Stunning pictures of the North

Ladybower Reservoir, Peak District.

Calm:

14650_9269806004ce6a3292a29f.jpg

Nice bridge carrying the Snake Pass:

Card-Ashopton%20Viaduct,%20Ladybower%20Reservoir.jpg

The plughole of DOOM!

england-travel-plug-hole-ladybower-reservoir-derbyshire-tony-m.jpg

View of Greater Manchester from Werneth Low at night. The red tower you can see on the horizon on one of them is the Winter Hill transmitter. Oh, and there's a nice big pub on the top so you can keep out the cold while taking photos.

4245014425_e9a348730a_z.jpg

6744908.jpg

3434602081_1321f78b3c_o.jpg

And this is Werneth Low rising from dense fog like a whale, from this site http://hydonian.blogspot.co.uk/2010_05_01_archive.html. This picture was taken from Harrop Edge.

fog+011.jpg

Some great photos there farmerbarleymow . You don't half stay up late though :)

I had a mammoth sleep on Saturday, but since getting up mid-afternoon on Saturday, I've only had a few hours sleep since (and no, no dodgy substances were involved!), and I'm feeling that weird slightly trippy sensation now as a result. But still not tired. :mad:

The Get Cater car park in Gateshead, now long gone to make space for Tesco to expand. It was always a bit of a contentious subject, I quite like it but plenty of people didn't.

I like it - It was designed by the same archictect as the Duston Rocket wasn't it? Owen Luder, yes it was The_Rocket_-_geograph.org.uk_-_87646.jpg
Big daddy rocket.

I don't think there's a single one of his buildings still up. A shame IMO.

I like it - It was designed by the same archictect as the Duston Rocket wasn't it? Owen Luder, yes it was

I don't think there's a single one of his buildings still up. A shame IMO.
Yep, I think he did something down Portsmouth way which has gone too.

I work not far from the Rocket. Apparently there was a spiral car park underneath it which never opened, but I've not seen any signs of that.

I don't know about the car park either but it's a crying shame the Rocket went - Just as tower blocks are being rehabilitated as well. It was a more iconic block that Balfron and Trellick combined IMO.

I don't know about the car park either but it's a crying shame the Rocket went - Just as tower blocks are being rehabilitated as well. It was a more iconic block that Balfron and Trellick combined IMO.
By all accounts it was a bit of a dump and there were loads of problems inside. Not sure whether that was just poor maintenance or (as the council claim) due to the way it was built. They are building new flats on the site though, so hopefully some good will come of it.

I always liked the rocket too - one of the most unusual buildings you'd likely see anywhere in England. Shame it is gone, especially given its immortality in that crisps advert.

Never liked the car park though - just took against it the first time I saw for no rational reason. :)

Back
Top Bottom