Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

just seen a well known urbanite on the picket line in Swansea on the bbc Wales news! nice one

Me today with a mates 6 yr old daughters placard.

393333_2509793397649_1637523851_2341069_84695996_n.jpg

He crossed a picket line he's a scab, end of story. He could have spoken at the rally in Edinburgh, he chose, along with all the other scab SNP MSP's to cross the picketline. Fuck him the fat jambo pie eating cunt.

I think you're speaking crap tbh. He went to Westminster because that is where the centre of tory power is. As for the issue of him 'picking up his days pay'. He's getting paid anyway in his salary so it makes no difference. I don't know much about the SNP so I can only go on Salmonds' actions in this case, and I didn't see it being an issue. I'd rather he did what he did then making some empty political gesture for the cameras. We get too much of that as it is.

I think you're speaking crap tbh. He went to Westminster because that is where the centre of tory power is. As for the issue of him 'picking up his days pay'. He's getting paid anyway in his salary so it makes no difference. I don't know much about the SNP so I can only go on Salmonds' actions in this case, and I didn't see it being an issue. I'd rather he did what he did then making some empty political gesture for the cameras. We get too much of that as it is.

Hmmm, given you have no idea where he was today I reckon the shite is spilling pout of your mouth. He went nowhere near Westmister today. He's the first minister at holyrood, ie the Scottish parliament. What is an 'empty gesture' about not crossing a picketline? He didn't have to cross that picketline to make the rather flabby point he did. He claims he supports the strikers but crosses the picketline to make that point, as coherent as you frankly.

He crossed a picket line to go into Holyrood, where he is the one that's in power.

Fair enough. For some reason I had it in my head that I saw him on PMQ's earlier. Although I was playing Skyrim at the same time so you can understand my lack of proper attention. But the issue here is about whether or not Salmond was right to 'cross the picket line' - which For me misses the point about what a strike is for.

The withdrawal of labour should be to show that Capital (in this case the state) is completely reliant on those who create the wealth. Workers. In this context, a scab is someone who is complicit in maintaining the power of Capital over Labour by aiding the continuation of production during that period of strike. Alex Salmond is not a worker though, he is an elected representative, and as such, his presence in parliament makes no difference to the ability of strikers to affect the change they want. It does not in any way hinder their aims. His support in parliament on the other hand might.

Fair enough. For some reason I had it in my head that I saw him on PMQ's earlier. Although I was playing Skyrim at the same time so you can understand my lack of proper attention. But the issue here is about whether or not Salmond was right to 'cross the picket line' - which For me misses the point about what a strike is for.

The withdrawal of labour should be to show that Capital (in this case the state) is completely reliant on those who create the wealth. Workers. In this context, a scab is someone who is complicit in maintaining the power of Capital over Labour by aiding the continuation of production during that period of strike. Alex Salmond is not a worker though, he is an elected representative, and as such, his presence in parliament makes no difference to the ability of strikers to affect the change they want. It does not in any way hinder their aims.

:facepalm:

I should face palm your attempts at being the hardman striker on the picket-line. Be pragmatic instead of posturing. His 'crossing the picket-line' was no such thing. It's all just 'impressions' that you want him to give. Why? It means fuck all in reality.

I should face palm your attempts at being the hardman striker on the picket-line. Be pragmatic instead of posturing. His 'crossing the picket-line' was no such thing. It's all just 'impressions' that you want him to give. Why? It means fuck all in reality.

What are you going on about? :D

You either cross a picket line, or you don't!

What's this hardman striker straw man you spluttered onto the screen?

He refused in the Parliament to support the strike by supporting and respecting those picketlines. By doing so he he could have simple spoken to tens of thousands instead of a near half empty parliament. His rhetoric of support would have been far more noteworthy if he'd spoken at the much bigger rally outside parliament. When the strike rally, tens of thousands strong, in Glasgow was shown footage of Salmond crossing the pcketline he was booed. Even the STV journo commented on the level of noise of the boos. So, it's not just me who thinks he's a scab, thousands of others do too. Including hard women dinnerladies.... :rolleyes:

The point is. He wasn't replacing a striking worker.
And the point of a strike is...to shut down a workplace. By crossing the line - even tho he wasn't himself one of the workers in dispute - he was still going against the demands of the strike. Even if he did then speak up for those demands.

Ask yourself why it is that crossing a picket-line is looked down on. It's because of the effect this might have on the ability of the strike to succeed. Alex Salmond does not have that effect when he enters parliament. Especially considering he voiced his support.

Ask yourself why it is that crossing a picket-line is looked down on. It's because of the effect this might have on the ability of the strike to succeed. Alex Salmond does not have that effect when he enters parliament. Especially considering he voiced his support.

He's still a scab.

The strike at the Scottish parliament was there to stop the parliament doing it's job. Salmond spoke in that parliament, he did his job. Like other SNP MSP's he helped ensure that the strike and picketline at that parliament didn't shut the place down, he is a scab. You are defending a scab.

And the point of a strike is...to shut down a workplace.

Exactly. And him going to work did not prevent that happening.
What's this hardman striker straw man you spluttered onto the screen?

It just appears to me that you are attempting to fulfil a stereo type of a militant from the 70's and apply that to a situation which is completely different. It's all just rhetoric and hot wind. Why give a fuck what Salmond does when it impacts not iota on whether the strike succeeds.

Exactly. And him going to work did not prevent that happening.

It just appears to me that you are attempting to fulfil a stereo type of a militant from the 70's and apply that to a situation which is completely different. It's all just rhetoric and hot wind. Why give a fuck what Salmond does when it impacts not iota on whether the strike succeeds.

You haven't really thought this through, have you?

The strike at the Scottish parliament was to shut down the Scottish parliament, Salmond went in to help keep the Scottish parliament working and open, he's a scab, you defend his right to cross that picketline.

He's still a scab.

This makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm younger than you, I dunno. I have no memory of the 70's or of the miners' strike, so the 'scab' thing doesn't resonate. I just look at the real-world result of a persons' actions. Salmonds actions do not result in the same things as another person crossing that line would, so I don't think it is right to apply the same moral indignation at what he did.

Back
Top Bottom