Majority19,63442.6
Increase
Turnout46,05664.3
Decrease
Conservative holdSwing
Increase

Not his first rodeo.
He's got form..

On 5 November 2017, Pincher resigned as Assistant Whip and voluntarily referred himself to the Conservative Party's complaints procedure and the police, after former Olympic rower and Conservative candidate Alex Story alleged that Pincher, nine years before he was an MP, had made an unwanted pass at him.

Wonder what he did. Something pretty bad presumably for a Tory MP with a 20k majority to resign from this utterly shameless government. :hmm:

Eta Ah so not resigned resigned but the pretty bad thing still holds I reckon.

Not even going to lose the whip apparently.

Letter talks of getting pissed & embarrassing himself but no mention of sexual assault...so all is well in toryland...he's "done the honourable thing".

FFS
Well he wouldn't say that, would he? (Not that I'm accusing him of anything obvs. :hmm:)

As already posted, this is a very misleadingly-titled thread -- implication being that Pincher resigned as an MP, which he clearly hasn't.

He resigned only from the Government.

</disappointed at lack of by-election! :( >

Yeah, but the context is not really relevant, is it? Sexual assault is sexual assault.
On one level you're absolutely correct.

But context might be relevant when it comes to investigating and proving a possible sexual assault, for example if none of the witnesses are prepared to go on the record.

The Tories will obviously be keen to avoid another byelection in such circumstances, so I'm sure the pressure to keep quiet will have been applied immediately.

As far as I can see, none of the witnesses to the assault are named in the reporting.

Remains to be seen whether they can keep enough of a lid on it to avoid, eg a criminal prosecution.

Last edited:
interesting how this is being framed -
"drunkenly groped two men" - it kind of suggests he was falling about pinching a couple of bottoms - "silly mistake - very sorry - what a fool" with the alcohol acting as an excuse - cos we have all done stupid things when pissed haven't we?- like falling over, getting into a shouty argument, sexually assaulting several people etc.
It may well be the reality is more serious - and the fucker has form for being a rapey sleeze bag in the weinstein mode.
Interesting that he came straight out and resigned - suggests he was deliberately taking control of the narrative - very likely with advice from the tory pr machine.
There is already pressure for him to loose the whip and if there are criminal charges the pressure for him to resign his seat may become irresistible.

There won't be a by-election- he hasn't even lost the whip.

Wouldn't even surprise me if this is some desperate cloud of political octopus ink to obscure the "BJ gets a BJ in the office" story.

Does the recall petition thing get triggered by this? :hmm:
Sadly no, as in the UK recall petitions are triggered by consequences, not the events

Conditions to trigger recall​

MPs can be recalled under three circumstances:

• Conviction in the UK of any offence and sentenced or ordered to be imprisoned or detained, after all appeals have been exhausted. Note – a sentence over 12 months in jail automatically disqualifies someone from being an MP;
  • Suspension from the House following report and recommended sanction from the Committee on Standards for a specified period (at least 10 sitting days, or at least 14 days if sitting days are not specified);
  • Convicted of an offence under section 10 of the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009 (making false or misleading Parliamentary allowances claims). Note – the sentence does not have to be custodial for this condition.

there might be if pc plod gets involved. Its definitely a reasonable possibility. and i suspect he will lose the whip within the next 24 hours

It's done.

A spokesperson for Chief Whip said: "Having heard that a formal complaint has been made to the ICGS, the PM has agreed with the Chief Whip that the whip should be suspended from Chris Pincher while the investigation is ongoing."

Calls had been growing from Tory MPs for Pincher to lose the whip after The Sun reported that the former deputy chief whip had groped two men at central London's Carlton Club.

The newspaper also reported that several Conservative MPs had complained to the whips' office about his behaviour.

I don't really give a shit whether he stays, goes or gets rendered down into soap. I only want BoZo's life to be made more difficult, sadly I suspect this won't really touch him

Miranda Bryant
Sat 2 Jul 2022 15.56 BST

Chris Pincher has said he is seeking professional help following claims that he drunkenly groped two men.
The former deputy chief whip, who resigned following the allegations, said he respected the prime minister’s decision to suspend the whip and would “cooperate fully” with an inquiry into his behaviour.

In a statement, the Tamworth MP said: “I respect the prime minister’s decision to suspend the whip whilst an inquiry is under way, and I will cooperate fully with it. As I told the prime minister, I drank far too much on Wednesday night, embarrassing myself and others and I am truly sorry for the upset I caused.”
Sign up to First Edition, our free daily newsletter – every weekday morning at 7am BST

He added: “The stresses of the last few days, coming on top of those over the last several months, have made me accept that I will benefit from professional medical support. I am in the process of seeking that now, and I hope to be able to return to my constituency duties as soon as possible.

Perhaps he could just go round in oven gloves and save himself time and money, and others the awful consequences of his actions.

How the fuck can we be living in a democracy that justifies first past the post when at the same time using the expression "whipping in" to explain the title of chief and deputy chief whip? And where the deputy chief whip has apparently been kept in post (albeit for a few hours) due to his black book... This is completely grotesque. It is an overpaid gaggle of lecherous drunks.. The only people these clowns represent in our representative democracy would be the lost back table in a piss stained Wetherspoons.

Back
Top Bottom