Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - BBC2 10pm from 16th March

Yeah, say what you like but SL is clearly a lot better in every way than Horne and Corden but they are getting the lion's share of the publicity despite the series being slated even by the Sun, NOTW. I think it's only Heat that has liked it.

They were in Time Out last week and the front page featured them saying "These are the Smash and Grab days of our lives" or something.

They KNOW they're shit too!

Say what you like about the pros and cons of this particular series, but anybody that can repeatedly use the phrase "the gaping anus of Jesus" in one of his comedy sets has my loyalty for ever.

His stand up is pure 100% perfection. But you have to realise that for most of it, he is trying to make you uncomfortable rather than amused. He's knocking down the comfortable internal walls so that he can create the denouement at the right time and in the right way.

Anybody that watches Stewart Lee and expects a load of jokes in the manner of other comedians is really in for a bad time.

So he's a comedian that doesn't do comedy? Novel.

Good stuff. And pretty brave to mock the Delboy sketch whilst lying on the stage with his back to the audience. Gentle humour with an unexpected punch in the bollocks occasionally. :)

I met Stewart Lee once - about 12 years ago. Ironically enough it was at a PJ & Duncan (aka Ant & Dec) gig at, I think, the Albert Hall. I was working at Smash Hits at the time and Stew was going out with one of our freelancers whose name escapes me. He seemed quite shy and rather bemused by the whole thing.

Though it was desperatly dissappointing,really wanted to like it cause I like the bloke and his targets are worthy but :(

I met Stewart Lee once - about 12 years ago. Ironically enough it was at a PJ & Duncan (aka Ant & Dec) gig.

I thought the portrait of ant & dec bit was funny.
and the ian curtis sushi thing.
and the delboy festival

:hmm:

I thought I didn't like the sketches.....

hmmm.

he could pick a target that hasn't been in the public eye for years and years and years but then, I guess the bigger point is how much this stuff is accepted as the centre/mainstream of our culture. that nobody watching will fail to get the Delboy, Kilroy, ant & dec references but they might miss the Oscar Wilde one :hmm:

i think he's the finest stand-up we have, but although this show is better than 90% of comedy on TV, it's not showing him at his best

i think he's the finest stand-up we have, but although this show is better than 90% of comedy on TV, it's not showing him at his best

I agree, and also with everyone who said elements of last night's show were written for a double act. One featuring Richard Herring, specifically.

I wasn't sure after the first episode and I think as a whole this series will be judged to be a mixed bag full of lost promise, but I could watch him again and again banging his head on the stage talking about Del Boy. Falling through the bar. On 'Only Fools And Horses.'

The only trouble for me is that his specific kind of drawn-out delivery works well live but not so much in a series of programmes where you're just waiting to see how he's going to do it. Drawn-out delivery, I mean. How's he going to do it? The drawn-out delivery? This week? That he did last week. The drawn-out delivery? Etc.

Yep, agree with that.

I wouldn't say I dislike the show but it's not easy to watch laugh a minute comedy.

I have never found the guy to be witty or funny, and he confirms it with this show. No surprise he was left begging for applause at the end. He just isn't funny, and I think Andy Murray actually has more expression in his voice than Stewart Lee does.

best one yet, i thought. Knew a lot of the content from a show last year. Even the sketches were a bit funnier

I suppose for urbane sophisticates such as myself, having a go at 'political correctness gone mad' is akin to coming out and saying 'What's the deal with airline food?'

I still laughed though but.

Back
Top Bottom