Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Gardeners question time..
I have several small (from seed) cup and saucer vines /Cobaea scandens.
They grow amazingly inside the house, full of energy and lush green. Then every single time when i plant one out, the leaves bleach and the whole lovely thing perishes. In pots, in beds all the same sad fate.
I have 3 left, inside, and want to put them out but really don't want them to die.

Googling doesn't help, they want full sun apparently so it can't be that.
What could be causing bleaching of the leaves?

Gardeners question time..
I have several small (from seed) cup and saucer vines /Cobaea scandens.
They grow amazingly inside the house, full of energy and lush green. Then every single time when i plant one out, the leaves bleach and the whole lovely thing perishes. In pots, in beds all the same sad fate.
I have 3 left, inside, and want to put them out but really don't want them to die.

Googling doesn't help, they want full sun apparently so it can't be that.
What could be causing bleaching of the leaves?
I wonder if it's to do with light levels. Inside won't ever give the same amount of light as outside so perhaps they need to be acclimatised to bright daylight? Can you put them outside somewhere that's partially shaded for a while first?

Slug mayhem again, roiling clumps of slug all over the shredded remains of my baby nicotinias, i hate the fuckers.
Just like last year, reading everything but there really don't seem to be any methods that
a) actually work whilst
b) don't endanger the life of your cat.
They don't even like my beer.
:snarl: :(

Slug mayhem again, roiling clumps of slug all over the shredded remains of my baby nicotinias, i hate the fuckers.
Just like last year, reading everything but there really don't seem to be any methods that
a) actually work whilst

I've been on 1/2 hour slug patrol between 8pm - 1am. Picking them out and put them in my food waste outside. We have some copper barrier that goes around the whole plant which I think works a little bit. It's a bit of a war though.

a) actually work whilst
Have you tried oranges cut up in half after juicing them ? Obviously, you have to get up early and collect them in the morning but I had some success with this in my garden in the UK

My current batch of slugs seem to be under the top soil dwellers (those that aren't visiting my OH's office !) Damm things !

In the greenhouse (so limited opportunities for slug predators) I have resorted to environmentally friendly slug pellets, raked into the gravel path. Touch wood, that seems to have worked ...

I've dome something similar when planting out my late spuds (early varieties grown in BIG pots), planted late because of the frosts we had this year. I'll see how well that worked when I do the first soil top-up.

You have to get one two sheds. 1300 and you'll deffo have no cinquefoils left with their lovely little flowers.

If you like cinquefoil you've obviously never had it in your lawn, all over the lawn, through your weed membranes, in all your borders, under the fence, between the patio, or just breaking through the fucking patio stones. They don't even flower that often!!!

a) actually work whilst
Chilli powder and slug pellets help a bit here

Might have to spend a day or two to see if the bulk of my toms have survived transplanting into the ground, suspect I didn't water them enough after putting them in, either that or root shock :facepalm:

If you like cinquefoil you've obviously never had it in your lawn, all over the lawn, through your weed membranes, in all your borders, under the fence, between the patio, or just breaking through the fucking patio stones. They don't even flower that often!!!
It was a running joke between me, two sheds and campanula .
I complained about alkanet, two sheds reply

lovely little blue flowers :)
campanula complained about a weed....

Lovely little white flower :)

;)

I've tentatively decided that the best defence against cinquefoil are geraniums and phlox and japanese anemones and ox-eye daisies because I've got all them taking up the flower beds and they seem to be crowding out the little yellow fuckers :thumbs:

I think that for slugs I'm going to buy some nematodes (natural predator, if very, very tiny).

these came up on guugle

and "temporarily unavailable " grrrrr

I think that for slugs I'm going to buy some nematodes (natural predator, if very, very tiny).

these came up on guugle

and "temporarily unavailable " grrrrr
I use these. Very fast delivery. I'm a regular for weevil nematodes.
Nemaslug Slug Nematodes (Treats 100 sq.m)

I saw a miner bee the other day :cool: It landed on the ground and disappeared into a tiny hole. I went in to get the camera and came out and couldn't find it again :mad:

i got grapes in the conservatory that the squirrels don't bother with. Loads and loads of grapes

each 1cm across :(

Back
Top Bottom