Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Dominic Cummings file

The questions, the prevaricating, the filibustering on the public's questions, the technical problems with the BBC bloke were all part of the grade A shitshow. That's what I mean.
That reflects equally badly on the media as on the government. I'm not saying that buy the governments argument, but I don't think the media really landed many punches. To mix metaphors I'd say overall that the press conference was a no score draw.
But he could’ve done those things without repeatedly saying idiotic stuff like that C’d isolated for 14 days and that any good parent would do the same etc. Not really sure how it could have been done worse tbh apart from if he’d started obviously losing his temper?
How so? The gov. line (which may come undone) was that it was permissible for Cummings to go to Durham to self-isolate in the light of his childcare responsibilities. That's shit and to most people clearly bollocks but there might be just enough there technically. As I said gov strategy seems to be to draw this out, moving the story on from a clear 'breaking the lockdown' angle to lots of long arguments over technical details might work. In light of that strategy I don't think todays press conference was a disaster for the government.

EDIT: I should be clear that I'm only talking about the press conference above. Todays overall news coverage is very bad for the government but I don't think the press conference will particularly hurt them.

Last edited:
mnzZiU5PkPmdbZ0gsVd6jMni2J2lKn4yb4kctzkPM3c.jpg

How so? The gov. line (which may come undone) was that it was permissible for Cummings to go to Durham to self-isolate in the light of his childcare responsibilities. That's shit and to most people clearly bollocks but there might be just enough there technically. As I said gov strategy seems to be to draw this out, moving the story on from a clear 'breaking the lockdown' angle to lots of long arguments over technical details might work. In light of that strategy I don't think todays press conference was a disaster for the government.
At the very least he could have avoided repeating easily disproved lies and total nonsense claims. I can’t imagine anybody who was riled by this before today’s show feeling anything but more so, and that’s got to count as a failure.

I can’t imagine anybody who was riled by this before today’s show feeling anything but more so, and that’s got to count as a failure.
Does it? Not having a shitload of people that don't like you anyway dislike you a little bit more is neither here nor there. The question is how this plays with those that were wavering.

I so fucking hope the Guardian & Mirror are going to serve up more tonight.
View attachment 214434

Oh, I hope you have something good to drop tomorrow Pippa, please say you have

I saw this on the Guardian feed earlier (reposted on the live update feed a few hours after the original footage was taken and posted) -

'Here is a video showing Dominic Cummings leaving his north London home earlier this morning and denying that he had travelled to Durham a second time when he was asked by reporters.'

...(accompanied by the vid, obvs) which immediately looked a bit ' JUST SAYIN :thumbs: '... :hmm:

There was never going to be a knockout in the press questions anyway. It's not an effective arena for it even if the questioners are any good.
Neither is Twitter and we can't exactly take to the streets at the moment. I'm not sure what that leaves. I've signed a petition and made death threats on Facebook. Other than that it's up to the media whether they are able to pursue it.

Most cars can do 400 miles on a tank. So if the Discovery was full at the start they could have driven to Durham without needing to stop for fuel on the way. They would have had to buy fuel before coming back.

If it was full on setting off, you have to wonder at what point it was filled up, and if Cummings had symptoms when he filled it up.

It is usual to make a stop on a long journey (especially with children) and this trip of 260 miles would have taken potentially 5 hours or more, so it does seem more likely than not that they stopped en-route.

Most cars can do 400 miles on a tank. So if the Discovery was full at the start they could have driven to Durham without needing to stop for fuel on the way. They would have had to buy fuel before coming back.

If it was full on setting off, you have to wonder at what point it was filled up, and if Cummings had symptoms when he filled it up.

It is usual to make a stop on a long journey (especially with children) and this trip of 260 miles would have taken potentially 5 hours or more, so it does seem more likely than not that they stopped en-route.

They'll have taken a packed lunch :rolleyes:

Neither is Twitter and we can't exactly take to the streets at the moment. I'm not sure what that leaves. I've signed a petition and made death threats on Facebook. Other than that it's up to the media whether they are able to pursue it.
Oh I imagine they will pursue it, just not there.

Realistically though there is a time limit that they would ever pursue it. I think the media's role is now a bit limited, unless there's more to reveal. It's up to others to make this a running sore, and to the Tories to rip each other apart about it.

'Here is a video showing Dominic Cummings leaving his north London home earlier this morning and denying that he had travelled to Durham a second time when he was asked by reporters.'

...(accompanied by the vid, obvs) which immediately looked a bit ' JUST SAYIN :thumbs: '... :hmm:
I wonder who his phone provider is?

Reactions: LDC
Back
Top Bottom