Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX rockets and launches

Returning two boosters will require an upgrade of the range radar equipment at the cape. It currently only tracks one moving object at a time (sensible really - who would want to launch two rockets at once?!). That equipment is US Air Force so will need some negotiation.

PS: JCSAT-16 (sequel to JCSAT-14 as launched on that booster in the re-use tests) launch this Sunday, early in the morning. Launch window opens 06:26 UK time.
Aye, looks like it's pushed back to early next year now. They've already been upgrading the pad ready for the launches. The range safety kit is also part of the upgrade and they've only just started the work on LZ-2.

Pad hardware changes preview new era for Space Coast | NASASpaceFlight.com

Reports of an explosion at a SpaceX's Cape Canaveral Complex 40 launch pad coming through...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — An explosion has rocked the SpaceX launch site in Florida.

NASA says SpaceX was conducting a test firing of its unmanned rocket when the blast occurred Thursday morning. The test, considered routine, was in advance of a planned Saturday launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Buildings several miles away shook from the blast, and multiple explosions continued for several minutes. A cloud of dark smoke filled the overcast sky.

Additional details were not immediately available. But sirens could be heard in the aftermath.

The rocket was supposed to hoist an Israeli satellite this weekend.
CrRZwJ-WIAA3lph.jpg:small

CrRZwRpVUAAfj12.jpg:small

e2a: beginning to sound like the event occurred during pressurisation prior to the hot fire test. Reportedly one firefighter is being airlifted out. Live pad video (channel 4).
2e2a: possibly a lot of aluminium confetti in that weather radar return :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not clear if the payload was in situ yet. (e2a: reported that no payload on board).

AF 45th Space Wing states that no injuries have been reported - firefighter was surveying the fire, apparently. Sounds like there may have been multiple explosions as more than one tank was compromised by the initial event.
CrRcWysWcAEFlFp.jpg:small

Last edited:
SpaceX now confirms payload, Amos 6, was on top and has been lost along with the Falcon 9. Incident due to 'pad issues'.

Yeah I too was wondering about insurance
All rockets and satellites are insured.

This is bad news :( We were looking forward to a re-flown first stage and maybe even Falcon Heavy before the end of the year, but I doubt we'll see anything fly till 2017 at this rate.

There's still the Mars presentation later this month to look forward to though :)

All *commercial* satellites then?
I know most science payloads aren't.

How many years of no claims bonus do you have? and have you any accidents of anyone's fault in the last five years? Hmm ....

Peter B. de Selding‏ @pbdes
Spacecom insured Amos-6 for $285M in marine cargo market, not space insurance market. Launch +1 yr policy would kick in at rocket ignition.

@cbs_spacenews Sat was insured as marine cargo for pre-launch phase. Launch policy didn't kick in because no ignition-w/-intent-to-launch.

Spacecom insured Amos-6 for $285M in marine cargo market, not space insurance market. Launch +1 yr policy would kick in at rocket ignition.

@cbs_spacenews Sat was insured as marine cargo for pre-launch phase. Launch policy didn't kick in because no ignition-w/-intent-to-launch.
Spacecom are seeking $50million or a free flight from SpaceX, apparently.

Apologies that I could not update this thread more promptly with this breaking news but at the weekend I observed a man in a SpaceX t-shirt in Guildford Waitrose.

That engadget article is terrible. Full of mistakes, eg:

- Red Dragon is a mission to put a Dragon capsule on mars using a flacon heavy as the launch vehicle
- The Mars rocket will use *many more* engines than 9. We're looking at around 20-30 engines on the 1st stage alone.

Last edited:
We will find out tomorrow when Musk gives his presentation. Streaming live at 19:30 uk time.

Best guesses so far are for in-situ manufacture of all return propellants - CH4 and O2, from Martian ice and air.

Awesome, I have been a huge fan of Zubrin and have facepalmed so much at NASA and their entitlement.

To save on weight, believe it or not, Zubrin proved that by carrying Hydrogen needed for the CH4 manufacture on Mars was more efficient than having to haul extra equipment for extracting it, the Hydrogen needed was 7% of the total weight of the return journies fuel requirement.

Just noticed, Mars direct Wiki has been edited, glad to see Zubrin has some heavy hitting backing now, NASA should be ashamed of themselves.

With the potentially imminent advent of low-cost heavy lift capability, Zubrin has posited a dramatically lower cost manned Mars mission using hardware developed by space transport company SpaceX. In this simpler plan, a crew of two would be sent to Mars by a single Falcon Heavy launch, the Dragon spacecraft acting as their interplanetary cruise habitat. Additional living space for the journey would be enabled through the use of inflatable add-on modules if required. The problems associated with long-term weightlessness would be addressed in the same manner as the baseline Mars Direct plan, a tether between the Dragon habitat and the TMI (Trans-Mars Injection) stage acting to allow rotation of the craft.

The Dragon's heatshield characteristics could allow for a safe descent if landing rockets of sufficient power were made available. Research at NASA's Ames Research Center has demonstrated that a robotic Dragon would be capable of a fully propulsive landing on the Martian surface.[citation needed] On the surface, the crew would have at their disposal two Dragon spacecraft with inflatable modules as habitats, two ERVs, two Mars ascent vehicles and 8 tonnes of cargo.

Here is a You Tube Documentary on Zubrin outlining everything.

Last edited:
Apologies that I could not update this thread more promptly with this breaking news but at the weekend I observed a man in a SpaceX t-shirt in Guildford Waitrose.

SpaceX has offices in Guildford, so no need to rush to the presses with this.

Back
Top Bottom