Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

Massively important ALL OUT strike to begin at GKN Driveline in Erdington, Birmingham. 95% of members voted for continuous strike action and the notice has been served today.

I’ll be posting more about this as we proceed. This is a litmus test for the new GS, for the stewards in the city and for our ability to take on and defeat venture capitalists in a strategically important industry in our city. The strikes will start on 27th.

Updates from UVW at Great Ormond Street:

OUR WINS
Wage parity
Pensions
Annual leave
OUR DEMANDS
Full maternity and paternity pay
Annual pay
Redundancy pay

SUPPORT US
Donate to the strike fund here >>
Write to GOSH Trustees here >>

Manchester tram drivers to strike over pay starting on the 25th-26th (coinciding with a United home game and the Great Manchester Run):

Abellio Scotrail sounds like it'll now be facing strikes from both conductors organised through RMT and engineers organised through Unite:

The joint PCS/UVW park strike will be running through the whole of October:

Their strike crowdfunder thing closes tonight, for some reason:

Few more:
Outsourced cleaners at UAL striking from the 27th-1st:

Strike fund is here, will also be having a protest in support on Saturday 25th:

App Drivers and Couriers Union calling a national strike at Uber on September 28th:
(sometimes I wonder if I should find out more about the ADCU/IWGB split, but also I'm not an Uber driver and I don't know if I'd really benefit from learning about any more messy left drama)

Stagecoach drivers voting to strike over pay:

Tesco distribution centre staff voting to reject a pay offer - which isn't the same thing as voting to strike yet, but could be pretty impactful:

Food couriers wildcat in Dumferline:

Uber strike next week confirmed to be happening in at least eight cities:

Stuff confirmed happening in London, Sheffield, Glasgow and Manchester so far, more coming soon.
Also, Manchester tram strike is off after winning a pay rise:
But now Stagecoach drivers are balloting:

Good article on the developing situation at GKN. Stewards at the plant in Birmingham and others have put together a superb Lucas Plan style document setting out how the plant can be repurposed to create new green jobs making electric vehicle parts. Precisely the type of jobs that the Tories and Labour claim are the future, that position the workplace alongside British R&D and which can help lower emissions.

The strikes planned to start next week have been suspended to allow for further negotiations, with the venture capitalists pressured back into talks and forced to discuss alternatives to offshoring. An important first step for the campaign.

As Frank Duffy the Unite works convenor says “Ours is the first transition plan for an automotive plant proposed by union stewards in the UK, and an echo of the 1976 Lucas Plan, when shop stewards at Lucas Aerospace, also in Birmingham, proposed converting their plant to socially useful products.

Last edited:
Unite asking people to sign this petition in support of the East Lancashire NHS scientists on strike:

"The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) has never actually struck all of its West Coast locals at once. An estimated 60,000 IATSE members could walk off the job in the coming weeks, which would be the biggest private sector strike in the United States in over a decade."

And the Uber strike's on today:
Oh, and:

Last edited:
Not an actual post about a strike but kinda related. Please sign and share:

Also, Manchester tram strike is off after winning a pay rise:
Manchester tram strike back on now, first day on October 10th:

Liverpool uni dispute over compulsory redundancies ends with a total win:

Also, article by GMB rep about the successful Polyflor dispute:

Oh, and Stagecoach strikes in a number of areas on the 18th:

Last edited:
More Stagecoach strikes confirmed:
So that's Preston and Chorley striking through Unite, Mansfield, Worksop, Chesterfield, Exter, Barnstaple and Torquay striking through RMT, South Wales have voted to strike but no dates set yet, and Manchester and Scotland currently balloting. I hope there's going to be some national-level co-ordination going on with these.

GMB: City Clean (Brighton & Hove CC) HGV refuse & recycling drivers voted 100% to walk out for two weeks as of tomorrow. Another Green council, another strike - there’s a pattern.
Sure it'll be a piece of piss for the council to get strikebreakers in, I hear there's tons of unemployed HGV drivers desperately looking for anyone who'll hire them at the moment. ;)

isnt this whats happening, refuse drivers shifting to new better paid HGV jobs , leaving routes short staffed and stressed? Dont know about Brighton per se but sounds like thats happening elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom