Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The gardening thread

Part of the mint family so probs best in pots .
I'm going to get some for the bees.

It was in a pot. It can’t be contained, it can’t be bargained with it just sits there smelling great and growing for the bees.

There’s another 3 pots in the shared garden where a) I dumped two because they looked dead (they were not) and b) the busybody neighbour upstairs likes grabbing random stuff and growing it, think he nicked some from the green bin...

I didn't realise it was that feral! It can go up against my alkanet that I've been battling for 11years.

Worth noting that lot is in a pot as well, just exploded it and buried its way out from under it.

Overall I’m going to miss outside the flat most when I leave, we’ve done really well in last 5 years to turn a strip of grass in to a minor fruit and herb garden. These are the raspberry bushes that have long since gone feral.

E661D2ED-F2C6-478C-A068-76E10493504B.jpeg

Yes I think I've got lemon balm too and it's somewhat rampant - might well bring some inside if it does repel mosquitoes (although most things that repel mosquitoes in my experience don't actually repel mosquitoes). I think that's the one I thought you could cook the leaf with but you can't :(

Been away for a few days.
Was hoping that mates would have tried cutting the grass - but it rained everyday ...

That weather has made our ground so soft that even an exceptionally sharp motor-mower can rip the grass up rather than actually cut it. (past experience !)

Now it has been warm enough that the cat could hide in the long grass.

Forecast isn't great for tomorrow, and although it is probably dry enough now, I'm knackered from working away and then travelling home ...

Mystery flower conundrum!
Quite a lot of these are happening, they just sprouted up from a slope that i basically haven't touched except to strim it once, like the primroses did earlier. I don't remember these at all from last year though.
Any idea what they are? They look.. pea-ey? Quite large.

Screenshot 2021-05-29 at 07.06.49.png

Mystery flower conundrum!
Quite a lot of these are happening, they just sprouted up from a slope that i basically haven't touched except to strim it once, like the primroses did earlier. I don't remember these at all from last year though.
Any idea what they are? They look.. pea-ey? Quite large.

View attachment 270707
They look a bit like broad bean flowers, but stumped as to how they might have got there...

Volunteer broad beans ! Probably mice

bimble, insects (ie bees love 'em) will pollinate those for you. Pick the pods when the seeds are well developed but don't leave them too long.
[watch the very top of the plant for black fly, if they appear then nip out the top couple of inches of soft, new growth].

If bimble grows better beans by accident than I have in several years of cursing and swearing and fending off ants I will be very angry. :(

Having a weed of my flower borders (not that much is planted out / flowering, yet) and had a mass mowing session, to catch up on the ones that should have been done during the past week.

Air has gone very thick with high humidity & midgies. Now there is a very big cloud making it prematurely dark.

Therefore, I've given up and come indoors ...

Gorgeous garden, Leafster ! What a view as well. And what a lovely display of Welsh yellow poppies. We've got a load of them in our garden too. I love them so much, they just self seed like crazy.

The bees were buzzing all day on the echiums yesterday. They love em.

Attachments

• 20210529_184248.jpg
    20210529_184248.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 11
We are creating a fire pit area. Got the slabs for not much money. Plan is to put stones down which should hopefully get tomorrow.

Managed to raise some fences too for privacy & now I’m blooming knackered as slabs are heavy!

Attachments

• 37D37495-2325-42D5-B6FA-CAEFB58F126E.jpeg
    37D37495-2325-42D5-B6FA-CAEFB58F126E.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom