Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Terrorist attack NZ, 50 dead, many injured

That man is incredible. He drew the gunman away from the mosque, only caring for the lives of others not himself. He was even a great shot with a gun that had run out of ammunition. I can find no words great enough to describe his actions.

And now the poor bastard can’t even sleep for seeing dead bodies. :(

Heroic.

Abdul Aziz is amazing. That's probably what we'd all like to imagine we'd do in that sort of situation but to actually do it takes huge amounts of courage and clear thinking.

...and with his own children crying at the entrance to the mosque and begging him to return, too - then still drawing the attention of the scumbag back to himself - just SO brave, likewise with the woman who ran towards him.

From before the shooting (2017). No need for hate crime offence in New Zealand, Justice Minister Amy Adams says

No need for a hate crime offence to be introduced in NZ. Move along. A "very low level" of this sort of thing according to the Minister.

Probably important to note that Amy Adams and National are now in opposition and had been stoking the UN Migration Compact fire veve publicly at the end of 2018, including the National MP for Christchurch declaring it would mean effective Open Borders.

This shit is all over them, and it stinks.

Irish radio has just said that the perpetrator has dismissed his lawyer and will represent himself.

My guess: he will try to turn the trial into a propaganda opportunity. Will the authorities let him?

Some will be fan boys and girls, many younger people with prurient interest. NZ is already prosecuting one teen for sharing the vid.

It wont have been beyond the ken of the terrorist that his video will make an excellent training tool for working up jihadis.

Unsurprisingly the biggest story on this today is NZ looking to tighten their gun laws. Strange that some here didn’t want to discuss this last week. It’s quite a rapid response but it’ll be interesting to see how much opposition the government faces. BBC suggesting it’ll come from the gun lobby (clearly) and a strong hunting culture but most of the world manages hunting without semi-automatic guns.

Unsurprisingly the biggest story on this today is NZ looking to tighten their gun laws. Strange that some here didn’t want to discuss this last week. It’s quite a rapid response but it’ll be interesting to see how much opposition the government faces. BBC suggesting it’ll come from the gun lobby (clearly) and a strong hunting culture but most of the world manages hunting without semi-automatic guns.

Suspect it'll go through without too much resistance. While NZ does have a strong hunting culture it doesn't have a gun lobby with the same power as the NRA, and the culture is quite different to the US generally around weapons.

As has been said though, easy quick media friendly answer, not really a solution in and of itself.

Suspect it'll go through without too much resistance. While NZ does have a strong hunting culture it doesn't have a gun lobby with the same power as the NRA, and the culture is quite different to the US generally around weapons.
Whilst the NZ NRA isn't as powerful as the US NRA (who is?) it's still significant and has scotched change in the past. Unfortunately, as we saw here and in Australia, it takes events like this to shake people awake.
As has been said though, easy quick media friendly answer, not really a solution in and of itself
It's not the only solution but it's part of it. The UK is an obvious example. I think many would agree that our firearms laws are overly restrictive but there have been no mass shootings here since the laws were changed to outlaw handguns and make other firearms extremely difficult to own legally.

I've done a bit of hunting and known loads of hunters and never had I seen a semi in their cabinets. This must be a new trend for firing blindly into the NZ bush and shooting your mate.

Derrick Bird?
Good shout. Forgot about him. He used a shotgun as well as a rifle. I can't find whether or not the rifle was held legally. Wikipedia says he was a FAC holder but nothing about the guns. At least he had the decency to kill himself too. We also considered further legislation after these shootings but it's difficult to see how much further we could reasonably go.

Good shout. Forgot about him. He used a shotgun as well as a rifle. I can't find whether or not the rifle was held legally. Wikipedia says he was a FAC holder but nothing about the guns. At least he had the decency to kill himself too. We also considered further legislation after these shootings but it's difficult to see how much further we could reasonably go.

Used a shotgun and bolt action .22 rifle according to Wikipedia, both of which are still possible to have legally in the UK.

Unfortunately, I suspect part of the reason they decided not to have a minute's silence was the fear that some would disrespect it - it only takes a handful of arseholes (which every club has); sometimes they get round that by having a minute's applause, but that'd hardly be appropriate in this case.

Unfortunately, I suspect part of the reason they decided not to have a minute's silence was the fear that some would disrespect it - it only takes a handful of arseholes (which every club has); sometimes they get round that by having a minute's applause, but that'd hardly be appropriate in this case.
Yes, it's highly unlikely that this wasn't discussed by the league and FA but it's going to be rather difficult for them to explain that reasoning.

Good way to spot arseholes they presumably wouldn't want near their ground anyway.

Back
Top Bottom