Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - BBC2 10pm from 16th March

nearly spat maltesers and water on my trousers at two separate points of the show.
Sketches worked much better this time - Ian Curtis love will tear us apart sushi advert was hysterical.
but we didn't really need the literal recreation of ch4/e4 spewing sewage - I got the point without having to see it acted out OK (and hasn't that image been used before?)
was funnier with the unexpected repetition the second time round, over done as viewers commentary on the whole show at the end.

I'm going off him rapidly.

Last week I found him funny but a bit irritating - this week I just found him condescending and up his own arse. He seems to think that his attacks on low-brow entertainment are righteous - they're not. Just sneering and patronising. Charlie Brooker's more on-the-ball and heaps funnier.

Pity. Stewart Lee used to be good.

Yes, just thinking how he does at times seem like a poor man's Charlie Brooker. He clearly has little to do with low-brow culture, so his jokes lack any incisveness and often seem a little dated. He sometimes sounds like yourgrandad taking the piss out of the latest pop group. Compare this to 's commentswho actually watches these programmes.

When he was doing the bit about his first words, it was so disjointed and the punchline so lazy I wondered if he was taking the piss out of the sychophantic audience he had seemed to gather for the filming.

Lee and Herring are still my favourite comedy doble act (I've spent all aftyernoon watching Fist of Fun which is available on Stewart Lee'swebsite, but this is pretty dreadful. The accoutrements of high culture can't hide the fact that this is just bad comedy.

tepid.

one good line - 'foreign insects'.

shite look at audience/camera device.

lame subject matter.

used to love mr lee. couldn't be arsed to watch to the end.

gx

i thought it was very funny - much better than last week's. i like the fact that he doesn't cram too much into each half hour.

"My DVD got reviewed in Nuts and Zoo magazine, but I refused to do any interviews with them, because you don’t really want those sorts of people coming to see you. I might have done ten years ago, before I was bitter, but now I just think it’ll make for a miserable night. A room of thick people, you couldn’t use irony, I’m too old to struggle.”

linky
Thanks for the article!
I love his struggle and how honest he is about the compromises he has had to make. This bit below amused me in particular.

Its from 2 years ago and yet speaks to all the scandalacious, no back bone bullshit the BBC continually heaps upon itself.

“I have a much more straight-forward relationship with my editor at the Sunday Times culture section than I’ve ever had with anyone at the BBC, who are the most duplicitous, lying, dishonest people.

I feel much happier, much more ethically comfortable writing for a Murdoch newspaper than I would doing anything for BBC2, which to me is just so mad and chaotic and dishonest and panicky.

I’ve wasted so much of my time there. There are things I wouldn’t do, I wouldn’t write for the BNP paper, but no-ones ever censored anything I’ve done for The Sunday Times on the grounds of politics or taste. Whereas you run into that sort of thing all the time in the BBC."

---

He's generally quite subdued on panel shows. His soft, slow delivery of material isn't exactly tailored to the "zinger" based fast pace of those sort of programs. The absolute classic from him was his appearance on the Radio 4 show "Hearsay". He basically slagged off the entire audience and most of the panel:

Loved him kicking off at the audience, the silence and embarrassment, the 4 people clapping, and David Baddiel's panic! Brilliant.

Thanks both of you for the links :) I really enjoyed them.

i thought it was very funny - much better than last week's. i like the fact that he doesn't cram too much into each half hour.
The Delboy stuff bored me, but it was better crafted than last week. I gave the sketches two weeks and I now agree with PieEye; the sketches fuck with the pacing of the showing for no discernible benefit.

I will always love Stewart Lee and support whatever he's doing but I don't think this series is gonna work. I can imagine me alerting my mates to it and them being hugely disappointed which, after so many other experiences like that, I just didn't bother to do this time. Most of my mates are pretty thick though.

I actually thought the sketches worked much better this week. I loved the sewage pouring out of the TV sketch - that was the only real lol of the episode for me. And I enjoyed the giant del boy festivities.

Generally the stand up segment wasn't as funny. Some of the targets are a little obvious and his points a little weak and he does suffer in comparison with Charlie Brooker when tackling popular culture. I wish he'd move onto something else really. But I enjoyed the general bloodymindedness of it. I didn't laugh much but it was enjoyable enough.

tepid.

one good line - 'foreign insects'.

shite look at audience/camera device.

lame subject matter.

used to love mr lee. couldn't be arsed to watch to the end.

gx
If you don't watch a Stewart Lee set to the very, very end then you will miss the entire point of the whole thing. He isn't a gagmeister, he's an artist. And he crafts his point in such a way to create his intended perception shift right at the end. He's a bone fide comic genius, with no modern equivalent.

I really don't see the point of the skits though. His last tour included the Channel 4/E4 stuff and it worked much better without visually belabouring the point, I thought. Maybe he just thought that he *had* to do some kind of sketch to justify the format?

Generally the stand up segment wasn't as funny. Some of the targets are a little obvious and his points a little weak and he does suffer in comparison with Charlie Brooker when tackling popular culture. I wish he'd move onto something else really. But I enjoyed the general bloodymindedness of it. I didn't laugh much but it was enjoyable enough.
His stand up is pure 100% perfection. But you have to realise that for most of it, he is trying to make you uncomfortable rather than amused. He's knocking down the comfortable internal walls so that he can create the denouement at the right time and in the right way.

Anybody that watches Stewart Lee and expects a load of jokes in the manner of other comedians is really in for a bad time.

The sort of people who vote for Delboy falling through the bar?

I've had stand up rows over my contention that watching Only Fools... at this stage in my life is more akin to torture than comedy. That show has made me hate crafty cockneys pretty badly. There's a bloke on a stall in Romford Market who started out selling a few bits of Only Fools merch a few years ago, which gradually increased to the point where he was setting up his stall next to a yellow reliant robin, wearing a flat cap and sheepskin and talking in Del Boy's voice.

I dunno how popular that show is elsewhere in the UK but Delboy is a deity round here.

The thing is, in the context of that episode, Delboy falling over was a perfectly funny thing to happen. And David Jason's performance made it funny. Snipped out of context for a clip show, I can imagine people being bemused that it was so popular.

Stewart Lee really misses Richard Herring. When he was lying on the floor shouting about Delboy, he was practically impersonating Rich. He writes routines for a double act but performs them solo.

Stewart Lee really misses Richard Herring. When he was lying on the floor shouting about Delboy, he was practically impersonating Rich. He writes routines for a double act but performs them solo.

I'd love to see them properly back together again.

I'd love to see them properly back together again.
I saw them together a few years ago at a one-off comedy thingy called Tedstock. They did a pisstake of the "I'm a mac, I'm a PC" adverts. It was utterly brilliant.

I still prefer Stewart Lee as a dedicated stand-up though. Saying that, a half hour doesn't necessarily suit him best -- watching him craft more like an hour's material and seeing him synthesise all the threads perfectly for the point at the end is pure joy. "90s comedian" was just brilliant and a lesson to all comics about how to create the art of comedy.

I saw them together a few years ago at a one-off comedy thingy called Tedstock. They did a pisstake of the "I'm a mac, I'm a PC" adverts. It was utterly brilliant.

I still prefer Stewart Lee as a dedicated stand-up though. Saying that, a half hour doesn't necessarily suit him best -- watching him craft more like an hour's material and seeing him synthesise all the threads perfectly for the point at the end is pure joy. "90s comedian" was just brilliant and a lesson to all comics about how to create the art of comedy.

Yeah, I've seen it on youtube, I was just gutted to miss it. I still don't get how I missed it actually, cos I swear I'm signed up to all the newsletters and bulletin boards etc. Fuck you, kabbes, actually now that I think about it. Fuck you in the eye.

His stand up is pure 100% perfection. But you have to realise that for most of it, he is trying to make you uncomfortable rather than amused. He's knocking down the comfortable internal walls so that he can create the denouement at the right time and in the right way.

Anybody that watches Stewart Lee and expects a load of jokes in the manner of other comedians is really in for a bad time.

Yes, but I've seen him do that and be funny too. This week's show just wasn't that funny.

Maybe it's the awkward thirty minute format, but I'm not finding this programme particularly funny. Stewart Lee's an intelligent voice of reason, but I'm not laughing, I'm just nodding along in agreement as he vents his spleen.

On the other hand, I went to see Richard Herring's show the other week, and although he's not as clever and rational as Stewart Lee, his relative daftness makes me laugh.

Maybe this just says more about my ongoing dotage than anything else though... :oops::D

The thing is, in the context of that episode, Delboy falling over was a perfectly funny thing to happen. And David Jason's performance made it funny. Snipped out of context for a clip show, I can imagine people being bemused that it was so popular.

The last time Richard Herring played Offline he went to a very dark place for a while. It wasn't funny at all but I thought it was genius.

I didn't lol last night. The sketches aren't doing anything for me. I like Stu, I want him to succeed, I'm willing to love it, but I don't. :(

The sketches with the Channel 4 thing were pointless because the imagery was really good already. It seemed like a BBC decision to me.

Please.

Mildly amusing when he does it in a stand-up scenario. Not at all amusing when repeated for the 2nd time on a message board.

Thanks. x

I shall do what I like fuckyouverymuch :) (x)

Last night's sketches were fucking terrible but I realise we've been over this.
The standup was weak as well. That Delboy routine isn't all that amusing live. I'm still loving him for doing something different to the current stack of comedy shows we're lumped with...fucking Horden and Corne are still getting shoved up our noses.

Back
Top Bottom