Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The dog thread is better than the cat thread, because it features dogs.

Mungo’s got into the habit of ‘begging at the table’. I have never been especially keen about feeding dogs from the table but my mother-in-law has always done and will always do so, whatever I say. And I have, as a consequence of this, become less strict myself. The other day me and dog were round at some friends and he was doing the circle of the table, laying his head in laps and looking very hungry and handsome and, while they do all like him, they really weren’t in any way charmed by him and clicked him away. So I know I do need to do some work on this. He has, effectively, trained me to reward him with food, when he sits or looks expectantly at my plate. Not every time, but the fact that it’s sometimes kind of reinforces the behaviour.
This article
looks quite useful. Thanks rubbershoes for your photo of badger and mention of training with varying rewards, that made me find it

I just texted that to him. He said he would but the cat’s got a shit attendance record.

cats are good at 'flexible'

on a serious point, and may well be stating the obvious, but cats protection may be able to assist with either finding kitty's home if s/he is lost, re-homing them if they are homeless / stray / feral. uxbridge road suggests the ealing branch.

of course kitty may have a local home and just like hanging out there and annoying the dog...

If it's only cats he's got to see off, I refer you to my generic 'get a greyhound' recommendation.

If there's any actual guarding or you know, useful stuff to be done, probably not tbh.

Testing whether the radiator works maybe?

View attachment 411276
My old grey really did want to kill any cats he saw (sorry, my old cats, I was learning) dunno if it was his breed or his temperament

My old grey really did want to kill any cats he saw (sorry, my old cats, I was learning) dunno if it was his breed or his temperament
Further to this, dog walker friend i see quite regularly recently lost one of his old rehome greys and said, in all the 25+ years he’s had them, only 2 continued their strong ‘keen’ness into their retired life, once they’d learned what was and wasn’t ok behaviour. I do always feel a bit guilty about my old dog and my old cats and how stressful it must have been for them, and how I didn’t really know what I was doing introducing them to each other.

Further to this, dog walker friend i see quite regularly recently lost one of his old rehome greys and said, in all the 25+ years he’s had them, only 2 continued their strong ‘keen’ness into their retired life, once they’d learned what was and wasn’t ok behaviour. I do always feel a bit guilty about my old dog and my old cats and how stressful it must have been for them, and how I didn’t really know what I was doing introducing them to each other.

If it's any consolation we did absolutely everything we could and our two cats were still terrified of this tiny thing, smaller then they were. When a good smack on puppies nose and it would all have been sorted. Took a few years for them all to work it out. One of the cats and the dog gets very jealous when I'm giving the other one attention. In fact Willow looks pained when I fuss the cat.

Mungo’s got into the habit of ‘begging at the table’. I have never been especially keen about feeding dogs from the table but my mother-in-law has always done and will always do so, whatever I say. And I have, as a consequence of this, become less strict myself. The other day me and dog were round at some friends and he was doing the circle of the table, laying his head in laps and looking very hungry and handsome and, while they do all plike him, they really weren’t in any way charmed by him and clicked him away. So I know I do need to do some work on this. He has, effectively, trained me to reward him with food, when he sits or looks expectantly at my plate. Not every time, but the fact that it’s sometimes kind of reinforces the behaviour.

Dogs are smart about some things. Even if they're not fed from the table, and the leftovers just appear in their bowl later, they know where it's from

If it's any consolation we did absolutely everything we could and our two cats were still terrified of this tiny thing, smaller then they were. When a good smack on puppies nose and it would all have been sorted. Took a few years for them all to work it out. One of the cats and the dog gets very jealous when I'm giving the other one attention. In fact Willow looks pained when I fuss the cat.
Thank you. I really didn’t know what I was doing, introducing them, even though I’d read lots of advice and sighthound rehoming sites.
Had my first dog been mungo, and my only cat been coops I think they might have figured it out more easily but maybe not.
I’m so glad you and willow and cats have found a comfortable enough way to live together, they do always look pretty chill and happy in the photos.

Is your dog afraid of the vacuum cleaner? Punish the vacuum in front of the dog. Hit it and tell it how bad it is. Get really mad at it. Put it in its place. I can't believe this actually works, but it does.
:eek:
Dogs operate on a hierarchy and protection system. If they see the vacuum being loud at you without you responding, they think they have to step in to help. If instead you take charge and scold the vacuum, they think you have it all under control.
(from reddit) so who's going to be the first to put this to the test? :)

The OCD of spaniels is quite astounding. Mice and squirrels. No ball or stick. Just prey

Not just spaniels, Jack Russells too!
I think we have mice in the garage - every time I open the back door Sunny heads straight in there and starts sticking her nose into all the nooks and crannies. I had to go out there in the pouring rain last night to drag her back in.

Back
Top Bottom