Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cranberries are a Top50 band in History

What is vaguely irritating me about this thread this morning is that there has been too much slagging off of the (tedious but inexplicably popular) cranberries and not enough slagging off of the truly vile Boston. Even for dad rock they’re terrible. More Than A Feeling is almost bearable for a minute, if only because of the youthful memories it triggers, but the rest? MOR at its very worst, irredeemably shite.

What is vaguely irritating me about this thread this morning is that there has been too much slagging off of the (tedious but inexplicably popular) cranberries and not enough slagging off of the truly vile Boston. Even for dad rock they’re terrible. More Than A Feeling is almost bearable for a minute, if only because of the youthful memories it triggers, but the rest? MOR at its very worst, irredeemably shite.
I only know that one song by Boston. When we toured there I insisted on playing it twice as we entered the city. To get in the mood, like.
And if you're interested, I played Walk on the Wild Side as we drove into the Bowery, NY.

Were Boston actually from Boston?

I recently discovered America were British. That was a small head explodes moment.

Of course Asia definitely weren't Asian. And they deserve more hatred than the Cranberries and Boston combined.

Boston are another of my 5 favorite bands

If in this forum there is so much hatred for two of my favorite artists, it will surely be because I did something right when I defined my musical tastes

According to Rick Beato Boston's debut album is one of the top 22 rock debut's of all time. I think the only thing that annoys me about these lists of greatests is how anglo centric they are.

I'm starting to have my doubts about Alabama 3 as well. Thinking about it, would've been sort of witty if they were brummies.
But only you know that band, instead Boston is known worldwide for having made one of the great debut albums of all time in Rock music.

Another one:

Explain that
I was having a cheap joke about your choice of words - "legendary" is the word that would be more commonly used for a very influential artist, "mythical" is a word that makes me think of like unicorns and dragons and griffons and that.

According to Rick Beato Boston's debut album is one of the top 22 rock debut's of all time. I think the only thing that annoys me about these lists of greatests is how anglo centric they are.
I know Rock music well in Spanish and hardly any band in our language could sneak into that top, I imagine that in Italian, German and French it will be the same case

I was having a cheap joke about your choice of words - "legendary" is the word that would be more commonly used for a very influential artist, "mythical" is a word that makes me think of like unicorns and dragons and griffons and that.
In Spanish both words have similar meanings

I know Rock music well in Spanish and hardly any band in our language could sneak into that top, I imagine that in Italian, German and French it will be the same case

If I were doing the list I would probably put Arco Iris in there. And Neu! should definitely be in there.

I only know that one song by Boston. When we toured there I insisted on playing it twice as we entered the city. To get in the mood, like.
well, I suppose you had to get more than a feel for the place.

I am so dedicated to this thread I even went and listened to it again just now.

I was wrong.

it’s one minute twelve seconds before it has to come off again.

If I were doing the list I would probably put Arco Iris in there. And Neu! should definitely be in there.
Several German bands would make it. Or three anyway. The ones that explicitly rejected the American colonisation of our subconscious.

And if you're interested, I played Walk on the Wild Side as we drove into the Bowery, NY.
On a similar note I played A View To A Kill as I drove over the Golden Gate Bridge :thumbs:

22? What an odd number. Beato is always interesting to listen to but some of his taste has always been very peculiar.

Back
Top Bottom