Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thatcher is dead

Verge of tears type stuff from the Mail
Everyone hates the peoples prime minister because the BBC is making her look bad.

Thank God for the BBC, I began to murmur to myself. For all its faults, the Corporation knows how to behave on these occasions. It is capable of setting aside its prejudices, and rising above party politics.

But as the evening wore on, and the new day dawned, I began to change my mind. In many of the television and radio news bulletins, it seemed that Margaret Thatcher was on trial, and the case for the prosecution was subtly gathering force.
Ffs. Talk about losing the plot. :facepalm:

Im not surprised the beeb hate her, she got rid of the union for the people who work in tv too...

ie , cameramen , sound recordists and sparks etc

This thread needs to be a sticky - no, have its own forum. We won't want to post to every day, maybe even every week. However when you feel the world's a shitty place, the fuckers are having all the victories, here will sit the antidote. YES, she really is dead. :) Call it our book of condolences.

No do it, then we can fuck it up on a near continuous basis. I will be in line to pour petrol on it and set it on fire. If its made of bronze, should survive a few of these. Then I shall take a plasma cutter to it.

They'd probably have a permanent guard on it or pigeon proof spikes to stop people climbing over her

Left out side Thatchers house amongst the flowers :D
500x.jpg

This thread needs to be a sticky - no, have its own forum. We won't want to post to every day, maybe even every week. However when you feel the world's a shitty place, the fuckers are having all the victories, here will sit the antidote. YES, she really is dead. :) Call it our book of condolences.
Good idea - one thing I noticed while shopping yesterday was that even people who weren't smiling were less subdued. Barring mass medication being dumped in the water supply, there's only one thing which could have done that. :cool:

Bought. This'll be a nice little send off for her. I might have to tune in to listen to the charts for the first time in years this weekend.
A spokesman for the Official Singles Chart told the Mirror today: "If the sales of all three were combined, the song would be in 40th place today, with almost 2,500 sales."

The Facebook group campaigning for Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead to hit the top of the charts now has over 4,000 members
Well, the fucking numbskull Facebook slackers all need to buy a download... Jesus, and people wonder why I hate Facebook?

Its a damning indictment on the way this country treats its elderly that the poor woman was reduced to spending her remaining days slumming it at the Ritz,fucking disgraceful :(

Check this drivel from Dan Hodges, the born-again Tory.

They’re watching us now. Forget the petty definitions about Old Labour or New Labour, Blairite diehard or Miliband revolutionary.
Everyone on the Left is being scrutinised today. Does the compassion we claim to be our driving force extend to the passing of a frail 87-year-old woman?
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...gnity-to-set-aside-our-political-differences/

Like his pal at the Torygraph, Brendan O'Neill, Hodges refers himself as being on the Left. But "Miliband Revolutionary"? Is he having a laugh? It's a good thing his comments thread is closed, otherwise I'd give it to him with both barrels.

Check this drivel from Dan Hodges, the born-again Tory.

Like his pal at the Torygraph, Brendan O'Neill, Hodges refers himself as being on the Left. But "Miliband Revolutionary"? Is he having a laugh? It's a good thing his comments thread is closed, otherwise I'd give it to him with both barrels.
your post is more 'hold me back' than 'i'm going to gun him down like the dog he is'. Imo.

Couldn't think which Thatchshit thread to put this in so why not here. A superb article from Anthony Grayling in the Independent.

"Do we owe the dead respect, even if we disagreed with them profoundly, even if we were harmed by them in some way, even if we think that their influence on their times was largely negative, and their legacy damaging?

Street parties celebrating the death of Baroness Thatcher have been condemned by Tony Blair and others for bad taste. They are certainly unprecedented in Britain at least, and there is an unappealing similarity with television images of people dancing on the fallen statues of dictators in parts of the world where nothing like the institutions and practices of British political life exist. In suggesting a comparison, we do ourselves no favours.

But bad taste and false comparisons aside, the question remains: must we respect the newly dead merely in virtue of their being dead? We might be mindful of the grief of family and friends, but still feel that a judgement about the life and legacy of a prominent individual should be an honest one.

The standard trope is: de mortuis nil nisi bonum – “Of the dead say nothing but good”. Why?

Why should one not speak as one did when the person was alive? The story of a prominent individual’s life cannot be complete without the truth about what people felt at the moment of summing up, whether it is in mourning or rejoicing. Let us say what we think, and be frank about it: death does not confer privileges.

An outburst of pleasure at the departure of someone who was deeply polarising and gave expression to callous attitudes is both perfectly understandable and justifiable. No quantity of apologetics about the good effects on the economy or the military situation in the world will satisfy someone who saw whole communities devastated by unemployment, livelihoods lost and neighbourhoods turned into wastelands: the felt quality of life is the final measure of the effect on individuals, and they have a right to their say.

Respect for the dead is a hangover from a past in which it was believed that the dead might retain some active influence on the living, and that one might re-encounter them either in this life or a putative next life.

Last month the people of China went in their millions to the graves of their ancestors to perform the annual ritual of putting paper money and cakes on them. Honouring the dead is not only a form of remembrance but propitiation. In our more rational age we know that the only thing left of the dead is influence and memory in the minds of the living. It is the influence which is the target of praise or condemnation when summings up are offered.

Future historians will be glad that people have begun to speak frankly of their estimations of major figures when they die. Frank opinions explain far more than the massaged and not infrequently hypocritical views expressed in obsequies.

The democratic value of frank expression of opinions about public figures and public matters should not be hostage to squeamishness or false ideas of respect – let us respect ourselves instead, and say what we truly feel."

"Do we owe the dead respect, even if we disagreed with them profoundly, even if we were harmed by them in some way, even if we think that their influence on their times was largely negative, and their legacy damaging?"

It didn't seem to bother too many observers/commentators when Chavez, Gaddafi, Hussein, Kim Jong-Il, Pinochet, Arafat, etc, etc, bit the dust. I've no doubt we will hear negative comments from some quarters when Mandela dies. Most definitely when Bliar dies.

Couldn't think which Thatchshit thread to put this in so why not here. A superb article from Anthony Grayling in the Independent.

"Do we owe the dead respect, even if we disagreed with them profoundly, even if we were harmed by them in some way, even if we think that their influence on their times was largely negative, and their legacy damaging?

Street parties celebrating the death of Baroness Thatcher have been condemned by Tony Blair and others for bad taste. They are certainly unprecedented in Britain at least, and there is an unappealing similarity with television images of people dancing on the fallen statues of dictators in parts of the world where nothing like the institutions and practices of British political life exist. In suggesting a comparison, we do ourselves no favours.

But bad taste and false comparisons aside, the question remains: must we respect the newly dead merely in virtue of their being dead? We might be mindful of the grief of family and friends, but still feel that a judgement about the life and legacy of a prominent individual should be an honest one.

The standard trope is: de mortuis nil nisi bonum – “Of the dead say nothing but good”. Why?

Why should one not speak as one did when the person was alive? The story of a prominent individual’s life cannot be complete without the truth about what people felt at the moment of summing up, whether it is in mourning or rejoicing. Let us say what we think, and be frank about it: death does not confer privileges.

An outburst of pleasure at the departure of someone who was deeply polarising and gave expression to callous attitudes is both perfectly understandable and justifiable. No quantity of apologetics about the good effects on the economy or the military situation in the world will satisfy someone who saw whole communities devastated by unemployment, livelihoods lost and neighbourhoods turned into wastelands: the felt quality of life is the final measure of the effect on individuals, and they have a right to their say.

Respect for the dead is a hangover from a past in which it was believed that the dead might retain some active influence on the living, and that one might re-encounter them either in this life or a putative next life.

Last month the people of China went in their millions to the graves of their ancestors to perform the annual ritual of putting paper money and cakes on them. Honouring the dead is not only a form of remembrance but propitiation. In our more rational age we know that the only thing left of the dead is influence and memory in the minds of the living. It is the influence which is the target of praise or condemnation when summings up are offered.

Future historians will be glad that people have begun to speak frankly of their estimations of major figures when they die. Frank opinions explain far more than the massaged and not infrequently hypocritical views expressed in obsequies.

The democratic value of frank expression of opinions about public figures and public matters should not be hostage to squeamishness or false ideas of respect – let us respect ourselves instead, and say what we truly feel."
so he's not entirely useless then.

When is Cameron going to cut a hole in his clothes, stop going into work for a week and go outside ringing a bell?

Back
Top Bottom