Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of cash?

I imagine that older folks like my old Mum who have people to get cash out for them is quite common. She does have a bank account and a card, but only has confidence to use real money. I get her cash every couple of weeks and she writes me a cheque. Her contactless card is practically useless because she'd never use it.
I've probably said this before on here, my dad died in 2015 when he was 75, he always used cash - was forced to have his wages paid direct to the bank in the 80s - didn't want them going into the joint account he had (but never used) with Mum, so opened a building society account, and just took the full whack out in cash when he got paid - gave mum a wedge for housekeeping and then spent the rest . He never used a cashpoint (someone had to use it for him) never had a credit card , somehow had a mortgage (mum sorted it all out) . Mum on the other hand uses her contactless with wild abandon - hasn't quite managed to cope with on-line banking - my brother does that for her .

I've probably said this before on here, my dad died in 2015 when he was 75, he always used cash - was forced to have his wages paid direct to the bank in the 80s - didn't want them going into the joint account he had (but never used) with Mum, so opened a building society account, and just took the full whack out in cash when he got paid - gave mum a wedge for housekeeping and then spent the rest . He never used a cashpoint (someone had to use it for him) never had a credit card , somehow had a mortgage (mum sorted it all out) . Mum on the other hand uses her contactless with wild abandon - hasn't quite managed to cope with on-line banking - my brother does that for her .
Yep, I can relate to all of that. Before he was disabled out of labouring, my old man was always paid with cash, so it’s what Mum knew. She has used and can use an ATM, but the first time she ever used one her card was gobbled up. The instructions said to enter the amount in multiples of £5 and she apparently requested to draw out £55555555 😂

My old dad didn't have any card or cash, everything was done/bought for him so he could just lie on the couch reading or watching TV. He lived just a few doors down from me and he would nip into my house and ask me for some money as he fancied a walk to the shop for a pie. On the way back from the shop he would nip back in to my house and give me the change.

My old dad didn't have any card or cash, everything was done/bought for him so he could just lie on the couch reading or watching TV. He lived just a few doors down from me and he would nip into my house and ask me for some money as he fancied a walk to the shop for a pie. On the way back from the shop he would nip back in to my house and give me the change.
I do like this concept - walking to a house, getting money, and going to buy a pie.

On my walk to the railway station from home I pass a cafe which is cash only and a bar which is no cash accepted.

Clearly they're both excluding people. From my point of view - the cafe will cost me more because my debit card pays 1% cash back.

Should they both be forced to accept all types of payment? Bitcoin? Groats? Barter? Cows? Yes, I am being facetious. For which I apologise.

Mrs tag has just taken some cash out at an ATM because she hasn't done so for quite a while and to make a point over cash. She normally relies on me for cash.

Got to Polperro on Saturday. Seems the car park is cash only, and only coins of more than a quid.

Anyway luckily I have the required £7 for 3 hours parking: the Google reviews of the car park are very poor indeed

Got to Polperro on Saturday. Seems the car park is cash only, and only coins of more than a quid.

Anyway luckily I have the required £7 for 3 hours parking: the Google reviews of the car park are very poor indeed
I really wish you could pay in every car park with cash or possibly a card and not with a bloody app.
Moving on, supermarket trolleys still take £1 coins. You could not easily do that by card

Back in the late 70s I worked for furniture shop in Salford unloading and delivering furniture and setting up stuff for the showroom. At the end of the day, they'd send me off to the bank's night safe, on foot through the precinct with these big leather wallets (obviously stuffed with cash and cheques) to put in the night safe. Fortunately, I knew most of the local scallies back then so I came to no harm. But I did worry about anyone I didn't know who looked the slightest bit iffy. I was literally shitting myself every evening I had to do that little errand.

My father used to saunter nonchalantly down Hounslow High Street with a tatty carrier bag with the day's takings in it every day. I always felt fact that he always ended his trip in the Midland Bank at 3.20 was a bit of a give away, but he never got mugged. He loved cash payments.

I really wish you could pay in every car park with cash or possibly a card and not with a bloody app.
Moving on, supermarket trolleys still take £1 coins. You could not easily do that by card

No, but you don't actually need a coin. I have about ten different tokens (freebies from the gym, a pride event, contact lens company, etc).

There are lots of comments saying “couldn’t pay by card so didn’t visit Polperro”

Also seems there is no cash point there. Am glad I checked this before travelling

You can get key fobs shaped like a £1 coin that do the job.

1728980013537.png1728980013537.png

You can get £1 shaped tokens. Could buy a few off Amazon to keep for such occasions. ;)

Back
Top Bottom