Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Damned rain, I was going to setup another double bed today, well fill it anyway and thats a hell of a lot of compost, top soil and compost. Says 1400l, or 2.5 tonnes ish. Just as well my second wheelbarrow is working and we have plenty of wood to bung in to bring up the level

Saturday 27th April 2024 and it was, at long last, dry & warm enough to give the grass patches their first trim of the year.
Did that on the highest setting and still had trouble with the mower yanking the thickest tufts. And I had sharpened the blade beforehand.

A number of other jobs as well, but nothing to write home about. Some are more kitchen garden things, anyway.
{spent quite a bit of time digging plastic out of the compost, after how many years I still have failed to train one of my housemates not to do that}

Hoping to plant things on Thursday. This is in a part of the garden which is just so plain and dull. It’s three or four tiers of shingle; between the path and the fence, and I plan to fill this with colour and scents.

Its been fairly cold and wet here but turning a bit warmer from Friday.

Just ordered a load of wildflower seeds and other perrenials to try and fill in gaps and add loads more colour, especially out the front and down the hedge. Few more bits for the veg patch, sunny today so hoping to get that all filled in and I found two big tomato/pepper tall grow sack things I apparently bought before plus some extra sacks from failed potato projects so can use those to move them around for better sun. Lots of digging and wheelbarrowing stuff about today I think. Got more red clover for the fill in bits and more grass seed for overseeding where I actually want some grass, something that flowers below 38mm would be ideal lol as thats the highest I can mow at.

Had to do a 300mile round car trip today instead of labouring in the garden ...

used some of the time to think about / discuss some options for planting schemes.

and if I find out which ***t has been using weedkiller, I'll been having words, as I try to garden organically.

Planting done of some lavenders, and something l liked the look of called Erysimum, which should hopefully add colour and attract bees and butterflies.

The soil under the membrane laid by previous owners is very compacted and rather stony. After cutting a plant sized hole in the membrane I’ve dug down and then planted a few things, roughly one thing for each step, as I hope they will spread over time, if not I can always plant more I suppose.

Not sure how these will drain, given the soil conditions, but what I planted does like - and will get - a decent amount of sunlight

F1296D09-C2E2-4D1F-8EDC-F6999E55E07A.jpeg

I’ve kept the soil (minus stones and roots which I’ve removed) in an old compost bag as having half a bag of soil will be handy for something.

Still got two lower tiers of the “rice paddy” to plant, but that will need to wait for another payday. Something a bit taller perhaps. It will get a bit less sunlight too.

I joined Which? And they’ve sent me a £20 M&S bribe token. I’m not sure M&S sells anything for below £20, particularly with postage.

But from their website I could get a plant and for near that. They’ve got a few small orchids, a peace lily and a rubber plant for indoors, and a passiflora (which I wouldn’t mind because I killed my last one although I’m not sure I’ve got a 30-foot long wall getting full sun).

Anyone any recommendations?

I turned my horse manure compost today. I'm not sure if it's ready to use or if I should leave it over the summer. It does look like compost, but I'm still finding little fresh balls of manure in the heap.

I turned my horse manure compost today. I'm not sure if it's ready to use or if I should leave it over the summer. It does look like compost, but I'm still finding little fresh balls of manure in the heap.
Not quite ready, then ... If you have the space I would leave it for a bit longer, unless you feel up to sorting into done and not done piles. Although that's probably not worth the time. Maybe use it, and retain the not done balls as you find them and add to the newer heap ?

[That's what I tend to do with my compost heap(s) most years]

Sowed loads of seeds. Courgettes, beans, aubergines (bit late), cucumbers, lettuce, cress, radish.

Got fifty plum tomatoes doing well. They will get brought outside soon. I have space for eight maybe. Got to finish gifting pepper plants and make some room.

Squirrels are now fucking in my garden right in front of me. They have no shame.

20240509_161312.jpg20240509_170913.jpg
Disassembled the hugelkultur as I basically did it wrong. Thats now planted with 3 types of clover and will have a sweet pea pyramid thing over it but looks bare. Taken all that for the beds and about 12 wheelbarrow loads of clayish topsoil/ homemade compost all broken up then 50l per 4 squares of bought compost. Want to do peppers and tomatoes, it gets the most sun. Rough calculations says it was about 2.5 tonnes. Also found another cover so that middle one that goes missing maybe where I put the next one.

20240509_161317.jpg

View attachment 423750View attachment 423751
Disassembled the hugelkultur as I basically did it wrong. Thats now planted with 3 types of clover and will have a sweet pea pyramid thing over it but looks bare. Taken all that for the beds and about 12 wheelbarrow loads of clayish topsoil/ homemade compost all broken up then 50l per 4 squares of bought compost. Want to do peppers and tomatoes, it gets the most sun. Rough calculations says it was about 2.5 tonnes. Also found another cover so that middle one that goes missing maybe where I put the next one.

View attachment 423752
Really interested in that big cold frame mini greenhouse thing. Can you tell me what where and how much plus your experience of using them pretty please? :)

Really interested in that big cold frame mini greenhouse thing. Can you tell me what where and how much plus your experience of using them pretty please? :)
- £38
For a 12ft long 4 section ones

https://amzn.eu/d/7sc9JBr
£37
Double pack with fits inside perfectly.

Had one rip, requested new top they sent a whole new one. Bit of decent tape it should be fine. Bags have been fine for last 17 months, gets surprisingly hot and humid. Like opening an oven door but less so.

Thats North facing too.

Had a mow and strim of the grass in the back garden.

Have a bit more money left than I thought this month so think I’ll plant a few more things this weekend.

I have to plant into gravel beds in both locations I was thinking of planting into - I was thinking it will be fuchsia for the lower of my rice paddy tiers which gets a fair bit of shade. Meanwhile in the front garden the area gets loads of sun so it will probably be more lavender.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Had a mow and strim of the grass in the back garden.

Have a bit more money left than I thought this month so think I’ll plant a few more things this weekend.

I have to plant into gravel beds in both locations I was thinking of planting into - I was thinking it will be fuchsia for the lower of my rice paddy tiers which gets a fair bit of shade. Meanwhile in the front garden the area gets loads of sun so it will probably be more lavender.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?
Rosemary. I am a bit biased as I prefer the smell to lavender. Both are good at for keeping away bitey insects.
Is it poor soil under the gravel? Roses are pretty forgiving of poor soil as long as they are fed. Rugosas are sand tolerant & persican hybrids too.
If it is really dry & you are looking for drought tolerant plants then succulents & cacti are good or a cordyline?
If your looking for a bit of instant colour then bedding geraniums are good for not needing regular watering.

Rosemary. I am a bit biased as I prefer the smell to lavender. Both are good at for keeping away bitey insects.
Is it poor soil under the gravel? Roses are pretty forgiving of poor soil as long as they are fed. Rugosas are sand tolerant & persican hybrids too.
If it is really dry & you are looking for drought tolerant plants then succulents & cacti are good or a cordyline?
If your looking for a bit of instant colour then bedding geraniums are good for not needing regular watering.
Thank you, I would think it is poor soil yes

I love this time of year in the garden. So much promise.
Same. It's definitely my happy space. I can't say I'm very successful at gardening (I kill sooo many things :D) but I love trying, take joy in what does grow and love just being in my space in the sun with the birds and the bees.

Was chasing a bee around yesterday trying to get a picture. Moths are more compliant though :D
IMG_20240510_192651.jpg

Back
Top Bottom