Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stunning pictures of the North

Thornton le Dale

Satellite

That's an amazing picture - totally chocolate box, but beautiful. What a place to live.

Captain Cook's Monument and Roseberry Topping, N. Yorks
cCjitL2.jpg

Did you get your teachers at school banging on about how it was destroyed by lightning, and had to be rebuilt with a conductor? I just looked him up, and he certainly got about a bit. Next time I'm back in Stockton I'll have to go on the replica ship moored there as I don't know whether I've ever been on it.

There's another waterfall somewhere in the North that you can walk behind - you approach it by a path on the right hand side of the fall. I went there as a kid (must have been around 7 or so), and my mam has some awful photos of me and my sister, with me wearing a parka and basin hair cut. I can't remember what it is called, so does anyone know what it is called?
Ashgill Force near Alston maybe?

There's another I've been to up here somewhere, but I can't think where

Ashgill Force near Alston maybe?

There's another I've been to up here somewhere, but I can't think where

It might be that one, as it did have quite an overhang that you can walk under. I remember it as being a deeper recess though, and darker, but my memory may be dodgy given I was very young at the time. Great in winter though, being frozen with massive icicles you can break off. :)

It might be that one, as it did have quite an overhang that you can walk under. I remember it as being a deeper recess though, and darker, but my memory may be dodgy given I was very young at the time. Great in winter though, being frozen with massive icicles you can break off. :)
That sounds more like the other one that I can't remember the name of either (think it might have been in Yorkshire) :D

This was Ashgill just after new year a few years back

neonwilderness said:
I used to visit there quite a bit with my parents when I was younger, I keep meaning to go back sometime

Which one did you quote?

The one from the first post with the rainbow and (I think) car lights.

This thread should be renamed Stunning pictures of the north on mushroom trips. Not that the North can't be stunning without psychedelics I just am over the HDR thing.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but this is a view from Sutton Bank, North Yorkshire. A great view from the top over the lowlands below, and I bet the slope is popular with cyclists freewheeling downhill at speed.

15218_6829967404f180ada10012.jpg
I've often sat in my car up there and looked out over the lowlands. Only in daylight though, the light in this photo is amazing!

Ambleside, Lake District. Massively touristy so a bit claustrophobic, but a lovely place nonetheless. They also have good mint cake shops with some odd varieties that you don't see one sale elsewhere.

Ambleside.jpg

I've often sat in my car up there and looked out over the lowlands. Only in daylight though, the light in this photo is amazing!

That's one of the main things I love about climbing hills - just being able to stop and look at the amazing view, in total solitude. :cool:

That's one of the main things I love about climbing hills - just being able to stop and look at the amazing view, in total solitude. :cool:
I agree although the only times I've been atop Sutton Bank is when I've either been visiting Whitby for work or pleasure. Hence the stopping in the car.

Some stunning pictures/places on this thread...I hope those that have easy access to these places go walking etc....autumn must be fantastic around these areas. Jealous! :)

I don't know about the other Northerners on here, but the easy access to glorious countryside is the main reason I love living here. And the fact that as a Northerner its home of course! You can't beat a good walk on a windswept barren Pennine moor to sort your head out. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom