Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The end of cash?

On the fake QR code thing. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Knock together some vaguely looking official website, hosted somewhere that takes bitcoin, Stic a load of your codes over the real ones, wifi access, car parks etc. Probably too much CCTV coverage to make it worthwhile I spose.
I bought 2 complete with a clip for a keyring, put one each on mine and Mrs Q's car keys.

Still got the one my mate gave me from when he worked at Clean Easy. (Remember them?) Which sold a variety of non cleaning related oddments.

I'm genuinely mystified how you function in society without some kind of account, unless you work strictly cash in hand.

I think that figure is a bit misleading as well, while not ideal I imagine a number of those that people use a parent or partner's account.

Yes the choice does mean you're obliged to have help from others.

I've known two people who flat out refused to be part of the modern system. Cash only, no phone contract etc.

It wasn't that difficult when they were younger but both ended up relying heavily on friends and family to facilitate their preferences as things changed in the world.

One lived in London and rode a bike, worked as a cash in hand chippy, used an old brick phone that he paid cash for without a contract etc. The other was essentially carried by his friends (lifts in their cars, he'd give them cash in return for them paying by card when necessary).

They both rented rather than owned. They'd give cash to someone who'd make the necessary transfer to the landlord etc.

In both cases I respected their choice and never found it annoying. I didn't exclude them.

My father used to saunter nonchalantly down Hounslow High Street with a tatty carrier bag with the day's takings in it every day. I always felt fact that he always ended his trip in the Midland Bank at 3.20 was a bit of a give away, but he never got mugged. He loved cash payments.

The guv'nor of Brixton Wholefoods would take the cash to the bank at the same time every day, in a military canvas shoulder bag. No one ever bothered him.

Philip Salon used to carry the cash takings from the Mud Club home on the night bus in a carrier bag. Thousands of pounds every week. Only got mugged once.

Reactions: tim
Here in Brixton a fair few in the Afro-Caribbean community use cash as much as possible, including paying utility bills at the bank in cash. There's a general mistrust of the entire system that's very deeply ingrained.

Reactions: tim
There was a problem with people coming into Brixton, buying Brixton pounds and taking them out if the area as souvenirs. The whole point was to keep local cash local, so that worked against it.

It was especially bad with the Bowie tenner.

I think the Tesco / Sainsbury’s etc depend on the area the supermarket is (out of town versus town centre)
yep it was also something which was more of a Ken Era Morrison's thing to do it blanket wise ( no need ot waste money rounding trolleys up ) where for the other big names it was more aobut city centre locatiosn to stop peopel from taking their shopping home in the trolley and just dumping it inthe front graden ( but that is perhaps a student thing , rather than an ASB feral urban type thing)

Does it have an exchange rate to £ sterling? Or is it exchangeable at par? Cannot see the answer in the other thread.
It ended up as 1:1 with £ sterling, although in the early days you could buy a Brixton pound for 90p. The idea was to try to encourage spending within Brixton.

It ended up as 1:1 with £ sterling, although in the early days you could buy a Brixton pound for 90p. The idea was to try to encourage spending within Brixton.

Thanks. And one more question - sorry, but am genuinely interested - what happens to the currency that's traded for the Brixton £? Is it held in a controlled float, possibly earning interest, to underwrite the notes in circulation? A bit like happens with Scottish and N. Ireland notes?

Thanks. And one more question - sorry, but am genuinely interested - what happens to the currency that's traded for the Brixton £? Is it held in a controlled float, possibly earning interest, to underwrite the notes in circulation? A bit like happens with Scottish and N. Ireland notes?
No idea sorry

None of my local supermarkets have coin operated trolleys any more. It would drive me insane if they still did. Surely this isn't still commonplace in this coin free era?

morrisons nearest to me still has the coin thing (they suspended it because covid but brought it back)

don't remember sainsburys nearest to me having it. it may have done when i first moved here, but hasn't for a long time

can't remember what nearest asda does - i don't go there all that often.

Back
Top Bottom