Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me about Manchester - Prestwich, Chorlton...

I started a similar thread to this back in 2012 but asking after advice on Levenshulme. i think it was there that I saw someone remark that it was an area that had been the 'next big thing' since the 1980s without ever actaully taking off. I like it there though. Was a bit rough around the edges and the high street was a bit scruffy but I never felt particularly unsafe walking home from Burnage or Withington late-ish at night. Plus the 192 is always entertaining - my first experience of Manchester was the 192 through Ardwick, Longsight then into Lenvenshulme to pick up the keys. Was a bit of an eye-opener.

We still ended up moving to the Disdbury/Withington borderlands though.
Ever since I started coming to Manchester a good 13 years ago Levy seemed to me to be a place that was neither too rough nor too posh, and to an extent it still is. The 192 is definitely the stuff of legend.

I had a very nice breakfast in levenshulme not long ago - if it isn't 'on the way up' I don't know what is.
Trove?

edit: bugger me sideways, I live in Levy 4years ago. That place has probably closed now. I know POD did/.

Longsight once had its own vegetarian cafe - Misty's - but that closed down a few years ago sadly.

So to these eyes, if you're in the market for a three bed house, then Prestwich offers up a bunch of semis in places like Rectory Lane, and to me that is classic and historical M/C. Because that's what we're looking at, that's what Prestwich is like to us to some extent, so I suspect we're talking at cross purposes as far as housing stock goes (or have differing ideas of class definitions tbf)

Funnily enough if you try the same in Chorlton then it's all smaller terraced housing that I would guess - but don't know - would in the longer term have been more W/C oriented. Perhaps not. And in this bit of the market at least, Prestwich is generally much cheaper than Chorlton and Didsbury. Post-tram, on the evidence we've seen, Chorlton is actually a little more expensive than Didsbury now too.

I'm not buying a house yet, but from that perspective, one thing I can tell you: you say you're historically on the losing side but I'm not so sure. Manchester's always been a revolving carousel of redevelopment of whatever variety. And, I would think, at some point the wheels have to come off the current national inflation of housing, and when it does, a lot of this movement is going to go into retreat, possibly making 'where is the next Chorlton' the least of anyone's worries. Who knows. That's one of the things I think about: not just what new pleasures are going to appear, but where do I want to be when the music stops and all that 'next big thing' hyperbole evaporates.

Me, all I want is a Cuckoo or two, not another Didsbury :)

We lived in the mansion block at the top of Rectory Lane for a year or so - grand facade, shabby interior, maybe half of the tenants were DSS - our rent was only slightly more than our preceding council flat in Hulme. Appearances can be deceiving round here. Crumpsall even more so. I agree, you see what you are part of - confirmation bias. I walk up Rectory Lane most days, but the people I know are in the housing association flats by St Mary's school or coming out of the Red Lion, so that's who & what I see. To be clear, I'm not attempting to describe my neighbourhood in a certain way because it's vitally important that strangers on the internet think i live in a w/c street, but because I'm trying to be accurate - & honest to a possible newcomer. It's not all sweetness & light balsamic dressing round here just because some of the avenues are leafy. But anecdotally, there's less mither, & statistically, much fewer burglaries, than Chorlton. (london centric spellcheck keeps changing that to Charlton)

Aye, I looked into that.

I got burgled twice in a year living in Withington. GMP - who turned up en masse pretty much immediately to be fair - told me that if I didn't like being burgled, I should move!

At one time when my friends moved to Longsight (just behind Crowcroft Park) they were burgled twice in as many months.

I never got burgled in Longsight. Windows put in though and when the police arrived they were more interested in looking through my bookshelves and pointing out that the broken bottles in concrete that adorned the tips of our backyard walks was illegal than anything else.

That was a shit house though. No heating. So damp that all the sockets on one side of the house sparked intermittently. Several houses on the street got torched in the time we were there too :(

Moved to Moss Side after that. Burgled six times in a year. Ended up putting a chest of drawers behind the front door every night :( preferred it to Longsight though.

I think I remember someone telling Mark E Smith and Guy Garvey drink in there.

I'm not sure that's a selling point :hmm::D

I'm in Old Trafford currently after 20 years in Timperley. Tram 5 minutes away, Chorlton and town 20 minutes walk. Tesco, Aldi, Asda, Morrisons and even Booths within easy reach. Hullard and Seymour Park for a bit of greenery and not that far to Chorlton Water Park or the canals. If you want to walk out of your front door onto a bustling high street of independent businesses it's maybe not all that but it's friendly and a very settled area, mostly Asian families. Not sure what renting's like but I see very few houses for sale.

I'm going to look at houses tomorrow - got one in particular in mind and hoping it doesn't get snatched up before I get there - wish me luck! :eek:

Prestwich and Chorlton still, primarily the former, but there ain't much about and we're running out of time.

I started a similar thread to this back in 2012 but asking after advice on Levenshulme. i think it was there that I saw someone remark that it was an area that had been the 'next big thing' since the 1980s without ever actaully taking off. I like it there though. Was a bit rough around the edges and the high street was a bit scruffy but I never felt particularly unsafe walking home from Burnage or Withington late-ish at night. Plus the 192 is always entertaining - my first experience of Manchester was the 192 through Ardwick, Longsight then into Lenvenshulme to pick up the keys. Was a bit of an eye-opener.

We still ended up moving to the Disdbury/Withington borderlands though.

I don't know whether it is because Im female but I found the opposite with living in levenshulme. It was the only place I have ever lived that it felt unsafe walking around at night. You get guys in cars or walking around stopping and trying to pick you up in a really horrible predatory way. Lots of female friends have had the same thing. It would happen nearly everytime you left the house alone it was horrible and a big reason why I moved. Never really had it anywhere else, perhaps on the odd occasion but certainly not with such an alarming regularity.

I live in Hulme at the moment and I love it. Its really quiet where I am and I can walk to the centre of town in 20 minutes so it is pretty much perfect for me at the moment.

There's a lot going on too, we swim a lot and go to local events at the Zion centre. We have found a proper sense of community around where we live and its made us feel really settled and at home in a way we never had in other parts of Manchester. There's a few local shops for cheap fruit and veg and a good health food store and a few cafes that are all locally owned which is cool. The teatime collective is our favourite at the moment. :)

Transport is an issue for me as I don't drive and don't have a massive income so I needed somewhere easy for town we looked at chorlton but all the transport stops at about midnight so we settled on Hulme instead. Its worked out great and we in walking distance of chorlton too for shops and cafes.

Would have liked to have lived in chorlton tho, it is a nice spot.

Hope you find somewhere that suits you. Good luck with the hunting. :)

What a shambles.

Went to view a few, but the one we liked was the best. Unfortunately someone else turned up and viewed it at the same time - awks, as they say - and then we both applied at the same time. Now the landlord gets to choose.

I hate renting in Britain.

About six weeks in now, living in Prestwich, and having a thoroughly decent time :)

fdc did you find somewhere?

Patteran thanks again for your advice, all proving to be on the money. Shout if you fancy a pint and a rant about Bury South sometime.

About six weeks in now, living in Prestwich, and having a thoroughly decent time :)

Patteran thanks again for your advice, all proving to be on the money. Shout if you fancy a pint and a rant about Bury South sometime.

Glad you're settling in. Which side have you ended up on? Off the pop currently, but always up for a brew, usually with a toddler in tow.

Glad you're settling in. Which side have you ended up on? Off the pop currently, but always up for a brew, usually with a toddler in tow.
About five mins walk from Heaton Park, Rectory Lane way. To go back to what we were talking about before, round here it's a strong mix of what I would call working & middle class - from trades to IT consultants. The common theme is that everyone's friendly and seems to give a toss about their area - there's 80-something year old folk out regularly trimming their hedges etc. We've got good neighbours and our landlord isn't a dick so it's good times :cool:

We have a new trendy wine bar that you've probably noticed. It's actually good. All in all though I'm glad it's exactly what it is - one of the many reasons why we chose it over Chorlton.

About five mins walk from Heaton Park, Rectory Lane way. To go back to what we were talking about before, round here it's a strong mix of what I would call working & middle class - from trades to IT consultants. The common theme is that everyone's friendly and seems to give a toss about their area - there's 80-something year old folk out regularly trimming their hedges etc. We've got good neighbours and our landlord isn't a dick so it's good times :cool:

We have a new trendy wine bar that you've probably noticed. It's actually good. All in all though I'm glad it's exactly what it is - one of the many reasons why we chose it over Chorlton.

We must be neighbours - we're off the top end of Whittaker Lane, behind St Hilda's/The Royal Oak. If you like Grain & Grape, try All the Shapes.

We must be neighbours - we're off the top end of Whittaker Lane, behind St Hilda's/The Royal Oak. If you like Grain & Grape, try All the Shapes.
Aye, popped in to ATS once, good food. Not had enough free time to go trying out everywhere yet. Yeah you're about two mins walk up the road.

Hey, no - well, yes, but not in Prestwich. Ended up somewhere completely different entirely, well outside Manchester. Not really my choice, and settling in for the long-game at the moment...

Might possibly move to manchester second half of this year, from hackney. Prestwich and Whalley Range sound about right to live. Pretty much totally clueless about manchester though... I imagine within these areas there is a lot of variation... and prob loads of other bits that are just as good. Got to find a primary school too.

Mrs B lives in Whalley Range, would recommend - a short distance to the city centre, but quiet and plenty of green space, and a short walk from the fleshpots of Chorlton.

Give us a shout if it works out...

I ended up buying a house in Prestwich, the third house we've lived in on the same street. Theoretically staying put here for a long time. Really like the place, would recommend checking it out on a weekend.

Most people at work are in Chorlton. It's not quite my cup of tea but I can see it has its merits.

Shout if you want any info or a tour.

Juuust while i am still idley daydreaming though:
– are both of those places ok for cycling to say the centre? They look less a far than i currently cycle to work, but there look to be some big ring roads.
– i presume they are both pretty good for public transport, but how late do those trams run?
- any recent experience of schools in either area (primary and secondary)?

Back
Top Bottom