Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dog thread is better than the cat thread, because it features dogs.

Just come back in from another fruitless attempt at last pee and realise how much my house stinks of fags, now I’ve had the doors shut for two days
The boy sitting on sofa looking all reproachful

Just come back in from another fruitless attempt at last pee and realise how much my house stinks of fags, now I’ve had the doors shut for two days
The boy sitting on sofa looking all reproachful

Are you going to find out where he's been peeing in a couple of days?
(I have a cat with CKD who has got to the "prone to UTI/Cystitis" phase so I understand that, sometimes there is a "oh there's where you've been weeing" moment).

Would he go on puppy pads - or better even, adult incontinence bed pads from the chemist, because they don't have VAT added I don't think.
Might be a solution in the short term, if you could get him to go on a pad near the door then once he is healed coax him back outside for toileting.

Taking Frankie out at 1 am or so just before I feed him and go to bed and 9 am when he can go out and bark without disturbing the neighbours and then come in and I feed him is still working really well.

You probably don't want to know that though :(

Are you going to find out where he's been peeing in a couple of days?
(I have a cat with CKD who has got to the "prone to UTI/Cystitis" phase so I understand that, sometimes there is a "oh there's where you've been weeing" moment).

Would he go on puppy pads - or better even, adult incontinence bed pads from the chemist, because they don't have VAT added I don't think.
Might be a solution in the short term, if you could get him to go on a pad near the door then once he is healed coax him back outside for toileting.
He’s not peeing in the house, just will only very reluctantly pee when on lead. So will come and tell me he wants to go out but then I take him out with his lead on and he doesn’t pee just stands there looking reproachful. Darent let him off in case he sees a rabbit, as he’s meant to be strictly resting his knees. He can go for hours, like more than 12 hours, so it’s ok, he’s managing, just a bit of a tricky time.

Yeah, @saundes , the not toileting on a lead is a things for some dogs.
Sorry, but I've no idea how to help, other than the patience you are already showing.

For our rescued Bella, she just looks at you - and it doesn't matter how long the lead is, or even if you are "ignoring" her, she will not toilet ...
However, in her case she's also terrified of flat leashes [but not rope ones] and leather belts - so we are pretty sure that she's been beaten with a leash / belt for toileting when on the leash. Getting her to toilet in the garden has been harder than expected, although the affect of being on the beach and off lead for the first time was several pees and a download ... in between several warp speed gallops.

Would it work giving him a treat when he's successful? I doubt it would with Frankie even though he's treat driven. I say "plossen" to him as in Dutch for piss just in case I get him used to the english word and it gets used at an inopportune moment.

Been trying to get a video of him trotting, and realise he is very used to walking, or keeping close, on my left side so all the videos are of the wrong side
And he’s now also got dire rear; it’s been a moderately challenging evening

it’s been a moderately challenging evening
Having animals can be like that, my elderly CKD cat currently on his 2nd UTI since the beginning of May, I think I am going to have to incinerate my carpet. And he's not eating very well. Vet bill currently at £800 over the last 2 months 😫
Hope your lad is feeling better soon.

Having animals can be like that, my elderly CKD cat currently on his 2nd UTI since the beginning of May, I think I am going to have to incinerate my carpet. And he's not eating very well. Vet bill currently at £800 over the last 2 months 😫
Hope your lad is feeling better soon.
Really feel for you re the carpet and vet bills, my late old cat had kidney issues poor love
Hope your boy continues comfortable and happy for a good while x

Best of luck for the biopsy!
I think being drugged up must be horribly confusing for them.

Pretty sure drugs are as confusing to them as they are for us.
Indeed! I don't have much first hand experience with dogs, but post-operative cats on opiates for pain relief often seem a bit agitated and fearful, rather than relaxed and sleepy as you'd expect - caring for them in those first few hours back at home (or days if if they have a Fentanyl patch like my Radar did after his bilateral osteotomy) can be a bit of a nightmare trying to keep them calm.

Vet says oh try to keep them from being too active and you're back at home with a wide-eyed frightened drunk creature falling over but still trying to climb up things :(

Last edited:
I hadn’t wanted to update on Mungo’s lame/ not lame-ness as it may have been me catastrophising
He’s been on loxicom for 10 days, is depressed and miserable about not being allowed out, isn’t limping: the vet I saw on Monday, when I went in with ‘let’s just get the x-rays done so we know what we’re looking at and how to proceed’ said she didn’t think, from his recovery and her examination of the parts of him he’d let her manipulate, his even weight-bearing when standing, sitting and trotting, that it was a cruciate injury or worth taking x-rays, and that I should just continue to rest him, and then take him off NSAIDs and watch and then gradually increase exercise over a couple of weeks. I really miss Sprocket on here just now, I would have appreciated his input
But, and also, he’s had a squirgle down his back for a year or more, like when you run your finger down his back his skin/ fur does a twitch, like if he had fleas or a funny spot. And since the limpy day he’s not had that. And also, today, when I let him off lead while doing the unutterably slow walk with old in-law and their slow dog, he briefly cantered and then momentarily favoured his right leg in the same way he’d favoured his left leg last week.
All of this is me worrying that he’s got awful pain than I haven’t been reading properly and it will be the same as my old dog who had seemed fine but had been expressing pain behaviour for months that hadn’t seen the signs of

We have had our dogs for little over a year, and the very few times we’ve travelled with them in a car they’ve didn’t enjoy it at all from the get go, even though every time it was a 30-minute ride. They are just over two and one of them is a rescue, so I reckon they might be associating car journeys by being abandoned by their owners, because pretty much every time they’ve been in a car in their lives it led to them being left with a stranger, even if only for a few days.

We’ve decided we ought to get them used to going on car trips, not least because we would love to take them with us on UK breaks. So next weekend we’re hiring a car and seeing friends in Bristol for the weekend. Any tips for making them as relaxed as possible? Would rather avoid ’doping’ options, though if there is something that is completely safe and doesn’t make them look like they’ve doubled dropped E’s, I might consider it.

Any tips on the car type itself (estate vs hatchback)? And given their small size, should we try to set up their bed high so they can see out of the window, or would they be more chilled at car seat level whereby they don’t see the horizon or people around them?

We have had our dogs for little over a year, and the very few times we’ve travelled with them in a car they’ve didn’t enjoy it at all from the get go, even though every time it was a 30-minute ride. They are just over two and one of them is a rescue, so I reckon they might be associating car journeys by being abandoned by their owners, because pretty much every time they’ve been in a car in their lives it led to them being left with a stranger, even if only for a few days.

We’ve decided we ought to get them used to going on car trips, not least because we would love to take them with us on UK breaks. So next weekend we’re hiring a car and seeing friends in Bristol for the weekend. Any tips for making them as relaxed as possible? Would rather avoid ’doping’ options, though if there is something that is completely safe and doesn’t make them look like they’ve doubled dropped E’s, I might consider it.

Any tips on the car type itself (estate vs hatchback)? And given their small size, should we try to set up their bed high so they can see out of the window, or would they be more chilled at car seat level whereby they don’t see the horizon or people around them?
Have they ever been crated? They might feel more secure in a crate, especially if it’s familiar.

We’ve got a couple of folding soft side crates that we use for camping.

Back
Top Bottom