Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - BBC2 10pm from 16th March

...I think his point was actually about reading books for adults rather than harry fucking potter :p:D

And a completely valid statement in favour of good art (william blake) verses bad art (harry potter).

If that's snobby then so be it, I'm fucked off with people think that reading trash like the Potter books consitutes anythinhg apart from bad taste(they're a total rip off of Discworld novels anyhow).

They could have made a bit more of an effort to get the sound correct though that mic (SM57?) sucked.

And a completely valid statement in favour of good art (william blake) verses bad art (harry potter).

If that's snobby then so be it, I'm fucked off with people think that reading trash like the Potter books consitutes anythinhg apart from bad taste(they're a total rip off of Discworld novels anyhow).

I'd love to hear your explanation of this :)

...I think his point was actually about reading books for adults rather than harry fucking potter :p:D

Ive never read HP, but him showing off about how he's read , and I quote "The entire works of the visionary romantic poet William Blake" and is therefore better than people who only read a bit of Harry Potter was patronising.

Sorry, not everyone has been to Oxford, not everyone is as intelligent as him - HP has got a lot of people reading who wouldnt otherwise, and his joke just smacked of snobbishness to me. Myabe more people should read childrens/fantasy books - if it gets them reading, so be it.

Im sure it would be great if everyone had a great education and could read entire works of poetry, but to look down on people becasue they havn't is a bit of wind up to me.

Poeple should be encouraged to read more, but the way he put it was condescending.

Lots of oxbridge comedy is like this - the british airwaves is full of it.

*just taking my work frustrations out on this thread - i couldnt really give a shit to be honest.:oops:

I thought the fact that it didn't make any sense made it funny.

fair enough then

I'd love to hear your explanation of this :)

:)
I am your servant.

Before the arrival of J. K. Rowling, Britain's bestselling author was comic fantasy writer Terry Pratchett. His Discworld books, beginning with The Colour of Magic in 1983, satirise and parody common fantasy literature conventions. Pratchett is repeatedly asked if he "got" his idea for his magic college, the Unseen University, from Harry Potter's Hogwarts, or if the young wizard Ponder Stibbons (who first appeared in 1990), who has dark hair and glasses, was inspired by Harry Potter. Both in fact predate Rowling's work by several years; Pratchett jokingly claims that yes he did steal them, though "I of course used a time machine."[56] The BBC and other British news agencies have emphasised a supposed rivalry between Pratchett and Rowling,[57] but Pratchett has said on record that, while he doesn't put Rowling on a pedestal, he doesn't consider her a bad writer, nor does he envy her success.[58] Claims of rivalry were due to a letter he wrote to The Sunday Times, about an article published declaring that fantasy "looks backward to an idealized, romanticized, pseudofeudal world, where knights and ladies morris-dance to Greensleeves".[59] Actually, he was protesting the ineptitude of journalists in that genre, many of whom did not research their work and, in this case, contradicted themselves in the same article.[60]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_influences_and_analogues#Discworld

Must say (that) before the Potters went ballistic, my initial reaction was RIPOFF! and :mad:

deeper rip off than just pratchett though. There's elements of tom browns schooldays, wizard of earthsea, LOTR etc.

It's pretty much a fantasy pastiche for kids- nothing wrong with that I suppose. But the books elevation as great cultural objects as deigned by booker-sucking lit-snob journos who bought the editions with the adult jackets and pronounced them great from a position of total ignorance to the field of spec. fiction is annoying.

Loads of stories have had schools of wizardry. Not sure you could genuinely argue that HP is a ripoff of the Discworld novels, which is what you originally claimed.

You're wrong, though.

LOL, yeah some anonymous poster on Urban's really going to change my opinion with such deep and insightful comments such as yours...LOL (again)

This is not a HP V Discworld thread.

Wanna take it back to Stewart Lee ?

I believe The Worst Witch came out about a decade before the first Discworld book, and that's much closer to Harry Potter in almost every way.

I believe The Worst Witch came out about a decade before the first Discworld book, and that's much closer to Harry Potter in almost every way.

Yes yes yes...I'm sure it is too....:rolleyes:

Now, got any opinions on Stewart Lee?

LOL, yeah some anonymous poster on Urban's really going to change my opinion with such deep and insightful comments such as yours...LOL (again)

This is not a HP V Discworld thread.

Wanna take it back to Stewart Lee ?

I've already discussed both Stewart Lee and his new programme on this thread. You're the one who brought up the bizarre and inaccurate HP/Discworld thing :)

Back
Top Bottom