Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fantastic photos of Manchester in the 1960s

A health and safety nightmare.

400px-%E4%B8%80%E6%9C%AC%E6%AD%AF%E4%B8%8B%E9%A7%84_%2817305606464%29.jpg

strenghthen your ankles like the wind does a stem

I like the muriel of Alvin Stardust on the side of a house. :)
Yeah, it was great. I was brought up in Heywood and used to pass it every couple of days. I remember being quite shocked as a kid that the 'pop culture' I liked was getting 'official' recognition like that. Must have been some progressive thinking in Heywood Council's Recreation Department (or, nerd point, perhaps Rochdale's. Heywood became part of Rochdale in a local government reorganisation in 1974).

Yeah, it was great. I was brought up in Heywood and used to pass it every couple of days. I remember being quite shocked as a kid that the 'pop culture' I liked was getting 'official' recognition like that. Must have been some progressive thinking in Heywood Council's Recreation Department (or, nerd point, perhaps Rochdale's. Heywood became part of Rochdale in a local government reorganisation in 1974).
says here it was really supposed to be elvis, but needs must when beggars can't be choosers...
+ more murals!
Through the Magpie Eye: Murals from the ’70s – Oi Polloi

The local rag has an article about which streets used to have cars - this is Market Street in 1953. Shame the Arndale was built as the buildings look OK. The street looks quite a bit steeper than it is now which is weird.

0_M10075JPG.jpg

The area occupied by today’s Arndale was called the shambles. I believe it was beautiful. Maybe not York shambles standard but preferable to today’s eyesore.

I wonder when all those kind of primative-looking shops got swept away. The 80s feels like yesterday, sometimes, I just didn't notice it happening.

I wonder when all those kind of primative-looking shops got swept away. The 80s feels like yesterday, sometimes, I just didn't notice it happening.
Some might have survived - on Oldham Road in Failsworth and up towards Oldham there are some old shop fronts still around, with weird shops in them that never seem to be open. But I guess many have long gone.

Cheers for posting that. That was exactly the period I started going to Old Trafford, the period just before punk and I'm amazed at the memories that threw up. :)
Yep, took me right back. When young people could afford to go with their mates, and you could just show up and queue. Or sit on the railway bridge if you couldn't get in the Stretford.

Back
Top Bottom