Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fantastic photos of Manchester in the 1960s

There used to be marketing boards for different foods. I remember adverts for 'cream cakes' paid for by the milk marketing board when I was a kid. The egg marketing board paid for the famous Tony Hancock 'go to work on an egg' adverts. I'd imagine the advert in the third photo 'use your loaf - have some fried bread with your bacon' was a joint venture by piggeries and bakeries.

1611412320497.png

1611412652317.png

Nice photos of Stockport Market in 1977.
2400.jpg
Clog shop, YES :D

Last edited:
When I was a patron of indie/punk/goth clubs in Leeds in the late 80s/90s, New Model Army fans used to get the train to Hebden Bridge to buy clogs before coming back to Le Phonographique, which was open on Saturday afternoons, to show off their new purchases. I think they were called Walkys

The only times I’ve seen clogs were on the feet of aforesaid NMA fans, but also in some kitchens (the more hierarchical brigade type kitchens where all the chefs have different hats and buttons n that) - they’re actually quite practical for kitchen work

When I was a patron of indie/punk/goth clubs in Leeds in the late 80s/90s, New Model Army fans used to get the train to Hebden Bridge to buy clogs before coming back to Le Phonographique, which was open on Saturday afternoons, to show off their new purchases. I think they were called Walkys
The name of that club rings a bell - I lived in Leeds from around 91 to 95. Don't know if I ever went to it.

Did this ever get posted here?
Brilliant thread, particularly these which are my era. I started going in to the town centre from about 1974, going to music and record shops, then as a student from 1979 onwards. It's funny how photographs and memory have a different 'feel'. The ones in the OP are down as 1960s, but feel like very early 60s, even late 50s. The cars and shopfronts in these ^ all feel more dated than my minds eye of the period. Maybe it's something about the film used that makes the photography feel 'older', but more likely it's something about memory.

Back
Top Bottom