Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Superb Owl 2024

N has stomped off to bed in a huff :oops:

He does lurve Taylor Swift though so I think he enjoyed it despite the result.

Reactions: Ax^
I understood the individual words of that :)

Ah ok on reflection yes, once again rugby's better with proper skillful kicks from the touchline.

One thing Rugby has over this game...Is that in Rugby the flow of play is actually broadly understandable in real-time. I don't know about anyone else, but actually understanding what is happening (in AF), in -play, is nigh-on impossible (the dull runs into traffic aside).

I put this down to camera scope, for example, in a passing play, the camera is focussed on the QB (to see if he gets sacked)...He will get chased, and release the ball under pressure. As a viewer, I have no idea if the pass has any likelihood of completing (or indeed if it was intended to complete), until the camera has caught up with the receiver.

It's the replays and slo-mos that provide the actual 'read' of the game retrospectively, and the result of the play provides the context and informs the strategic decisions. It's still fascinating, and I like to think I know more about the game than a typical Brit, but even commentators often appear mystified about (for example) flags on the play.

American Football means nothing to me, but I do love the hype and razzmatazz of it all.

While not as glitzy, The FA Cup Final used to command this sort of reverence across much of England. It felt like everything would shut down for the whole afternoon. That is, until they started fucking around with the kick off time and now it's lost most of its appeal.

One thing Rugby has over this game...Is that in Rugby the flow of play is actually broadly understandable in real-time. I don't know about anyone else, but actually understanding what is happening (in AF), in -play, is nigh-on impossible (the dull runs into traffic aside).

I put this down to camera scope, for example, in a passing play, the camera is focussed on the QB (to see if he gets sacked)...He will get chased, and release the ball under pressure. As a viewer, I have no idea if the pass has any likelihood of completing (or indeed if it was intended to complete), until the camera has caught up with the receiver.

It's the replays and slo-mos that provide the actual 'read' of the game retrospectively, and the result of the play provides the context and informs the strategic decisions. It's still fascinating, and I like to think I know more about the game than a typical Brit, but even commentators often appear mystified about (for example) flags on the play.
What struck me about the Six Nations games is how the game flows really nicely, American Football it just seems like a continual series of heavy hits with the odd bits of skillful play fitting in between them.

I do often have similar problems understanding what infringements rugby refs pick up. I'm repeatedly amazed at how they seem to be able to see under a writhing mass of bodies to determine what happened to the ball :eek:

American Football means nothing to me, but I do love the hype and razzmatazz of it all.

While not as glitzy, The FA Cup Final used to command this sort of reverence across much of England. It felt like everything would shut down for the whole afternoon. That is, until they started fucking around with the kick off time and now it's lost most of its appeal.
the hype and razzmatazz is exactly what I hate about it. Like the X-factor stuff and quiz shows where nothing's actually happening but they're 'building atmosphere' and pretending the whole thing's fucking exciting because there's a lot of money involved.

And all the patriotic American military with their flags and shit and singing various versions of "America the fucking incredible". Don't know whether you saw the last Wales match but they had a kid on his own singing the Welsh anthem and it was really moving, it seemed altogether more honest rather than all the rah rah rah.

the hype and razzmatazz is exactly what I hate about it. Like the X-factor stuff and quiz shows where nothing's actually happening but they're 'building atmosphere' and pretending the whole thing's fucking exciting because there's a lot of money involved.

That's fine. I mean, for me it's what makes a rather dull sport vaguely interesting. I'm not saying we should transplant all the military and parotic flag shagging stuff. But I like having bands and stuff perform to create more of a showpiece. e.g. that time Goldie Lookin Chain came on and did Your Missus Is A Nutter before the England v Wales game and dedicated it to posh spice. That was mint. More of this kind of stuff.

I think that's good in that it's different. It's big and brash and American and that's fine, obviously it's an American sport. That doesn't mean we should do the same thing here - it's good for there to still be a different vibe about these events in different places.

Back
Top Bottom