Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

They don't appear to be mentioning the other stuff (T&Cs being attacked) so I'm guessing that must have been resolved and what was being voted on was the pay rise.
Yeah, there's this from the RMT release:
"Network Rail withdrawing their previous insistence the offer was conditional on RMT accepting the company ‘modernising maintenance’ agenda, which the union will continue to scrutinise and challenge including on safety."
So that sounds to me like they've got Network Rail to walk back on that one?

Yeah, there's this from the RMT release:
"Network Rail withdrawing their previous insistence the offer was conditional on RMT accepting the company ‘modernising maintenance’ agenda, which the union will continue to scrutinise and challenge including on safety."
So that sounds to me like they've got Network Rail to walk back on that one?

It does. And I assume that Network Rail would include the ticket offices?

But it does not include the train operating companies, where the dispute remains live and action scheduled for end of the month remains on.

Comparing to the Iraq war? Slightly melodramatic and perhaps inappropriate. Not sure if the the statues of Mick Lynch been pulled down already

An uncleared media line or perhaps an agreed one way to smear the RMT?
He said he’d been listening to a podcast about it. Still a weird analogy though.

There's a lot in that article I have questions about:
"Haines said the strike had ended with a sub-inflation deal, one of the best from the employers’ view in many years, because “the shareholder, the government was prepared to tolerate more pain than in the previous 14 years” in terms of disruption and lost revenue."
Presumably that's the employer selling it as one of the best in years from their point of view by comparing it to inflation rather than looking at the raw figures, which seems like the opposite of what they'd normally do?
Also, the RMT describe the deal as "An uplift on salaries of between 14.4 per cent for the lowest paid grades to 9.2 per cent for the highest paid", which seems a fair way off from Mark Harper describing it as "a fair and reasonable 5% plus 4% pay offer, over two years". Something funny going on there.
Similarly, on the reforms the employers wanted, the Guardian article says: "Haines said a deal “was close” months ago. He said the long industrial standoff, during which Network Rail pushed ahead with modernisation reforms, had featured it telling the RMT “you don’t hold us to ransom” and that unions “don’t have a right of veto”, which he said was “a seismic moment”."
Which again seems quite different to the RMT saying the deal included "Network Rail withdrawing their previous insistence the offer was conditional on RMT accepting the company ‘modernising maintenance’ agenda, which the union will continue to scrutinise and challenge including on safety".
I reckon it's not impossible that the RMT, like any union, might be tempted to over-exaggerate the amount they've won, but then also I wouldn't trust the tories or the Network Rail bosses as far as I could throw a train, so would be interested to hear where the actual truth lies there.

Not to show off too much about my exciting star-studded lifestyle, but was just in the pub with a RMT member working in Network Rail and he thought the deal was shit and reflected people not being able to see a clear path to victory more than anything else. Which isn't really what I was hoping to hear, but there you go.

There was a Q&A with Pat Cullen for RCN members about the pay offer last night, some heavy moderating of allowed questions apparently, I'm waiting for a more comprehensive feedback though. My gut feeling is it will get accepted by the membership, for same reasons hitmouse gives that the RMT member says.

The best that could be said about matters is that some unions are concluding deals that seem to represent a score draw with the government/bosses. Others seem to have not even achieved that. Some victories have been chalked up but these have been small and not sparked similar disputes and rippled out elsewhere.

A far cry from the heady days of talks of a general strike and the organised working class on the march.

It was inevitable because of union density in the private sector that leverage and impact was alway going to be a factor over the long term. Bosses settled in areas where a real impact could have been felt like food distribution.

But the lack of coordination and strategy can’t be blamed on that. Neither can the gaping lack of a political vision and programme to deliver it that the British trade union movement seems to think it has but clearly doesn’t.

Last edited:
Some background on UCU internal decisions, Vicky Blake is doing a Q&A with members of several London branches later today.

There's a lot in that article I have questions about:
"Haines said the strike had ended with a sub-inflation deal, one of the best from the employers’ view in many years, because “the shareholder, the government was prepared to tolerate more pain than in the previous 14 years” in terms of disruption and lost revenue."
Presumably that's the employer selling it as one of the best in years from their point of view by comparing it to inflation rather than looking at the raw figures, which seems like the opposite of what they'd normally do?
Also, the RMT describe the deal as "An uplift on salaries of between 14.4 per cent for the lowest paid grades to 9.2 per cent for the highest paid", which seems a fair way off from Mark Harper describing it as "a fair and reasonable 5% plus 4% pay offer, over two years". Something funny going on there.
Similarly, on the reforms the employers wanted, the Guardian article says: "Haines said a deal “was close” months ago. He said the long industrial standoff, during which Network Rail pushed ahead with modernisation reforms, had featured it telling the RMT “you don’t hold us to ransom” and that unions “don’t have a right of veto”, which he said was “a seismic moment”."
Which again seems quite different to the RMT saying the deal included "Network Rail withdrawing their previous insistence the offer was conditional on RMT accepting the company ‘modernising maintenance’ agenda, which the union will continue to scrutinise and challenge including on safety".
I reckon it's not impossible that the RMT, like any union, might be tempted to over-exaggerate the amount they've won, but then also I wouldn't trust the tories or the Network Rail bosses as far as I could throw a train, so would be interested to hear where the actual truth lies there.
I wonder how much of an effect changing practices (work from home, shopping online) since the pandemic has had on union power in transport in terms of the govt ‘taking the pain’.

I wonder how much of an effect changing practices (work from home, shopping online) since the pandemic has had on union power in transport in terms of the govt ‘taking the pain’.
Hmmm, I can see how there might be some of that - some of my colleagues live far enough from work that they can't get in on train strike days, and I imagine pre-pandemic that must've caused major disruption but now it's just "ok, looks like I'm working from home that day". But having said that, the RMT member I was talking to did also point out that Drax gets all its fuel by rail, and I reckon the government would not be too happy to "take the pain" if rail workers shut down supplies to Drax for any noticeable length of time.

Oh, and the detail of the Network Rail deal regarding "modernisation", as explained to me by a bloke in the pub, is that the RMT aren't signing up to agree with NR's modernisation agenda, as the employers wanted them to do, but also if they've not got a live dispute, and it doesn't look like they're about to ballot over it, then that stays at the level of a relatively toothless disagreement, rather than actively blocking it. Although I'm not really clear on what the modernisation plans involve, since driver-only operation and ticket office closures are both TOC matters. I'm sure Network Rail modernisation also involves bad stuff but I dunno exactly what.

In other news, Unison emailed me today to urge me to vote yes on the NHS pay deal. I'm not going to do that, partly because I think it's a crap deal and health workers deserve better, but also, and this reason's arguably a bit more important, because I don't work for the NHS and so I don't get a vote. 🤷‍♂️

Hmmm, I can see how there might be some of that - some of my colleagues live far enough from work that they can't get in on train strike days, and I imagine pre-pandemic that must've caused major disruption but now it's just "ok, looks like I'm working from home that day". But having said that, the RMT member I was talking to did also point out that Drax gets all its fuel by rail, and I reckon the government would not be too happy to "take the pain" if rail workers shut down supplies to Drax for any noticeable length of time.

Oh, and the detail of the Network Rail deal regarding "modernisation", as explained to me by a bloke in the pub, is that the RMT aren't signing up to agree with NR's modernisation agenda, as the employers wanted them to do, but also if they've not got a live dispute, and it doesn't look like they're about to ballot over it, then that stays at the level of a relatively toothless disagreement, rather than actively blocking it. Although I'm not really clear on what the modernisation plans involve, since driver-only operation and ticket office closures are both TOC matters. I'm sure Network Rail modernisation also involves bad stuff but I dunno exactly what.
Yeah, what the bosses are doing currently is attacking workers on many fronts under the same dispute. For example the pension attacks are the biggest issue for LU workers which is dictating the action but there’s other attacks happening simultaneously against singular grades, usually station staff.

Article from voice.wales - which is the decent one, not to be confused with the other one:

Although I'm not really clear on what the modernisation plans involve

i'm not expert on railway matters, but my understanding is it means what bosses usually mean by 'modernisation' - more work for less money. have heard it involves cuts to maintenance, and while there might be a headline pay rise, there's cuts to shift allowances and that sort of thing.

RMT dispute with train operating companies not over, but next strike days suspended for new talks

The webpage isn't particularly clear about what it involves, but the Organise Now lot are encouraging people to mark May Day by speaking to local retail and service workers, which seems fairly worthwhile:

Some background on UCU internal decisions, Vicky Blake is doing a Q&A with members of several London branches later today.

Have the UCU members in HE on here signed the rank and file open letter yet? If you've not seen it, message me and I'll send the link.

NHS: RCN RCM + RMT + NEU Wales, not sure where we are at with NEU England
Possible however the government seem to be covering the employers losses in the rail dispute so I don’t think so .
Public sector generally take pay increases out of reserves in my experience?

NHS: RCN RCM + RMT + NEU Wales, not sure where we are at with NEU England
Don't think NEU have had a new offer yet but spoke to a teacher recently who reckoned that the likely outcome would be the government offering a deal along the lines of the NHS one very soon and the leadership accepting it. The person I spoke to predicted some likely dates, but can't remember what they were. Anyone know what's up with the posties?

Vicky ia an absolute star. Such a shame she is no longer part of negotiating team.

BMA just announced the doctors will go out for 4 days in April.

I don’t know what to think. This is so hardcore. Four day bank holiday, four day strike, two day weekend= Ten days. All with no elective work. Many Consultants on Easter holidays- Trusts will struggle to cover with remaining Consultants and SAS doctors.

I voted No, but I went out this month in solidarity. But this? I’ve been offered to act up (as Consultant) during IA (with the Trust telling me as am acting up I wouldn’t be a junior- but I am still really). On the one hand, I feel bad for not standing with the other crabs. And from taking the significant locum fee for residential night on call (could donate to BMA strike fund?). On the other hand, I think this is too far. What about the patients? We will never get 33% and the NHS is broken.

Crab or scab?

Back
Top Bottom