Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Swansea City 0 Cardiff City 1 (6th Feb) Oh yes!

I like the way Bothroyd manages to look both pissed off and cheated by some terribly unfair decision for almost the entire time he's on the pitch.

In a way, it's a bit like an on-pitch representation of your personality on these boards ;)

Hmmmmm. :hmm:

Just seen a picture of the Jack who apparently fronted the away end at the game yesterday...... There's enough jokes in his coupon to keep spome people going all year round.

I think-given his coupon-you'd be glad it was censored.....

He was every Swanses joke butt all rolled into one.
What's this "coupon"?

I like watching pitch invaders. They're always good for a laugh. Look at this eejit!

arsenal-06-12.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66853325@N00/4438323452/#/photos/artysmokes/4438323452/lightbox/

I entirely agree that you see more union flags at the Jacks, but this is delusional bullshit that Cardiff never ever have them and they would be torn apart if they entered the ground :facepalm: It's not true and it's self-aggrandizing bullshit to paint the bluebirds as the prouder Welsh club.

Don't even get me started on Cardiff and support for devolution! For a different forum at a different time :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66853325@N00/4438323452/#/photos/artysmokes/4438323452/lightbox/

I entirely agree that you see more union flags at the Jacks, but this is delusional bullshit that Cardiff never ever have them and they would be torn apart if they entered the ground :facepalm: It's not true and it's self-aggrandizing bullshit to paint the bluebirds as the prouder Welsh club.
I've honesty never seen a big Union Jack draped over the barriers or hung up at a Cardiff game - and that picture you've linked to wasn't taken at a Cardiff game - it was taken, err, at Southend on Sea approx 250 miles from the nearest Cardiff game at the time.

I've honesty never seen a big Union Jack draped over the barriers or hung up at a Cardiff game - and that picture you've linked to wasn't taken at a Cardiff game - it was taken, err, at Southend on Sea approx 250 miles from the nearest Cardiff game at the time.

A few pages back we agreed you'd never seen large flags at games and I thought it was something you saw more at the Liberty (due to location I get to many more games away than home, and you don't see it at the away matches - apart from when we visit you). True fair dos, don't like it myself.

The thread then became "There has never been and never will be union flags at Cardiff" and the implicit idea that the club is more proudly Welsh and nationalist in its support than other Welsh teams. That's what I objected to, 'cos it's patent simplistic and self-congratulatory bollocks for so many reasons.

I then found the first picture I could find of a Cardiff supporter in a union flag as I didn't want to spend an evening looking at pictures of your fans :p

My apologies, I only viewed the smaller version of the picture, when blown up it certainly does say Cardiff on the scarf. Both clubs play in blue and yellow tbf.

The thread then became "There has never been and never will be union flags at Cardiff" and the implicit idea that the club is more proudly Welsh and nationalist in its support than other Welsh teams. That's what I objected to, 'cos it's patent simplistic and self-congratulatory bollocks for so many reasons.
Thing is, I've never made those claims. Really.

I just think it's weird - given the history of Wales and the complete absence of any Welsh identity in the Union Jack - that:
(a) a small percentage of Swansea fans chose to wave Union Jacks around
(b) other Swansea fans don't seem to object that much

There's been a fair bit of debate on the web about this - not just from Cardiff fans - and some think it's a Loyalist element, some think it's because they're BNP supporters while some Welsh fans are just baffled why any of their fellow countrymen would want to wave a Union flag.

What do you think it is?

Look what was written in a Wrexham board:
I don't have any contempt for Swansea City, I'd support them against an English club every time.

However, I choose Cardiff over you purely because your fans fly the Union Joke flag. Whatever the reason, it's sad to see Welsh fans stoop that low.
http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/general-football/52309-welsh-derby-5.html

I didn't say you, I said the thread.

Your point b/ isn't true. It's a regular discussion on Jack's message boards, with similar incredulity displayed by many Swans fans, including myself. Some people aren't bothered and some think the odd irritated Cardiff fan is worth it - probably like an accurate reflection of the Welsh population. The sentiment seems to be mainly Unionist in nature. I do think many Swans fans do object, but asking why it's not clamped down on is like asking why Annis et al. aren't clamped down on by Bluebirds.

The vasy majority of flags seen are Welsh, it's a proud Welsh club with a Welsh - speaking player in a pro-devolution area of Wales. Our twat minority is flag-based. Other clubs may vary.

For the record, when I ran my Cardiff City fanzine, it didn't go in for endless Swansea slagging off. In fact, one of the main strips attacked Cardiff's own lunkhead fans!

Why is there a royalist/loyalist/unionist presence in Swansea? Are they sons of Englisc immmigrants, seeing themselves as frontiersmen defending their homesteads against Gravellite natives from the wild west?

What's this "coupon"?

I like watching pitch invaders. They're always good for a laugh. Look at this eejit!

arsenal-06-12.jpg

I remember you taking tha photo Mike. A couple of years later I hired some labourers to do some work up in Blackwood and I was looking at this guy thinking I knew him. In the end I asked him how we might have met before and couldnt think. I said do you go down the city and he said he used to but he was banned and it was that invader from Highbury. I guess you could call him a North London Invader, but that would be Madness!!

Why is there a royalist/loyalist/unionist presence in Swansea? Are they sons of Englisc immmigrants, seeing themselves as frontiersmen defending their homesteads against Gravellite natives from the wild west?

I didn't want to ruin this thread with some boring historical interest, but since you ask, South Pembrokeshire was very heavily settled from after the Norman invasion right up to the Tudors by the English and is often referred to as Little England Beyond Wales. This is reflected in the architecture, place names and local surnames as well as the sharp contrast between English speakers in South Pembrokeshire and Welsh Speakers in North Pembs. The Gower and Swansea were at the very furthest tip of this historic English settlement. Unfortunately I doubt very much that the Union Jack waving Jacks have even the slightest grasp of this. It's interesting though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_England_beyond_Wales

More importantly , we beat them 1-0! :D

While on the subject of our club's knuckle-dragging fraternity, does anyone else find embarassing the growing proliferation of Union Jacks around the Liberty?

Sat in West on Sunday, I cringed as the Cardiff fans taunted us with, 'Wales, Wales', 'You're not fit to be Welsh', 'Are you England in disguise?', and 'What the f##king hell is that?' - referring to the aforemetioned flags. Stangely enough, the West stand became pretty much muted for the rest of the game after that. Embarassment I'd imagine.

http://scfc.co.uk/lazarus/

Giant sized facepalm for the Cardiff union jack flag.
From some random bloke in Southend, 250 miles from the nearest game.

So, to recap: he's not at the game, the flag isn't draped in the ground, he's nowhere near a Cardiff City game, he's not even in Wales and, finally, we've already discussed this days ago.

double+face+palm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom