Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lesser Spotted Comedy Gold

Never forget Clive striding past the CKFC (the horror, the horror) with his head bowed to the tune of that haunting goldfrapp song. BBC3 of all channels. I think this was around the same time as Being Human? I would have to check. Loved that prog

Never forget Clive striding past the CKFC (the horror, the horror) with his head bowed to the tune of that haunting goldfrapp song. BBC3 of all channels. I think this was around the same time as Being Human? I would have to check. Loved that prog
I'd read somewhere that the head writer knew Alison and they had permission to use the song in that part of the cartoon before the album even came out. But there were production delays and whatnot (for years!!) so the album ending up coming out first. It would've been that little bit more haunting not knowing where in the hell the tune came from. Given how up to date some of the other clips are, Clive must have been one of the first bits completed.

Aaaand I went to try and see if I could find if my memory was correct and it's just in the wikipedia page for Monkey Dust where any fool could find it. :)

Sharon Horgan's "Pulling" was bloody good. I'm not up to embedding clips off YouTube and I can't really remember specific scenes except for Karen the teacher and Dennis Pennis waking up in her primary school classroom absolutely fucked from the night before and trying to get out before the kids arrive.

And "cocklollies!" which now seem to exist in a shop in Soho....

Just found that S1 is on the BBC iPlayer so I'll be having a look at that to see if it's as funny as I remember

Oh joy! Both series of Pulling are on the iPlayer. That's me for the afternoon.

I didn't know it was co-written by Dennis Kelly who went on to write what I think is one of the best things ever on British TV - Utopia.

That's a helluva a cast for something I'd never heard of!

It's really good. Seek it out if you can.

It's got both strong comedy performers, but also bona fide thespians. It's more at the dramedy than the sitcom end of the spectrum. There is broadness, but there are also character arcs and character development. The relationships ring true. More than anything its two brief series serve as an effective eulogy to the talent of Charlotte Coleman, who effectively anchors the whole thing.

New stand up i discovered last year. Passed away from diabetes complications unfortunately but very funny.
NSFW, etc.

Back
Top Bottom