Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Unabomber is dead

I’ve just texted my daughter to tell her this. She’s obsessed with him for some strange reason. 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, it goes without saying that everything he did was abhorrent, but there is something ghoulishly fascinating about him.

He must have had a very distinctive writing style!
He had some very clear ideas on technology and written about them in letters to his brother. I think the FBI looked at the words he used, his syntax and grammar as well as the overall writings. Not just style of writing, more the totality of everything.

ETA: this might be the case that lead to the development of forensic handwriting analysis as a branch of forensic science.

Last edited:
He's not like most killers, it has to be said. And there's no denying that he was manipulated whilst at university. He was a very intelligent man but his methods definitely damaged his message.
I actually can’t remember which serial killer he is. I’m pretty sure I watched a documentary about him but she makes me watch so many of these things that they all blend in to one. Did he live in the woods? I think he’s the one that wore bigger shoes so the FBI couldn’t trace him from his shoe size though.

Reactions: tim
I actually can’t remember which serial killer he is. I’m pretty sure I watched a documentary about him but she makes me watch so many of these things that they all blend in to one. Did he live in the woods? I think he’s the one that wore bigger shoes so the FBI couldn’t trace him from his shoe size though.
Yes, he was the one in lived in the woods off grid for 20 years.

I get what you mean about them all blending into one after a while.

Wishing injury on someone who is bread is a bit ..

It would have been good if his terrorist career had been nipped in the bud, possibly in an ironic manner.

If he was determined to use explosives to make his point against technology there must have been countless infrastructure targets he could have attacked - instead, he set out to blow people's fingers and faces off, the sadistic fuck

From what I can remember that stuff was a tiny part of what he said and thought, but he definitely had a part that was misanthropic and more critical of what he saw as the completely 'human centred' political stuff and also early identity politics rather than actually 'blaming gays' as such.

In the US there was (is?) a much more dominant current that's deep green / biocentric / wilderness focused than there is here in the UK and Europe, so some of it is much more jarring to us than it might be to some people there, at least that was the case a bit ago.

Fuck off!

He was a murderous, racist, misogynistic, neoMalthusian shit, and you think it is acceptable to compare his crimes with women's struggle for equality.

Fuck you too, I did no such thing.

People were stating that his claims about technology had some validity, and others were condemning his actions. I simply made the point that you can't view the two things in isolation - if society ever accepts his claims they will accept his actions.

Fuck you too, I did no such thing.

People were stating that his claims about technology had some validity, and others were condemning his actions. I simply made the point that you can't view the two things in isolation - if society ever accepts his claims they will accept his actions.
I'm confused. Are you saying that if someone accepts his claims they will accept his actions?

I'm confused. Are you saying that if someone accepts his claims they will accept his actions?

No, I'm saying if a societal consensus develops for his claims, then a similar consensus will arise to forgive the methods used, as in the suffragettes or uMkhonto we Sizwe. Condemning his methods or supporting his claims in isolation doesn't really work. He's not bad because he bombed people, he's bad because the reason he bombed people was wrong.

No, it’s definitely the methods I have most problem with.

But if the reason was ok (votes for women, anti-apartheid etc) the methods would be fine. So it's entirely the justification for the methods that is the problem.

Someone shoots and kills someone with a gun. Whether you have a problem with that depends entirely on the reason for the shooting.

But if the reason was ok (votes for women, anti-apartheid etc) the methods would be fine. So it's entirely the justification for the methods that is the problem.

Someone shoots and kills someone with a gun. Whether you have a problem with that depends entirely on the reason for the shooting.
No, you are mistaken. If you send letter bombs that the secretary or intern or graduate student is going to open, or which might go off in transit in the postal system, you can have the motives of the angels but you are in the wrong.

An extreme example: I do not approve of the use of atomic bombs on Hiroshima or Nagasaki, despite my opposing the fascist Axis alliance.

Back
Top Bottom