Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tesla road hate

Most people in expensive cars aren’t buying them outright they’re leasing or doing PCP. The two people I know with a Tesla got them as company cars.

I wouldn’t buy a car outright now and haven’t for 14 years.
How much though are you spending on your cars. Me I tend to spend less than 3k.

I can't imagine having to be too precious about a car. Mine has scratches on every corner courtesy of my Ex's parking habits, and a big dent in the hatchback courtesy of mine.

I remember an experiment I did in Catalonia where I walked about town and tried to find a car without a dent, it took a while to find one, wheras I did the same experiment in Dortmund and none had dents. I guess the Germans are more car proud than the Catalans. The difference was stark.

I’d guess in Catalonia small dings don’t have much of an effect on resale price, either.

I’d guess in Catalonia small dings don’t have much of an effect on resale price, either.
I don't know about that but it seems to me that in Catalonia a car is a mode of transport and in Dortmund it is a status symbol.

the car for when the estate agent gets to manage a team of estate agents.

nothing wrong with that. but they are a sort of showy mediocre thing now. was a bit interested in them when they first started to appear have to admit.

Silent cars on motorways would be great, especially for people who live near motorways!

Above about 30mph tyre noise overtakes engine noise, even with petrol engines; unless you're driving a lamborghini or one of those focus RS things designed to sound as hateful as possible even at housing estate speeds.

Ran into some uni manager type who owned one reckoned it paid for itself as he went to London 3 times a week from Brighton

Turns out Tesla hate and rolling coal is a big thing in USA. There are many vids etc. On line if interested, like this

It’s not just EVs. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of diesel SUVs ‘dust cropping’ cyclists for the lulz. The cunts.

I don’t understand how they do it though. I’ve seen videos in which the car suddenly releases such insanely thick cloud of smoke, it looks like a tank releasing smoke bombs.

I know a Tesla owner.

Told me that he regularly has to pay for software updates.
Broke down recently because apparently the wiring is made of soy so a load of field mice ate his wiring.

I was never buying one but since speaking to him I’m never ever ever buying one.

I know a Tesla owner.

Told me that he regularly has to pay for software updates.
Broke down recently because apparently the wiring is made of soy so a load of field mice ate his wiring.

I was never buying one but since speaking to him I’m never ever ever buying one.
That’s pretty shite, but the software update shenanigans is by no means limited to Tesla. IIRC, it was either Bahnhof Strasse or Spymaster who mentioned a while ago that their petrol BMW (or one belonging to their spouses, perhaps) refused to start up one morning until the latest software had been installed.

That’s pretty shite, but the software update shenanigans is by no means limited to Tesla. IIRC, it was either Bahnhof Strasse or Spymaster who mentioned a while ago that their petrol BMW (or one belonging to their spouses, perhaps) refused to start up one morning until the latest software had been installed.

BMW OTA updates usually arrive overnight (for us anyway) but you can choose when to install them. There are no circumstances where you can't operate the car due to a pending update.

I have a feeling the budget Tesla comes in at £48k which makes me frankly bemused that anyone could spend so much on a car. You could buy a few houses in the valleys for that.

I’m guessing plenty of people have them on the company books as lease jobs.

All my “self made” small businessmen smug wanker friends drive them

500 quid a month set off against tax or bought with capita allowance in mind

Caveat. Not an accountant

Not me. If I had a car that did that I'd get rid of it. I've never had an issue with an update.

Last edited:
It’s not just EVs. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of diesel SUVs ‘dust cropping’ cyclists for the lulz. The cunts.

I don’t understand how they do it though. I’ve seen videos in which the car suddenly releases such insanely thick cloud of smoke, it looks like a tank releasing smoke bombs.
It's amazing what's on Wikipedia.
"Rolling coal is the practice of modifying a diesel engine to emit large amounts of black or grey sooty exhaust fumes—diesel fuel that has not undergone complete combustion.

Rolling coal is sometimes used as a form of anti-environmentalism.[1] Such modifications may include the intentional removal of the particulate filter.[2] Practitioners often additionally modify their vehicles by installing smoke switches, large exhausts,[3] and smoke stacks. Modifications to a vehicle to enable rolling coal may cost from US$200 to US$5,000.[4][5]"

'Tis also illegal in a lot of cases

Modifying or by passing emission controls

Not like it'll be enforced mind, but, yunno, in theory

There are no regular technical or emissions inspections in quite a few US states.

We don't have any equivalent of an MoT in Western Australia and life somehow goes on.
I believe in USA a vehicle has to be roadworthy. We do have emission tests in UK as part of MOT and also checks for diesel particulates filters I believe.

We don't have any equivalent of an MoT in Western Australia and life somehow goes on.
You have barely a person per square kilometre in an area more than ten times the size of the UK. There's a lot of stuff needs planning better when people are living on top of each other.

Back
Top Bottom