Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

"Clarks warehouse workers, who are members of the Community union, face the following threats:

• An average reduction in pay of £1.66 per hour: from the current £11.16 to £9.50

• An increase of 2.5 working hours per week, due to paid 30-minute meal breaks being abolished

• No pay rise for at least four years, despite the union agreeing to help the company through a “difficult financial spell“ by accepting two hours less per week instead of a pay rise on two different occasions and at the company’s proposal

• Drastic cuts in sick pay: from 13 weeks’ full pay to six weeks’ full pay and six weeks’ half-pay; abolition of sick pay for the first day of absence; no sick pay entitlement from day one of employment, only after six months

• The abolition of a daily 10-minute coffee break, brought in at the company’s request to ease warehouse operations

• A drastic reduction in redundancy entitlements: from enhanced double statutory, to statutory, (ie, one week’s wages per year of service), raising fears that the company will get rid of workers, even close the Street distribution centre, just as they are closing their distribution centre in Kendal

• Cuts to overtime rates to time thus giving no chance to increase pay

• No direct cuts to maternity pay or pension entitlements, but with a 15-20 per cent cut in wages, pensions will suffer a drastic fall when taken out

.... Welcome to the “brave new world” of Clarks’ new owners, Lion Rock Capital. This is a Hong Kong-based, venture capitalist, hedge-fund capitalist, slash-and-burn capitalist company."

e-mail from Unite (Weetabix strike which was mentioned on last page)

Dear Arthur

Unite members at Weetabix in our East Midlands region have been on strike against Fire re Hire for six weeks now please support these workers by signing our petition.

Why is this important?
Weetabix factory engineers are striking over Weetabix’s brutal ‘fire and rehire’ ultimatum that will slash their wages and conditions.

The workers face changes to their shift and working patterns that would result in some engineers losing as much as £5,000 from their yearly earnings.

Weetabix has performed very strongly since the beginning of the pandemic. In 2020, its turnover grew by 5 per cent to £325 million and profits leapt by almost 20 per cent to £82 million. It has no excuse not to treat these workers fairly.

Add your name and show Weetabix how many of us stand against fire and rehire: https://www.megaphone.org.uk/petitions/weetabix-no-to-fire-and-rehire

Lots of stuff going on (or being called off) on the buses:
Arriva North West is off: Arriva North West bus strikes suspended as new pay offer on the table
Arriva Cymru due to strike over pay: Arriva Cymru’s bus drivers to strike for five weeks, after bosses’ make ‘poverty pay’ offer
Stagecoach West Scotland dispute settled: Stagecoach West Scotland workers accept pay offer bringing dispute to an end
Stagecoach Wales and North East still going ahead afaik:

Other stuff:
Tesco distribution workers balloting: Tesco risks empty shelves this winter after ‘offensive’ pay offer sparks nationwide strike ballot
Liverpool tanker drivers win a 17.5% pay increase: Bumper pay deal of 17.5 per cent for Liverpool tanker drivers
Weetabix strike action going up from two days a week to four: Strike days double at Weetabix Northamptonshire factories as fire and rehire taints company’s reputation
GMB strikes coming up at Serco Sandwell and four Berkshire hospitals:
Scotrail dispute is settled but Caledonian Sleeper strikes are still on for now: After ScotRail deal RMT calls for Caledonian Sleeper parity

The latest workplace/strike round up from the ACG :

There is the possibility of a walk out of restaurant staff at Harrods during the Christmas period:

As I understand it, this presumably only covers universities in the USS, so mostly pre-1992 ones, but the next ballot that reports tomorrow covers a larger number:
Yes that is correct.
I am genuinely surprised never thought that the turnout would be so good. 53% turnout for a ballot that was only open 18 days is pretty good.

Even so that fact that so many universities missed the threshold, including some large ones like Manchester, does pose problems.

Yes that is correct.
I am genuinely surprised never thought that the turnout would be so good. 53% turnout for a ballot that was only open 18 days is pretty good.

Even so that fact that so many universities missed the threshold, including some large ones like Manchester, does pose problems.
By one ballot, apparently:

I suppose the question of whether it's better to run aggreggated or disaggreggated ballots (non-jargony explanation for people who are unfamiliar with this stuff: agg is when you poll all the different workplaces as one unit, so either you all get past 50% or none of you do, disagg is where you ballot each workplace separately so everywhere that gets past 50% can strike even if other places don't, which is what UCU do) is a tricky one, not always easy to call in advance?

The call for aggregated ballots in UCU is daft. A big part of the reason the turnout was so high was precisely because we use disaggregated ballots, aggregated ballots would lower turnout (and in fact did lower turnout the last time we used them)
  • a non-trivial proportion of members vote because they know that not making the threshold will lead to attacks at the local level. This is definitely why my, relatively conservative, branch has made the threshold the last couple of times. Members are afraid of the local consequences of not making the cut-off so will vote even if they spoil/vote against.
  • while the union as a whole is getting better and better at running GTVO campaigns, the quality and willingness of such campaigns still varies between branches. There are branches that frankly don't really bother GTVO, they may send a few emails but there is no organised campaign. Sometimes this is down to a genuine lack of resources but in some cases it is a horrible branch exec/committee set up. Disaggregated ballots give less room for branches to hide so those branches that would do little on GTVO on an aggregated ballot have greater pressure to engage.
If the union was regularly getting 60+% turnouts then there would be a strong argument in favour of aggregated ballots but at the moment aggregated ballots would stop industrial action.

The call for aggregated ballots in UCU is daft. A big part of the reason the turnout was so high was precisely because we use disaggregated ballots, aggregated ballots would lower turnout (and in fact did lower turnout the last time we used them)
  • a non-trivial proportion of members vote because they know that not making the threshold will lead to attacks at the local level. This is definitely why my, relatively conservative, branch has made the threshold the last couple of times. Members are afraid of the local consequences of not making the cut-off so will vote even if they spoil/vote against.
  • while the union as a whole is getting better and better at running GTVO campaigns, the quality and willingness of such campaigns still varies between branches. There are branches that frankly don't really bother GTVO, they may send a few emails but there is no organised campaign. Sometimes this is down to a genuine lack of resources but in some cases it is a horrible branch exec/committee set up. Disaggregated ballots give less room for branches to hide so those branches that would do little on GTVO on an aggregated ballot have greater pressure to engage.
If the union was regularly getting 60+% turnouts then there would be a strong argument in favour of aggregated ballots but at the moment aggregated ballots would stop industrial action.
Yeah, that makes sense, fwiw my bit of Unison's recently gone from aggreggated to disagg, and as I understand it that was pushed by the left to make strike action easier. Although I think UCU's approach might differ a bit from the Unison "strategy" of "call an indicative vote, then make branches jump through a series of restrictive hoops before they can think about entering into dispute, so a fair proportion of branches get knocked out before they can even ballot in the first place."

Sheffield bin strike is back on, after being postponed for a ballot on the latest offer. For four hours, anyway, tomorrow morning.

GMB members at Veolia Sheffield have voted to strike over pay and ongoing attacks to their terms and conditions.

More than 80% of the refuse collectors voted for industrial action in anger at a below inflation pay offer from Veolia – amounting to a real terms pay cut.

Strike action - which could affect more than 200,000 homes - will now take place on Monday November 1 from 06:30am until 10:30am, with further days planned for November and beyond.

Lee Parkinson, GMB Organiser, said:

“GMB members working at Veolia have taken huge risks working all throughout the pandemic to help keep Sheffield moving – dealing with record amounts of waste as people work from home.

“It’s time to value them properly for the work they do.

"Politicians lining up to thank them won’t cut it; nor will a pay offer that amounts to a real terms pay cut.

"All they want is fair offer that at least keeps pace with their increasing cost of living and is not paid for with cuts to other terms and conditions.

“What they’ve been offered is an insult.”

Decent article on the Arriva Northwest dispute from Liverpool anarchos:

Strike fund for facebook cleaners:
There seems to be a serious problem with that crowdfunder. You seem to only be able to donate a monthly amount. I think that's why they haven't yet raised anything.

Edit : I have just contacted CAIWU about this and let them know.

Last edited:
There seems to be a serious problem with that crowdfunder. You seem to only be able to donate a monthly amount. I think that's why they haven't yet raised anything.

Edit : I have just contacted CAIWU about this and let them know.
Cheers for highlighting that, seems to be fixed now?

GMB have a reasonably snazzy website for the Sheffield bin strike:
Although I'm still not sure what's actually happening for it beyond that four-hour action?

GMB have a reasonably snazzy website for the Sheffield bin strike:
Although I'm still not sure what's actually happening for it beyond that four-hour action?
A vote on the picket line was for all our action from the 22nd.

Back
Top Bottom