Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

i was thinkig of growing some grapes
but has dawned on me that the squirrels wont let me have nice things

Never seen squirrels munching on grapes and the guy at the allotment grows a fair few of them.

i got grapes in the conservatory that the squirrels don't bother with. Loads and loads of grapes

each 1cm across :(

This is the rub, most of the grapes I've seen grown in the UK (including Mums when she had an actual garden) were bloody tiny and occasionally bitter as fuck.

With the long summers of late climate change UK things might have improved...

If we're talking stolen fruit let me assure you cherries and blueberries take that spot...
I used to have a garden with a massive cherry tree. I wondered why all the local Tom cats fought over the garden. Then the cherries were ripe and the tree was a mass of birds and a massive Tom cat attacking them.

I barely got a bowl of cherries each year.

Quick Q; I've put a sprouting head of Garlic in a small glass of water to encourage rooting & when planting out do I separate cloves or bung the whole in the soil?
Tnx experts.

Last edited:
Quick Q; I've put a sprouting head of Garlic in a small glass of water to encourage rooting & when planting out do I separate cloves or bung the whole in the soil?
Tnx experts.
Separate but it's the wrong time of year to be planting garlic, it needs cold to split into a head of multiple cloves. If you're just growing it for the scapes it probably doesn't matter whether you split it or not.

Funny cherry trees should come up. I have been thinking about getting one in a pot. Anyone tried this before? Not to worried if we don't get the fruit off of it.

I think we have black fungus on our roses? DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0135.JPG

Any particular products people would recommend?

I've been picking aphids off them for the last week too but that's pretty normal.

Separate but it's the wrong time of year to be planting garlic, it needs cold to split into a head of multiple cloves. If you're just growing it for the scapes it probably doesn't matter whether you split it or not.
So can you plant it for scapes now? I was too late to plant hard neck so only have soft, but I really like the scapes.

Funny cherry trees should come up. I have been thinking about getting one in a pot. Anyone tried this before? Not to worried if we don't get the fruit off of it.

I had a lovely cherry tree in a pot which was just getting to a really productive state but it was killed by last year's late, harsh frost in May.
So definitely doable :)

Back
Top Bottom