Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

First Space Launch From UK Soil Today

Oh, it appear the bearded one's launch has failed to get it up to orbit :(

1673308530825.png

Virgin not-orbit

Last edited:
The corporate feed was hideous all the way through but I made myself keep watching to see how badly they would handle coverage of any problems. The live data blatantly showed the altitude going horribly wrong at the end of one stage, but the commentary never acknowledged this and then they took a very long time to even begin to acknowledge the obvious failure.

Now the corporate bullshit is focussing only on the safe return of the plane.

The best bit of the feed was when the youtube chat started attacking the tories due to the interview with Shapps.

The corporate feed was hideous all the way through but I made myself keep watching to see how badly they would handle coverage of any problems. The live data blatantly showed the altitude going horribly wrong at the end of one stage, but the commentary never acknowledged this and then they took a very long time to even begin to acknowledge the obvious failure.

The data was all over the place and the commentator seemed to be suggesting it was "routine" whilst they switched between ground stations.

The data was all over the place and the commentator seemed to be suggesting it was "routine" whilst they switched between ground stations.

Yeah there were also obvious blips in the data but the phase where it plummeted was a sustained drop of altitude data over quite a long period of time, and the data was updating quite smoothly for most of that period. And then there was a prolonged period where they were blatantly playing for time on the feed. That shit is still ongoing.

Just looked back at the period in question, it was showing about 599,000 feet and then there were some data blips, then they switched target lock to Madrid, and we got to see the altitude data decreasing a bit and then another switch of data target and then something from mission control that sounded like 'newton 4 shutdown initiated'. At which point the commentator said this was the shutdown of the second stage engine, and claimed this was the completion of the first burn of the second stage. However I'm not sure that was the correct interpretation, and all signs were increasingly bad from that point onwards, altitude fell several hundred thousand feet further before data stopped and the commentator started diverting attention elsewhere, never having acknowledged the altitude drop. Lack of meaningful updates after that point further raised suspicions of failure, but they didnt have a glossy corporate script to deal with this eventuality.

Last edited:
The commentator also left his mic on at one point during a break where he was talking to himself about how to pronounce the word data in American, and then had to make an awkward joke about this later.

Earlier the corporate speak was insufferable with some prick who had a mouthful of boardroom buzzwords going on about his 'customer set'.

Back
Top Bottom