Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

It's not that bad, it's just persistent. Just keep picking and pulling it out.

Bindweed, i have it.
If its so bad why is it so pretty ?:mad::(

Gently pull as much as the root out as you can when pulling up, it can reproduce from tiny amounts left in the soil so treat it carefully rather than howing away at it. Expose as much as possible to wear it down.

Garlic!

IMG-20210608-075255.jpg

Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours repairing the weed damage to the leafy greens bed, it was a state... still is but its now mostly weed free. Hands are sore though. Think slugs and wet fucked most of the crops in there but the cabbage is doing well. The Pak Choi is long bolted though sadly. Carrots are looking ok but still quite small and not quite as badly overgrown with weeds as I was expected.

Have murdered a shit ton of napping slugs to...

My pal choi has been nibbled to bits. I watched a Charles Dowding video where he said to plant it out in August and not bother earlier as it attracts nibblers.

Still waiting for the first peas and broad beans, which I'm sure I've usually had by now, but did manage to get some spinach and spring onions.
Everything's backwards because of that cold earlier in the year. Reckon I'll be getting courgettes and maybe even the first chilli at the same time as first broad beans & peas. First earlies I stuck in right back at the start of March are nowhere near ready yet either.

My pal choi has been nibbled to bits. I watched a Charles Dowding video where he said to plant it out in August and not bother earlier as it attracts nibblers.
Usually only grow pak choi to keep the slugs off everything else but my gardening group sowed so much there's a few heads nearly ready for picking that the slugs have barely touched yet! Mizuna and mustardy things are both bolting now though.

Everything's backwards because of that cold earlier in the year. Reckon I'll be getting courgettes and maybe even the first chilli at the same time as first broad beans & peas. First earlies I stuck in right back at the start of March are nowhere near ready yet either.
True, but some things seem to be more behind than others. Peas and beans are almost there now, so hopefully should have some by the weekend.

Prompted by this thread, I dug up one garlic clove this afternoon as a test. Looks like it's ready for harvesting...

Still waiting for the first peas and broad beans, which I'm sure I've usually had by now, but did manage to get some spinach and spring onions.
Seasons are different for growing veg here , finished the peas, the broad beans, and the broccoli, just about on the last of the courgettes ( thank heavens love the first ones but am running out of recipes and will to eat them) , leeks just about finished, tomatoes and cucumbers in full flow, and getting too hot for lettuces now at 30c plus . One more month and it'll be like the sahara. Grapes are coming on though and the blackberries are coming into life. Start sowing/planting out again mid September/October.

Seasons are different for growing veg here , finished the peas, the broad beans, and the broccoli, just about on the last of the courgettes ( thank heavens love the first ones but am running out of recipes and will to eat them) , leeks just about finished, tomatoes and cucumbers in full flow, and getting too hot for lettuces now at 30c plus . One more month and it'll be like the sahara. Grapes are coming on though and the blackberries are coming into life. Start sowing/planting out again mid September/October.
Show off :p

I've just looked back at posts on this thread from last year and apparently I harvested my first peas and beans on 27 May.

I think it was a bit cold early last year too, but nothing like this year has been.

Only produce I have had is radishes!
Thanks to that bl---dy cold spring, I haven't even got those (yet).

Everything is almost a month late this year, just hope the season extends in September, otherwise I'll get virtually nowt.

However, I have managed some more of the "structural" works backlog as a consequence ...

Back
Top Bottom