Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stunning pictures of the North

Lowick, Northumberland
H8T8Abs.jpg

I don't know about the other Northerners on here, but the easy access to glorious countryside is the main reason I love living here. And the fact that as a Northerner its home of course! You can't beat a good walk on a windswept barren Pennine moor to sort your head out. :cool:

Oh I believe ya!

Scafell Pike, Lake District. The roof of England, and I like how Wainwright described it:

"Yet this rough and desolate summit is, after all, just as it should be, and none of us would really want it different. A smooth green promenade here would be wrong. This is the summit of England, and it is fitting that it should be sturdy and rugged and strong."

scafells.jpg

Picture from the summit:

Scafell-pike-summit.jpg

Yeah, bit long for a day trip. Maybe when HS2 is completed?

See you in 2027 :cool:

:mad::D

Funny enough some friends have just moved back to Yorkshire after many years in London andhave been teasing me on stalkerbook ever since with their stupidly happy pics of them rambling in stunning countryside. Will no doubt visit them for a weekend at some point.

In the past I've been on urban walks where we stayed in a youth hostel for one or two nights. A meal and drinks were involved plus a good walk. I remember the Derbyshire, Wales and the North Norfolk coast walks. I bet we could beat all of those when it comes to stunning views :)

A first thought on a good walk would be the Mam Tor ridge, as that's not too hard going, and distance wise about fair to middling at 11 miles. Edale is easy to get to from Manchester, and not to difficult from Leeds either I guess, coming via Sheffield. Shirl and Fez909 - doable for you? neonwilderness - not sure how long it would take from Newcastle though, as it is a fair way away.

Perhaps we could do something roughly in the middle between Manchester/Leeds and Newcastle? Has to be accessible on public transport though.

Kinder Scout is always a reliably good walk, but it is hard going so I'm not sure the dodgy-kneed gang could cope with that.

Have never joined the Urban ones before Shirl that sounds great. toblerone3 organises some from London but up until now I have been seriously slack in joining him. :oops:

Last edited:
Have never joined the Urban ones before Shirl that sounds great. Toblerone organises some from London but up until now I have been seriously slack in joining him. :oops:
I met Toblerone on a walk, can't remember which one though :oops: It's a great way to spend a couple of days :)

Funny enough some friends have just moved back to Yorkshire after many years in London andhave been teasing me on stalkerbook ever since with their stupidly happy pics of them rambling in stunning countryside. Will no doubt visit them for a weekend at some point.
Send them this :D

A first thought on a good walk would be the Mam Tor ridge, as that's not too hard going, and distance wise about fair to middling at 11 miles. Edale is easy to get to from Manchester, and not to difficult from Leeds either I guess, coming via Sheffield. Shirl and Fez909 - doable for you? neonwilderness - not sure how long it would take from Newcastle though, as it is a fair way away.
Everything is a fair way from Newcastle :hmm: :D

I can drive so could be a bit more flexible (finances depending), or with a bit of planning could try and get cheap train tickets

Perhaps we could do something roughly in the middle between Manchester/Leeds and Newcastle? Has to be accessible on public transport though.

Kinder Scout is always a reliably good walk, but it is hard going so I'm not sure the dodgy-kneed gang could cope with that.

Either of those if fine for me. I've done them both before but get them mixed up. I remember one looks like the moon when you're on the top - a barren, alien landscape, with a plateaux of peat bog. And the other is a nice climb but a bit ruined by the fact there's a fucking road right near the peak :mad: Nice views on both, though. Especially of the cement factory ;)

:cool:

Either of those if fine for me. I've done them both before but get them mixed up. I remember one looks like the moon when you're on the top - a barren, alien landscape, with a plateaux of peat bog. And the other is a nice climb but a bit ruined by the fact there's a fucking road right near the peak :mad: Nice views on both, though. Especially of the cement factory ;)

:cool:

Kinder is the peat plateau, and Mam Tor is the ridge with the road across it. :)

And if you want a damn good work out, walk up Winnats Pass in a gale - the bloody thing acts like a wind tunnel, focusing the wind through the little valley. One of the most difficult bit of walking I've ever done. :mad:

Winnats-On-Fire.jpg

Everything is a fair way from Newcastle :hmm: :D

I can drive so could be a bit more flexible (finances depending), or with a bit of planning could try and get cheap train tickets

You are a bit out of the way up there in the wilds of the NE! Given we are in autumn, we'd have to pick a sensible route to take account of crappy weather, so probably a relatively low level one is best. I've never done Kinder in winter and suspect it would be treacherous.

You are a bit out of the way up there in the wilds of the NE! Given we are in autumn, we'd have to pick a sensible route to take account of crappy weather, so probably a relatively low level one is best. I've never done Kinder in winter and suspect it would be treacherous.

I went up Mam Tor in January and it was absolutely stunning. Icicles and snow everywhere and crystal clear air. :cool: I've also walked up that road you've just linked and yep, it's a killer. And it wasn't even windy when I did it :D

Stanage Edge is quite a nice walk, and easily doable in wintry weather. It's also very easy to get to from Manc, Leeds or further North. Possibility?

HGyngt8.jpg

I went up Mam Tor in January and it was absolutely stunning. Icicles and snow everywhere and crystal clear air. :cool: I've also walked up that road you've just linked and yep, it's a killer. And it wasn't even windy when I did it :D

Stanage Edge is quite a nice walk, and easily doable in wintry weather. It's also very easy to get to from Manc, Leeds or further North. Possibility?

HGyngt8.jpg
I think that's where we walked on the urban Derbyshire walk. editor?
It was a relatively easy walk I think, with a bit of wind and bog thrown in.

How about doing Whernside in the Dales? Not that difficult to get to from Manc or Leeds, and more doable from Newcastle?

I picked a random date in October (Saturday 19th) and the timings looked like this:

Manchester to Ribblehead - 07:36 from Manchester, arriving in Ribblehead 10:06. Return 21:00, arrive Manchester 00:08, £29.90 off peak return (trainline.com).

Newcastle to Ribblehead - 06:45 from Newcastle arriving in Ribblehead 10:06. Return 19:30, arrive Newcastle 22:47, £65.30 off peak return. It looks like this would be the last reasonable train you could get back, as the next service at 21:00 takes a whopping 13 hours and 12 minutes to get to Newcastle!

http://where2walk.co.uk/yorkshire_dales/dales_summits_walks/whernside-from-ribblehead/?pid=400 - 7.5 miles which is not too long and not too short, and there is a pub at the station for refreshments afterwards. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom