This might be a question for campanula if she's still about.

My front "garden" could do with a makeover. It's about 3m x2ish and contains an ancient privet hedge which gives me some privacy from the road but obviously makes the rest of it shady and dry.

Because the flat is semi-basement anything that grows is at eye level from the living room. Geranium does ok ish there but currently it's about 50% weeds.

My mother suggested ferns which I thought was a great idea, but I'm not sure it's really damp enough to support a variety. I had a vision for a moment there though, which I've always lacked. It's not an inspiring spot.

Any creative suggestions?

Any chance of a photo RubyToogood?

Some ferns will do well in fairly dry shade. Asplenium scolopendrium will grow out of brick walls and iirc some dryopteris and polystichum are good choices too. Add some heucherella, and hostas if it's not too dry, and you'd have a nice mix of foliage there to be starting with. Hellebores, Eurybia divaricata and Brunnera macrophylla would all probably do well there too. Galium odoratum or Vinca minor 'Alba' are both pretty tough ground over plants once they get going. So is Liriope muscari, or even L. spicata if you're not worried about it taking over too much. Does it get enough sun for Japanese anemones?

Very good suggestions from Iona...although I have only ever had the most miserable fails with hosta. I have a ridiculous 'spring border' - in reality, a teeny 30cm wide, north facing strip, often woefully neglected (by me). Japanese anemones have always been in the garden - a beautiful and enthusiastic coloniser, but only the most resilient plants survive the harsh 'field-testing' has seen off numerous choice plants (thalictrums, pulmonarias, impatiens).Surving and thriving still are geraniums - a dependable g.macrorrhizum 'White Ness ' a purer, cleaner colour than the ubiquitous pink flowered forms Also, geranium nodosum - will seed about but easily edited. There is a mannerly form called 'Silverwood' worth searching out. I have a coupla saxifrages - s.fortunei and a London Pride, S x urbium 'Clarence Elliot I got from Dorset Perennials (My favourite mail order nursery). And yes, there are some really lovely ferns for dry shade (got mine from Dorset Perennials). I definitely second galium and the more mannerly vinca minor 'Gertrude Jekyll'. Also, you could add in a couple of our hardy cyclamens - c.coum and c.hederifolium and plan ahead to include spring bulbs (for a late summer planting) and now is also a good time to plant snowdrops 'in the green'.
I do like the restrained green and white colours in a small, shady space

Last edited:
Oh yeah thanks, I meant 'Gertrude Jekyll'. Mulch it and plant a bit of that seems to be my go-to answer for almost anything. There's a Liriope muscari with white flowers too iirc.

Snowdrops too, they look great next to hellebores in early spring when deciduous stuff mostly hasn't got going yet and all the evergreens are looking a bit bedraggled after making it through winter. Planting a couple of different species in separate but nearby clumps can make it seem like there's more going on than there actually is at that time of year.

Euphorbia amygdaloides var. robbiae is another good one for dry shade and it'd work well if you're doing the ferns and foliage thing.

Last edited:
I've been planting up a bunch of very old seeds. Flowers (verbena, cosmos, zinnia, lupins) and a bunch of veg (fennel, courgettes, squashes, broccoli, Pak choi, beans). Have taken over the kitchen a bit and repurposed my work desk for a few weeks as it gets good sun.

O we all have one (or several) of those 'corners of shame'. Ruby, it is always going to be tricky to get in to work and weed so I think I would be looking for one or 2 strong growers at most, Clear as much as you can, whack in a good sized polystichum or dryopteris, (or best of all, asplenium scolopendrium as it is reliably evergreen), a scrambler such as the little vinca and mulch crazily with cardboard and woodchips. The foliage will cover the area within a season and will look decent all year (and if you can lever in a few bulbs 'in the green'), you are done.

I am looking at my front garden now and plan to clear the weeds from the 40cm wide shingle bed that adjoins my front path and next doors wall. I am pondering what to plant where I marked in red. It is South / SW facing so gets sun in the summer and wind and rain coming off the moors all year round :D

IMG_0672.jpeg

Under the shingle is a membrane then soil. I gather that I can cut a hole in the membrane to plant things through.

I currently have a few things in pots, which will eventually grow up a trellis but as the path slopes away I would like to avoid pots if possible due to the need to get them level (which is what I have used the wooden edging currently leaned against the wall for)

Any thoughts? Stuff that the bees and birds will like is what I’m after, nice smells and colours. I love lavender but I have a lot of that in the back already. I could use a trellis again though not massively keen on ladders

I am looking at my front garden now and plan to clear the weeds from the 40cm wide shingle bed that adjoins my front path and next doors wall. I am pondering what to plant where I marked in red. It is South / SW facing so gets sun in the summer and wind and rain coming off the moors all year round :D

View attachment 418807

Under the shingle is a membrane then soil. I gather that I can cut a hole in the membrane to plant things through.

I currently have a few things in pots, which will eventually grow up a trellis but as the path slopes away I would like to avoid pots if possible due to the need to get them level (which is what I have used the wooden edging currently leaned against the wall for)

Any thoughts? Stuff that the bees and birds will like is what I’m after, nice smells and colours. I love lavender but I have a lot of that in the back already. I could use a trellis again though not massively keen on ladders
I'd be tempted to put large/long pots/planters along by the wall rather than have things rooting close to the building. You could do fruit, or beans or nasturtiums maybe? Or tomatoes... Or Jasmine?

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to put large/long pots/planters along by the wall rather than have things rooting close to the building. You could do fruit, or beans or nasturtiums maybe? Or tomatoes... Or Jasmine?
Thanks, I was a bit wary of roots, one of the reasons the edging has been retained to help keep things level if I go down the planter route (ha ha). Never thought of growing edible stuff, that’s an idea

Containers. All of my gardening is in containers because I don't have any ground to plant in, just a couple of small roof terraces.

Over time there's a kind of turnover of soil, maybe from when I dig out a dead plant or when I get a new one with some soil in the pot and dig a hole to put it in. Or when I completely empty & renew a container or whatever. Anyway, I tend to have a bucket or two of soil maybe mixed up with weeds I've pulled up or things I've pruned off.

In a proper garden this would all just get chucked on a compost heap but I keep it because it's not easy to dispose of, and also because getting new soil in is expensive and a hassle.

Sometimes I make use of it to top up containers but I'm never sure if this is a bad idea. It often sits in the buckets over winter and gets waterlogged until the first day of spring I start trying to get things back into order.

Hence this post today.

What should I actually be doing with this stuff? In the past I've read advice to sterilise it by sticking it in the oven. One time I did actually do that but it was some soil where I'd discovered the roots of something were all rotten and covered in some kind of mould.

If I use this winter's waterlogged waste bucket soil to top up my containers in general am I risking bad things?

Back
Top Bottom