Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

"Clarks warehouse workers, who are members of the Community union, face the following threats:

.... Welcome to the “brave new world” of Clarks’ new owners, Lion Rock Capital. This is a Hong Kong-based, venture capitalist, hedge-fund capitalist, slash-and-burn capitalist company."
If we have any Somerset-based posters, there's a demo in support of the Clarks' strikers in Street this weekend:

Also a rally for striking Redbrige NEU members happening in London on Monday:

Looked at the Goldsmiths thing again, and seen that there's 20 academic and 32 non-academic jobs threatened - does anyone know if this is a case where the affected professional services staff are members of UCU, or is it just that they're members of a union that is doing fuck all?

Not just redundancies, but the planned centralisation of administrative services (which have already suffered cuts, to the detriment of staff and students alike), as well as the warden’s ‘recovery plan’, agreed between senior management and its banking partners.
Are the admin staff also in UCU, or is this a case where the admin staff's union is, um, not doing a very good job? Or am I being unfair?

Respect to Tribune for pretty consistently publishing stuff on industrial disputes written by actual affected workers:

Rosters have now been published for the two lines on which Night Tube is scheduled to restart on 26 November. The results are predictably bad. One example which sticks in the craw are the ‘Saturday night’ shifts which actually finish at 7:30 am on a Sunday. The company counts this Sunday as a rest day, even though you have worked for 7.5 hours of it. Drivers are of course not convinced that they will be able to work nearly a third of their Sunday, enjoy this ‘rest day’ with their family, and still get sufficient rest before their Monday daytime shift. When the company tells drivers that Sunday is their day off, it seems like they are encouraging drivers to burn the candle at both ends, leaving them insufficiently rested before returning to work.

Rest between shifts matters. Insufficient rest periods lead to fatigue, fatigue leads to accidents, and railway accidents are deadly. A fatigued driver will have longer reaction times and a reduced ability to process information. Tiredness leads to memory lapses, reduced attention, and underestimation of risks.

These dangers mean that London Underground agreed with the unions in 2016 to never allow full-time drivers to work Night Tube shifts. They have reneged on this deal. The RMT has repeatedly asked for a comprehensive risk assessment of the new rosters. London Underground has refused.
A "day off" where you're working till 7:30 in the morning, fucking hell.

Are the admin staff also in UCU, or is this a case where the admin staff's union is, um, not doing a very good job? Or am I being unfair?
I don’t know if all admin staff are UCU members; some will be, some not.

Management’s plan to ‘evolve’ the university through cuts and centralisation of services, plus its secretive deals with banks, has been presented as a done deal and has disastrous consequences for teaching and research. Staff are at breaking point and have been for some time. Seventy per cent turned out for the strike and 86% voted to strike. UCU could hardly be described as a union that’s “doing fuck all”.

I don’t know if all admin staff are UCU members; some will be, some not.

Management’s plan to ‘evolve’ the university through cuts and centralisation of services, plus its secretive deals with banks, has been presented as a done deal and has disastrous consequences for teaching and research. Staff are at breaking point and have been for some time. Seventy per cent turned out for the strike and 86% voted to strike. UCU could hardly be described as a union that’s “doing fuck all”.
Oh yeah, I absolutely was not trying to diss UCU there - I was just a bit worried/grumpy because I would normally expect the main union for admin staff to be Unison, and I'm not really clear on what if anything the local Unison branch are doing. I suppose they could have run a strike ballot and lost/failed to get over 50%, in which case their hands would be tied legally, but at the same time, if you can't get to 50% over an issue that's so deeply felt and important that 70% of your immediate colleagues are voting on it, then it does seem like something's gone a bit wrong.

Various other things:
Stuart/JustEat couriers organised through IWGB in Sheffield to strike over pay on December 6th, public protest in Sheffield on November 28th:
https://actionnetwork.org/fundraisi...ders-are-going-on-strike-pay-rise-not-pay-cut

TSSA balloting on Avanti West Coast:

Wincanton/Morrisons lorry drivers are not going on strike, because they're getting a pay rise of 18%-24.4%:

Sheffield bin dispute now settled:

RMT and other London transport unions holding a "save London transport" demo on December 1st:

Two upcoming protests/rallies in support of ongoing UVW disputes:
Great Ormond Street, Dec 7th:

Harrods, Dec 18th:

Goldsmiths strike fundraiser raffle and online poetry thing:

Also, Unison finally due to start balloting soon at 37 unis:

"Clarks warehouse workers, who are members of the Community union, face the following threats:

• An average reduction in pay of £1.66 per hour: from the current £11.16 to £9.50

• An increase of 2.5 working hours per week, due to paid 30-minute meal breaks being abolished

• No pay rise for at least four years, despite the union agreeing to help the company through a “difficult financial spell“ by accepting two hours less per week instead of a pay rise on two different occasions and at the company’s proposal

• Drastic cuts in sick pay: from 13 weeks’ full pay to six weeks’ full pay and six weeks’ half-pay; abolition of sick pay for the first day of absence; no sick pay entitlement from day one of employment, only after six months

• The abolition of a daily 10-minute coffee break, brought in at the company’s request to ease warehouse operations

• A drastic reduction in redundancy entitlements: from enhanced double statutory, to statutory, (ie, one week’s wages per year of service), raising fears that the company will get rid of workers, even close the Street distribution centre, just as they are closing their distribution centre in Kendal

• Cuts to overtime rates to time thus giving no chance to increase pay

• No direct cuts to maternity pay or pension entitlements, but with a 15-20 per cent cut in wages, pensions will suffer a drastic fall when taken out

.... Welcome to the “brave new world” of Clarks’ new owners, Lion Rock Capital. This is a Hong Kong-based, venture capitalist, hedge-fund capitalist, slash-and-burn capitalist company."
Community are claiming victory:

For what it's worth, Unite are asking people to sign a petition in support of the striking Scunthorpe scaffolders here:

The social media pages for the dispute are:

Also, RMT will be holding demonstrations against cuts to station staffing across the North East on Monday 6th (Berwick), Monday 13th (Newcastle and Durham), and Wednesday 15th (Darlington and York):

Oh yeah, I absolutely was not trying to diss UCU there - I was just a bit worried/grumpy because I would normally expect the main union for admin staff to be Unison, and I'm not really clear on what if anything the local Unison branch are doing. I suppose they could have run a strike ballot and lost/failed to get over 50%, in which case their hands would be tied legally, but at the same time, if you can't get to 50% over an issue that's so deeply felt and important that 70% of your immediate colleagues are voting on it, then it does seem like something's gone a bit wrong.
Professional services staff are in ucu after a certain pay scale, and under that cut off would be in unison. But a lot have left because ucu often seem to forget we exist.
So the professional services redundancies will be split across the two unions.

Just wish I could see more about what Unison are doing in response, because at the moment it does seem like the resistance to the redundancies is coming very disproprotionately from one of the unions. 😕

This is the latest RMT press release, doesn't really say much though:

Up to 1,200 workers at Tesco distribution centres across the UK are set to strike in the run-up to Christmas, the Unite union says.
The workers, including warehouse staff and HGV drivers, are based at sites in Antrim, Belfast, Didcot and Doncaster.
It comes after the supermarket offered a 4% pay rise which Unite said amounted to a "real terms pay cut" due to inflation.

Unite said the pay rise offered by the firm was "well below" the current retail price index rate of inflation which is 6%.

Back
Top Bottom