Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Terrorist attacks and beheadings in France

Gratuitous means unnecessary and it's been demonstrated amply on here that the lesson could have been provided without their use.
Gratuitous means a whole lot more than unnecessary, and you know that damn well. I'll not mention it again if you don't defend it again.

You'd be better off owning it, you know, Spy. You were not careful not to come across as criticising the murdered teacher, and you have at various points come across as doing exactly that. Using the word 'gratuitous' is strong criticism as well - you clearly suggest that he did something wrong. Within this context, that is victim-blaming. That is 'skirt too short'.

You're right that it's not exactly perfectly neutral, but I think you're confusing "blaming" and "criticising".

And yet if we're merely critical of the dress style of a rape victim, people are up in arms.
Right double standards round these parts, eh?

You're right that it's not exactly perfectly neutral, but I think you're confusing "blaming" and "criticising".
It's certainly critical and with hindsight, having seen the heat this has generated, I'd have expressed it differently, but anyone who reads that as blaming Paty for his murder is a fucking moron.

You'd be better off owning it, you know, Spy. You were not careful not to come across as criticising the murdered teacher, and you have at various points come across as doing exactly that. Within this context, that is victim-blaming. That is 'skirt too short'.
Absolute bollocks.

It's certainly critical and with hindsight, having seen the heat this has generated, I'd have expressed it differently, but anyone who reads that as blaming Paty for his murder is a fucking moron.

Obviously the murderer was entirely to blame for his actions, but it would be remiss not to at least mention the shortness of the skirt...

And yet if we're merely critical of the dress style of a rape victim, people are up in arms.
Right double standards round these parts, eh?
No, it's a poor analogy, because the teacher is being criticized for actions which (it is claimed) risked harm other than to his own safety.

Gratuitous means unnecessary and it's been demonstrated amply on here that the lesson could have been provided without their use.
If we allow religion to dictate this, what next? How do we appease those who would get equally offended if pupils were being told that it is OK to be in a gay relationship? Is it OK to offend those who firmly believe the world was created in a week? Which religions are we allowed to ctiticise?

And that does include my disappointment at what looks like relativism to me.
I may have missed it (I've not read the whole thread) but I'm not seeing any relativism regarding the murder of the teacher. Surely it's possible to accept that as nothing other than wholly wrong, barbaric etc and yet also discuss the desirability and practicalities of minimising the risks of further bloodshed over the issue of the satirical cartoons and their place in the curriculum.

If I were currently teaching that subject in a French public school I'd be looking for some robust guidance from the state that wants it taught tbh

If we allow religion to dictate this, what next? How do we appease those who would get equally offended if pupils were being told that it is OK to be in a gay relationship? Is it OK to offend those who firmly believe the world was created in a week? Which religions are we allowed to ctiticise?
exactly. Maybe if that teacher in Birmingham (the 'no outsiders' demonstrations by parents who didnt want their kids being told it was ok to be gay etc) had been decapitated we'd be wringing hands about that too. Thread is weird.

'We' are allowed to criticise any religions 'we' like...and, of course, take the potential consequences of doing so; that's free speech. There is a difference when considering the position of those professionally engaged by the state to educate its values to children.

Back
Top Bottom