Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SpaceX to launch 60 Satellites in one go

Just to mention that recent observations are suggesting some of the Starlinks appear to be repeatedly, regularly flaring (possibly due to a configuration they are being placed in during the positioning phase en route to operational orbits). Not dissimilar to the first generation Iridium flares in some ways; brightening to some large negative magnitudes (have been observed to briefly flare outshining Venus).

Note that this example is from the first full test clutch (May 2019) and as such these were all experimental models.

Will be interesting to see how ideas develop on this and if a model can be built for predictions as it was for the Iridiums. Plus to what degree operational models may (or may not) start to exhibit the same behaviour. Though if this is a transitory phase, some sort of temporary experimental configuration, and given how SpaceX like to keep their cards close to their chest, there may not be much mileage in this.

Same for me in Bethnal Green, I think we're just in the right place this time round.

(awaits 2hats clever explanation that I half understand)

Next set of passes over the UK from now (2045) until 2309hrs. Every few tens of seconds to a minute or two separation in time throughout. Some likely will be fairly bright (mag +2 if not better - which is comparable to the stars in the Plough). Chart is for southern UK and first track in black, successive ones will gradually migrate to the green path (with respect to the stars). Venus quite high in the west.
PassStart.png

I saw nowt. Saw some the other night though. Bit hazy here. 22% cloud but I could see Venus and a few stars.

Ah that's great.

They appear to go right over the top of my house, but I assume that's what it looks like for most people right?
More seriously, they are all several hundred km up (400-500 km and are viewable from slant ranges of 1000+ km).

Everyone in and around London (indeed, the SE), being only a few tens of km away from each other, is going to have pretty much the same naked eye view. There will be subtle shifts in parallax with respect to the background stars, but too subtle for casual observers - you'd have to make accurate positional observations/timings and then compare notes with other observers of a similar mind in order to notice anything.

Summary: they are too far away for any huge variation in viewing position over a geographically limited area like a region of the UK.

Far away.

Last edited:
Can any one suggest an easy to use Android satellite tracker. Star constellation are not very helpful for me, I can recognise Orion and that's about it. ☹

Thanks

Last night perhaps saw one or two on the edge of town, not sure. Might try again, but find a field with little light polution

The next SpaceX launch has been brought forward 24 hours. The Starlink 6 tranche are due to leap off pad SLC-39A at the Cape at 2037BST tomorrow evening, Wednesday 22 April.

The timing means you might be able to catch the rocket and upper stage with Starlink satellites only just deployed (they might be hard to resolve individually without decent binoculars and just appear as an extended blob in the sky) some 20 odd minutes post launch. There's also the possibility of upper stage venting (would form a nebulous cloud alongside).

The pass will be from W to E and almost directly overhead (seen from the southern UK) starting around 2056BST, at the zenith at 2059BST and setting by around 2101BST.

The skymap here for SE England but should good enough for locating from anywhere in the southern UK. The satellites and upper stage will rise below Venus (in Taurus).
Starlink6.png

The next SpaceX launch has been brought forward 24 hours. The Starlink 6 tranche are due to leap off pad SLC-39A at the Cape at 2037BST tomorrow evening, Wednesday 22 April.

The timing means you might be able to catch the rocket and upper stage with Starlink satellites only just deployed (they might be hard to resolve individually without decent binoculars and just appear as an extended blob in the sky) some 20 odd minutes post launch. There's also the possibility of upper stage venting (would form a nebulous cloud alongside).

The pass will be from W to E and almost directly overhead (seen from the southern UK) starting around 2056BST, at the zenith at 2059BST and setting by around 2101BST.

The skymap here for SE England but should good enough for locating from anywhere in the southern UK. The satellites and upper stage will rise below Venus (in Taurus).
View attachment 207982
Is that tonight or tomorrow?

SpaceX have tweaked tonight's launch campaign. Now targeting 2030BST so the above mentioned timings should be brought forward 7 minutes - look below Venus at 2049BST and it should track directly upwards to the zenith by 2052BST. Unfortunately the twilight sky will be brighter. New finder chart barely changed of course.
S6est.png

They will still easily be visible during ascent and deployment - all will be in close proximity to each other and the upper stage. Many are also producing strong transient flares (likely coming off the solar panels as they experiment with geometries).

Back
Top Bottom